Stalled [Update: 22-02-2021 - V1.1 Revised internals] LytCase Rogue: 8.9L Sandwich style case with 240mm AIO support.

Keep sub 9L volume or exceed 9L for better overall compatibility?

• Keep sub 9L with 2lot configuration and better cpu block clearance

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Keep aub 9L with 2.5slot and limited cpu block clearance

Votes: 11 40.7%
  • Exceed 9L only to the point where a 3 slot card can fit

Votes: 11 40.7%
  • Go full-on - 3slot, standard fans, cpu block clearance etc.

Votes: 5 18.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

iksretep

Trash Compacter
Oct 21, 2016
now it's the pins, i can't ? ... love the minimalistic design which reminds me a bit of what I would pull from the cases below plus a sandwich style. Keep the updates coming @Lytnin you're doing fantastic!

Reactions: thelaughingman

Lytnin

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Original poster
May 2, 2020
Hey @Lytnin, maybe you should start using polls for community feedback?
(e.g. normal vs flipped orientation, increasing GPU thickness, etc.)
Im definitely not opposed to it, however kinda late in the game to do major changes... Also, if i keep doing changes it costs me.... So i need to make sure that it's a change i absolutely need to incorporate

hmnzr

Chassis Packer
Oct 10, 2019
Damn, it looks sexy af, great work! I’m personally cool with the current design btw, not sure if another vent holes pattern will look better, might be useful to play with it though.

Reactions: Lytnin

SFF Watercooled

Master of Cramming
Sep 26, 2020
I just typed 130mm * 230mm * 301mm into a calculator... Because you know, I was experimenting with dimensions. Was thinking about 25mm fan support lol. And the answer I got? Well, it was sub 9L, first of all. But here is the exact volume:
8.9999L

Lol I just randomly punched some numbers into a calculator
I pretty much found 3 factors of 8999900 by accident

• Haha
Reactions: Lytnin

Lytnin

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Original poster
May 2, 2020
I just typed 130mm * 230mm * 301mm into a calculator... Because you know, I was experimenting with dimensions. Was thinking about 25mm fan support lol. And the answer I got? Well, it was sub 9L, first of all. But here is the exact volume:
8.9999L

Lol I just randomly punched some numbers into a calculator
I pretty much found 3 factors of 8999900 by accident
301mm doesn't work btw, the first sample that failed was 301mm and there was zero clearance between the motherboard and the PSU.. the 24pin wouldn't fit... Thats why i went with 305mm

SFF Watercooled

Master of Cramming
Sep 26, 2020
Hmm... You said you extended the case to 305mm because the 24 pin was obstructed by the PSU? Doesn't seem like it in the Velka 5 rev 1.1 build:

Or maybe it's just the custom cables?

Last edited:

thelaughingman

SFF Guru
Jul 14, 2018
Hey guys, Post updated with a build an test fit!
thank you for the build! couple of question:
  • how's the clearance for a 3rd fan under the radiator?
  • riser cable mount appears a bit high - what is the height of supported GPU now? If possible please lower it the mounting for more clearance, as most GPU waterblock has terminal on 'top' and are quite tall

Lytnin

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Original poster
May 2, 2020
thank you for the build! couple of question:
  • how's the clearance for a 3rd fan under the radiator?
  • riser cable mount appears a bit high - what is the height of supported GPU now? If possible please lower it the mounting for more clearance, as most GPU waterblock has terminal on 'top' and are quite tall
Hey,
I doubt you can fit a third fan, as the space is pretty limited.
Thats the lowest the riser cable can go, as the pci-e bracket will interfere with the power cable... As for the top, id say you have around 27-28mm of clearance above the current pcb ( which is a reference design pcb)

thelaughingman

SFF Guru
Jul 14, 2018
Hey,
I doubt you can fit a third fan, as the space is pretty limited.
Thats the lowest the riser cable can go, as the pci-e bracket will interfere with the power cable... As for the top, id say you have around 27-28mm of clearance above the current pcb ( which is a reference design pcb)
Just took a quick measure of my T1 - between the 3rd fan and the top of the PSU is 30mm, take away 10mm of the cable connector and I have 20mm clearance left. So it should be possible like this? Unless the PSU on the Rogue sits higher

For the rad chamber - the combo you have in there is 40mm total height right? Do you have any other AIO with 30mm rad? Would like to see the exact clearance with the top panel on.

