Concept Vapor Frame: The Incredibly Functional Yet Beautiful Sff Case

CAA

Chassis Packer
Aug 2, 2020
I love the looks but the way the radiator and GPU are setup, it looks like their fans would be seriously constrained in terms of airflow. Let me tell you this; no matter how good the case looks, if components are being overheated it won't sell very well. You should look to optimizing airflow. I may be wrong in this but maybe more pictures of the way a fully built system would look like is needed.

Reactions: Rama_Dynamics

Rama_Dynamics

Average Stuffer
Original poster
Nov 14, 2021
I love the looks but the way the radiator and GPU are setup, it looks like their fans would be seriously constrained in terms of airflow. Let me tell you this; no matter how good the case looks, if components are being overheated it won't sell very well. You should look to optimizing airflow. I may be wrong in this but maybe more pictures of the way a fully built system would look like is needed.
I understand your concern. The last vertical render I made had the radiator in a push setup, optimally a pull setup would be best. Additionally, the midplate was not brought forward enough which means there will be a larger gap between the rad and midplate. There are also 2 120 mm fans at the bottom and 2 at the top creating a path for air to enter and exit. The rear panel of the case is almost entirely mesh. The GPU is mounted similarly to what you’d find in the meshlicious, so temps will be similar if not better. There is the option of mounting 240 rads at the bottom/top and rear of the case. Cooling shouldn’t be a problem.
Edit: I will look into ways to open up the midplates to allow more fresh air to pass from the front to the rear chamber.

Last edited:
Reactions: Jamessko

Rama_Dynamics

Average Stuffer
Original poster
Nov 14, 2021
Hi, could we have a render with rads installed of the maxed out config with dual 240 + 360? I am very keen on this development & wish for its reality.
I appreciate the kind words! Absolutely, I am making changes to the Performance model and will upload those later this week. Due to the length of a 360 rad, the reality is that it will be 3 240s, this is with standard thickness radiators and 25 mm fans, although the rear mounted rad can be thicker.

paskowitz

Efficiency Noob
Feb 23, 2022
Just registered here after seeing this project on discord. Very intrigued. I pretty much only do custom water cooled builds, so my perspective is from that POV. Perhaps you have set this up more for AIOs, and that's fine. But if you are desiging with custom loops in mind, I offer my 2 cents.

ATM I'm in an O11D Evo (big case)... but am absolutely sick of the O11 range of cases (<best build of mine IMO) and moving to SFF/SFF-ish next build. ATM my plan is the Johnsplus i100 Pro G (gutted and modded) + external Mo-Ra radiator, but getting enough cooling (>480mm total) in a single package is appealing.
  • I'd be interested in seeing the performance model w/3x240 rads. The standard and pro models with the 360 rad definitely looks chocked to the point of being impractical (at least if you are going >500w or so). That said, I totally get the "picture frame" aesthetic and for those configs, it's probably not worth compromising that too much.
  • In the performance model, the left and right supports for the mobo tray look a little... out of place? The design ID seems different than the rest of the case. Nor are the holes large enough to facilitate meaningful airflow (it'll just go around, which may be fine). I would consider a more skeletal approach with the chamfered edges and soft corners seen on the other surfaces of the mobo wall. Maybe something Piet Mondrian-esk (your mobo supports are sorta in that direction).
  • Asking for D5 pump support is probably a no go, but in small cases, it's sometimes possible if you do a pump top (low profile like Aquacomputer's which is <100mm in any dimension) and the (flat) reservoir separately. Something to consider, as D5s are quieter.
  • Reservoir compatibility and mounting is another important area. Not just fitting it, but also in a place that allows not PIA filling and draining (one reason I've avoided SFF custom loops). IMO, the EK FLT 80 DDC (D5 if possible) would be good reservoirs to design around as they are widely available and compact.
  • Fans and radiators often perform better in push than in pull.
  • Spots for fan splitters or controllers (Aquacomputer Quadro/Octo). Doesn't have to be designed for them, just that those may be things people want to include in their setup.
  • I'd love to see polished aluminum (could sell as raw and have user polish. It's not hard) as an accent option. Or anodized black with machined edges (post anodization)
  • Interested on how cable management will work. It would be cool if you could publish recommended (custom) cable lengths. Perhaps screw holes for panel mount cable combs like those from Clockwerk Industries.
That's all I've got for now. I look forward to seeing how this project develops.🙂

Rama_Dynamics

Average Stuffer
Original poster
Nov 14, 2021
Just registered here after seeing this project on discord. Very intrigued. I pretty much only do custom water cooled builds, so my perspective is from that POV. Perhaps you have set this up more for AIOs, and that's fine. But if you are desiging with custom loops in mind, I offer my 2 cents.

