Log Velka 7 /w 3080Ti + Flex-atx psu

ArcaneITX

Cable Smoosher
Original poster
Jul 9, 2020
Recently picked up a Velka 7, and just had to pack the most nutty hardware possible into it!

Specs
CPU: i7-9700 (8-Core)
Motherboard: Aorus Z390 Aorus Pro AX
RAM: 16GB 2666Mhz CL16 (Pending upgrade)
CPU Cooler: Alpenfohn Blackridge V2
GPU: RTX 3080Ti Founders Edition
Storage: 2x1TB NVME
PSU: Enhance Enp 7660b 600W 80+ Platinmum (Flex-ATX)
Case: Velka 7 V2

Flex-ATX PSU has been used instead of an SFX PSU in order to leave breathing room for the flow-through fan:
Temps are a bit toasty, but overall within a comfortable range (GPU peak 70c, CPU peak 77c after 30 mins).
More to come, will document the mods done to mount the PSU, and planning on installing a 60mm fan to exhaust the heat from the GPU using a custom bracket.

lusoInvictus

Case Bender
New User
May 27, 2022
Cool build! I'll be following your progress has I also have a Velka 7 and those GPU temps look - well - cool. The RTX 3070 peak temperature is ~ 80º C (amb. temp. 24º and 26º C) with PSU at the regular orientation.

Did you happened to measure the temps with a SFX PSU prior?

ArcaneITX

Cable Smoosher
Original poster
Jul 9, 2020
Cool build! I'll be following your progress has I also have a Velka 7 and those GPU temps look - well - cool. The RTX 3070 peak temperature is ~ 80º C (amb. temp. 24º and 26º C) with PSU at the regular orientation.

Did you happened to measure the temps with a SFX PSU prior?
I did not previously run the case with an SFX PSU, no.

The temperatures are much much cooler than they were at stock due to a pretty aggressive undervolt (1800Mhz at 800mV). At stock, the GPU screams into the high 70s, but at the moment I've got it under 63c during light gaming, and peaking at 70c during stress tests like heaven 4.0, furmark, etc. For me silence is very important, so I added a few noctua fans around the case to aide airflow, and this has helped considerably too.

I would absolutely not recommend running this GPU in this case at anything near the stock voltages, especially with an sfx psu blocking the flow-through fan!

lusoInvictus

Case Bender
New User
May 27, 2022
I completely agree with you there, I would always trade off a bit of performance for a quieter setup. Thats the goal: balance between quiet and a powerful system. I didn't mentioned previously but my RTX 3070 FE is undervolted (1850MHz @ 860mV). Also I noticed you did the GPU Shift Mod, right?

I've been researching and I too think the GPU Shift Mod is the best way forward for the case airflow in general with a couple of fans (I'm thinking about 2 Delta's 70x70x15mm, check those out!) between the PSU and front panel as exhaust. I have to either mod/hack the SSD tray (the easiest but none prettiest way) or just 3D print a custom bracket... My 3D modeling skills are lacking though XD

ArcaneITX

Cable Smoosher
Original poster
Jul 9, 2020
Also I noticed you did the GPU Shift Mod, right?
Yes I did do the GPU shift mod, although with the Flex psu it actually doesn't do much. Still, it means that cable management it cleaner, and if I someday get sick of the slightly noisy PSU and switch to a SF750 or something similar, hopefully it'll still be manageable!
I've been researching and I too think the GPU Shift Mod is the best way forward for the case airflow in general with a couple of fans (I'm thinking about 2 Delta's 70x70x15mm, check those out!) between the PSU and front panel as exhaust.
I've seen that mod before, and it seems to work well! This post on reddit in particular has a very thorough set of comments including where to find such fans, the STL file for the GPU riser holder, etc:
Good luck!

Reactions: lusoInvictus