As always, keep up the good work!

Reactions: iksretep

Brude27

Master of Cramming
Jun 21, 2018
Hey guys, Post updated with a build an test fit!
It looks great, and the temps are solid! Was building in it everything you had hoped for? Were there any unforeseen issues that showed up that you intend to change prior to production?

I meant to ask this before as well, but do your panel rattle with your mounting system? I haven't had a case with this style of panel "clips" before, and despised that my Ghost's (before I replaced it) panels rattled unless I used to tape to fill the gap.

Another thing... would this case be able to accommodate dual 120mm AIOs?

Lytnin

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Original poster
May 2, 2020
Just took a quick measure of my T1 - between the 3rd fan and the top of the PSU is 30mm, take away 10mm of the cable connector and I have 20mm clearance left. So it should be possible like this? Unless the PSU on the Rogue sits higher

For the rad chamber - the combo you have in there is 40mm total height right? Do you have any other AIO with 30mm rad? Would like to see the exact clearance with the top panel on.

As always, keep up the good work!
The problem is that the Rogue is short in length, 305 vs 330 in the t1, so the rad above doesn't align with the gap above the PSU. Theres a total of 54mm clearance above the PSU:

I dont have a 30mm one at the moment, usually go with 25-27mm ones.... but there's around 6mm of clearance left (this was tricky to take a photo of lol):

Sorry couldn't get a better picture to show my point here.

It looks great, and the temps are solid! Was building in it everything you had hoped for? Were there any unforeseen issues that showed up that you intend to change prior to production?

I meant to ask this before as well, but do your panel rattle with your mounting system? I haven't had a case with this style of panel "clips" before, and despised that my Ghost's (before I replaced it) panels rattled unless I used to tape to fill the gap.

Another thing... would this case be able to accommodate dual 120mm AIOs?
Was a bit harder than I imagined to build in, but wasn't that big of a deal... the real pain was the quick disconnect, I did not account for that.... the mother board standoff were a very slight bit miss aligned but was still able to screw it in no probs.... and that's it really.

The clips are a bit stiffer than what I would have liked for the front panel.... as for the rattle, the only panel that does that is the top panel... which I think is due to an error with the slot sizes, as it wobbles just a bit....

I think all of the above mentioned issues can be addressed before production.

thelaughingman

SFF Guru
Jul 14, 2018
The problem is that the Rogue is short in length, 305 vs 330 in the t1, so the rad above doesn't align with the gap above the PSU. Theres a total of 54mm clearance above the PSU:

oh that is plenty of clearance, similar to the T1 actually! in the T1 people have to use double 45 adapter, or in my case it's the Bitspower X-Cross fitting. all is well

I dont have a 30mm one at the moment, usually go with 25-27mm ones.... but there's around 6mm of clearance left (this was tricky to take a photo of lol):

Sorry couldn't get a better picture to show my point here.
it's plenty clear, thanks!

btw not sure if it's even practical but if you were to rejig the chamber clearance for thicker GPU, maybe the power button can be relocated to be just above the PCIE bracket? so instead of the standard piece of aluminium as a bracket stopper, it doubles as the plate for the power button mount too ?

Lytnin

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Original poster
May 2, 2020
btw not sure if it's even practical but if you were to rejig the chamber clearance for thicker GPU, maybe the power button can be relocated to be just above the PCIE bracket? so instead of the standard piece of aluminium as a bracket stopper, it doubles as the plate for the power button mount too ?
Thought about that, but wouldn't that obstruct GPUs with tall PCBs?

thelaughingman

SFF Guru
Jul 14, 2018
Thought about that, but wouldn't that obstruct GPUs with tall PCBs?
I just go off the pic of your test build. I don't think PCB can get that tall, more likely than not it's the GPU shroud with all the gamery-shape/angles. TBH with the power button at the back, I wouldn't mind a pigtal solution - the button not attached to the case at all

Lytnin

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Original poster
May 2, 2020
I just go off the pic of your test build. I don't think PCB can get that tall, more likely than not it's the GPU shroud with all the gamery-shape/angles. TBH with the power button at the back, I wouldn't mind a pigtal solution - the button not attached to the case at all
I wouldn't like it having a pig tail at all lol... But trust me with all the feedback from here and reddit... My mind has been rattling trying to find a solution to support at least a 2.5slot GPU