ATM I'm in an O11D Evo (big case)... but am absolutely sick of the O11 range of cases (<best build of mine IMO) and moving to SFF/SFF-ish next build. ATM my plan is the Johnsplus i100 Pro G (gutted and modded) + external Mo-Ra radiator, but getting enough cooling (>480mm total) in a single package is appealing.
First of all, I greatly appreciate the effort that you went through to bring me your two cents. I was not aware there was any discussion about this case on discord, could you link me to that? As a side note, your builds look incredible, and I appreciate you linking them :)

• I'd be interested in seeing the performance model w/3x240 rads. The standard and pro models with the 360 rad definitely looks chocked to the point of being impractical (at least if you are going >500w or so). That said, I totally get the "picture frame" aesthetic and for those configs, it's probably not worth compromising that too much.
I understand your concern with the 360 rad being choked, I am working on ways to integrate panels that can be removed to open up the middle of the case and bring fresh air from the front chamber into the rear. I assume that the gap between the motherboard and midplate will also be a good place for air to pass through.

• In the performance model, the left and right supports for the mobo tray look a little... out of place? The design ID seems different than the rest of the case. Nor are the holes large enough to facilitate meaningful airflow (it'll just go around, which may be fine). I would consider a more skeletal approach with the chamfered edges and soft corners seen on the other surfaces of the mobo wall. Maybe something Piet Mondrian-esk (your mobo supports are sorta in that direction).
I have been hesitant about that design choice as well. The holes are meant to balance the design rather than provide meaningful airflow. It is funny that you mentioned this because today's work has been about everything you mentioned here. I might even have a render up today to showcase what I mean. Additionally, so much has changed since the initial renders on the first page that I am going to be replacing those renders soon.

• Asking for D5 pump support is probably a no go, but in small cases, it's sometimes possible if you do a pump top (low profile like Aquacomputer's which is <100mm in any dimension) and the (flat) reservoir separately. Something to consider, as D5s are quieter.
  • Reservoir compatibility and mounting is another important area. Not just fitting it, but also in a place that allows PIA filling and draining (one reason I've avoided SFF custom loops). IMO, the EK FLT 80 DDC (D5 if possible) would be good reservoirs to design around as they are widely available and compact.
  • Fans and radiators often perform better in push than in pull.
I have a FLT 120 and FLT 80 in hand that I am designing the pump mount system for. I will ensure that they work.

• Spots for fan splitters or controllers (Aquacomputer Quadro/Octo). Doesn't have to be designed for them, just that those may be things people want to include in their setup.
There is a cutout in the rad/fan brackets that I intend to be a good spot for a fan splitter.

• I'd love to see polished aluminum (could sell as raw and have user polish. It's not hard) as an accent option. Or anodized black with machined edges (post anodization)
You're referring to the accent pieces that fit into the holes in the side panels?

• Interested on how cable management will work. It would be cool if you could publish recommended (custom) cable lengths. Perhaps screw holes for panel mount cable combs like those from Clockwerk Industries.
That's all I've got for now. I look forward to seeing how this project develops.🙂

As for cable management, I have provided a lot of places to use cable ties/ Velcro straps. The idea is to route most of the cables in between the GPU and Rad up to where the motherboard is. Panel mount cable combs are definitely a thing I will consider :) I really appreciate your support and will keep updating you folks as things pop up!

coby

Chassis Packer
Aug 16, 2021
hello :) case looking super nice, any chance there could be a white version perhaps in e-coat, cerakote or powder coat, prob too early to ask.

Reactions: Rama_Dynamics

Rama_Dynamics

Average Stuffer
Original poster
Nov 14, 2021
hello :) case looking super nice, any chance there could be a white version perhaps in e-coat, cerakote or powder coat, prob too early to ask.
Hey Coby! For the exterior, I am thinking of having it be one color. For internals though, I am planning to have a light version, not quite white but close enough. Everything will be anodized to keep the process simpler.

Reactions: Jamessko and coby

Rama_Dynamics

Average Stuffer
Original poster
Nov 14, 2021
Update to the performance model. I have changed the design to a more modular system. The left and right supports for the motherboard tray are now a 2-piece system, where the inmost panel can be removed for airflow and tube routing. There is also a removable panel above the motherboard tray. In the sample build, 3x240 rads are being used along w/ 25 mm fans. I have also added holes on the motherboard tray for zip ties.

Last edited:

Rama_Dynamics

Average Stuffer
Original poster
Nov 14, 2021
After getting some great feedback from @paskowitz I have made the following changes to the performance model. I expanded on the modular plate system to allow the midplate to be justified to the left, this allows the rear rad to breathe extremely well along with creating enough space for a d5 equipped FLT80 to be mounted at the front. The bracket is mounted to the rail system so it can be moved up or down freely. Additionally, the PSU cable cutout can be expanded for a convenient place to route tubing.
Again, I would like to thank you folks for your support and feedback :)

Last edited:

Rama_Dynamics

Average Stuffer
Original poster
Nov 14, 2021
For good measure, I have also added support for the d5 equipped TBE units from EK. For reference, a TBE 200 is being used. What this means is that we've got 720 mm of full sized rads/fans paired with a d5 res/pump combo and GPUs up to 350 mm in length (300 mm in this configuration), all in 18.6 L of volume.

matique

Caliper Novice
Oct 28, 2020
For good measure, I have also added support for the d5 equipped TBE units from EK. For reference, a TBE 200 is being used. What this means is that we've got 720 mm of full sized rads/fans paired with a d5 res/pump combo and GPUs up to 350 mm in length (300 mm in this configuration), all in 18.6 L of volume.

Any consideration to add about 10-12mm in height to accommodate Phanteks T30 fans? They're the absolute best right now and would be nice if it's an option to use them. Otherwise, the extra clearance could also help others use phanteks halos to add rgb to their performance fans if they wish to do so.

Rama_Dynamics

Average Stuffer
Original poster
Nov 14, 2021
Any consideration to add about 10-12mm in height to accommodate Phanteks T30 fans? They're the absolute best right now and would be nice if it's an option to use them. Otherwise, the extra clearance could also help others use phanteks halos to add rgb to their performance fans if they wish to do so.
I am going to make a poll to see what people prefer.

Last edited:

coby

Chassis Packer
Aug 16, 2021
At the rear some changes have been made. A modular IO system has been developed. Panels can be rearranged and swapped out to expand IO and provide extra clearance and flexibility for the system inside. This ensures that at whatever height you have your GPU set, the IO will not interfere. Additionally, the mesh panels can be removed for a nifty display cable exit. The sliding switch power button has also been replaced in favor of this design to better integrate the power LED.
Any chance you could add an option or an extra item for purchase of a perforated front panel to match with the back :? Probably to early to assure but would be sick as an option at least hopefully.

Last edited:

Rama_Dynamics

Average Stuffer
Original poster
Nov 14, 2021
Any chance you could add an option or an extra item for purchase of a perforated front panel to match with the back :? Probably to early to assure but would be sick as an option at least hopefully.
I didn’t have plans to do that originally but I can see the appeal. I’ll add that to my to do list :)

• Love
Reactions: Jamessko and coby

Rama_Dynamics

Average Stuffer
Original poster
Nov 14, 2021
I have made some adjustments to the case to accommodate T30 fans. Thanks to @matique @Sen @Stinkybear for the suggestion. Overall the case is sitting at 450 mm (height) x 292 mm (width) x 147 mm (depth), 19.3 L. This change will also enable 360 rad users to use a full 15 mm fan bracket along with a full 25 mm fan bracket, rather than a split 15/25 setup.

Qu1ckset

Cable-Tie Ninja
Feb 9, 2020
Awesome work so far, cant wait to see this case all the way through.. do you have any idea when you'd be able to get some samples made ?

also could you make some basic renders next to some popular case to get a better idea of size ?

Rama_Dynamics

Average Stuffer
Original poster
Nov 14, 2021
Awesome work so far, cant wait to see this case all the way through.. do you have any idea when you'd be able to get some samples made ?

also could you make some basic renders next to some popular case to get a better idea of size ?
There’s still a bit of modeling work to be done, I reckon 3-4 weeks. After that it will be factory hunting. I don’t want to make any estimates as to give any false hope. Just know we’re doing our best every day we work on this project :)

Here’s a link to a size comparison between a few sff cases.