Stalled [Update: 22-02-2021 - V1.1 Revised internals] LytCase Rogue: 8.9L Sandwich style case with 240mm AIO support.

Keep sub 9L volume or exceed 9L for better overall compatibility?

• Keep sub 9L with 2lot configuration and better cpu block clearance

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Keep aub 9L with 2.5slot and limited cpu block clearance

Votes: 11 40.7%
  • Exceed 9L only to the point where a 3 slot card can fit

Votes: 11 40.7%
  • Go full-on - 3slot, standard fans, cpu block clearance etc.

Votes: 5 18.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

iksretep

Trash Compacter
Oct 21, 2016
That bulid looks awesome! Man those quick disconnects are chonky. I'm still hoping I could still cram in the EK SE240 and 15mm Noctuas. If not I managed to get a TX240 and all of it's 20.5mm glory ... and still have 12mm Scythe fans standing by. Speaking of chonk, I'm in a love/hate relationship with the Vega 56 water block from Bykski ... this is in NR200, and I still can't get enough clearance, had to go with low profile terminal plugs.

I'm very close to taking it all apart and start sanding down the acrylic, god knows there is enough in there.

Edit: OMG ... so sorry for the obnoxiously sized photos ?

Lytnin

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Original poster
May 2, 2020
That bulid looks awesome! Man those quick disconnects are chonky. I'm still hoping I could still cram in the EK SE240 and 15mm Noctuas. If not I managed to get a TX240 and all of it's 20.5mm glory ... and still have 12mm Scythe fans standing by. Speaking of chonk, I'm in a love/hate relationship with the Vega 56 water block from Bykski ... this is in NR200, and I still can't get enough clearance, had to go with low profile terminal plugs.

I'm very close to taking it all apart and start sanding down the acrylic, god knows there is enough in there.

Edit: OMG ... so sorry for the obnoxiously sized photos ?
Lol the photos are fine... Do you have a measurement of that block?

SFF Watercooled

Master of Cramming
Sep 26, 2020
Also, please look at the Winter One mounting system. It's literally just 2 sticks screwed into the case...

This should remove the spine and also make assembly easier
@Lytnin how about that?!

iksretep

Trash Compacter
Oct 21, 2016
Lol the photos are fine... Do you have a measurement of that block?
I don't have exact measurements, but to give you an idea how thick this thing is; OptimumTech has a video with the NR200 and a water block + bottom rad has a 25mm fans ... so there, I'm special ?

Lytnin

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Original poster
May 2, 2020
For the rad chamber - the combo you have in there is 40mm total height right? Do you have any other AIO with 30mm rad? Would like to see the exact clearance with the top panel on.
Can you try a 30mm radiator? The LT240 only has a 25mm radiator

I found my old broken down x52 kraken which is 30mm... not gonna go through the hassle of installing it but here are a few photos just to give you an idea of the clearance with a 30mm and 15mm fans.... I rested the rad on the edge of the rad chamber support:

keep in mind that the fans have rubber anti vibration pads below as well... but the clearance seems to be exact, the top panel should have no issues closing.

Another thing... would this case be able to accommodate dual 120mm AIOs?
Just realized i didnt answer you in full lol... dual 120mms would be hard, i think the smallest 120mm aio measures 150ish mm in length? so 2x150= 300mm, so no that wont fit.

SFF Watercooled

Master of Cramming
Sep 26, 2020
So far, I'm very happy about how this case is turning out. I *do* have a few nitpicks, they make minimal difference. Overall everything you can ever want in a sub 9L case!

Reactions: Lytnin

SFF Watercooled

Master of Cramming
Sep 26, 2020
Nitpicks are:
  • Not flipped orientation (Doesn't matter a lot, but increases airflow and decreases height)
  • Only 2 slot GPU thickness (2.5 slots at least)
  • No movable mounting (Well it's not very necessary but it'll be nice)
  • Not spineless (I think the Winter One is a very good example of a spineless case)
  • Probably length can be decreased by ~1-2mm (Not a big difference, but will make the case a tad bit smaller)
I think that some of these should be implemented in future revisions!

Brude27

Master of Cramming
Jun 21, 2018
Just realized i didnt answer you in full lol... dual 120mms would be hard, i think the smallest 120mm aio measures 150ish mm in length? so 2x150= 300mm, so no that wont fit.

No worries! You inadvertently answered me when you answered another question about the case length. I put it together with that, haha! Thanks for clarifying, though!

Reactions: smalltownboi

SFF Watercooled

Master of Cramming
Sep 26, 2020
@Lytnin can you make a poll for GPU thickness?
Options are:
2 slot (61mm CPU cooler height)
2.5 slot (51mm CPU cooler height)
3 slot (41mm CPU cooler height)
Or remove the "spine" for more compatibility with CPU coolers and GPUs?

I understand that in this stage it will be quite expensive to change anything, so maybe implement community suggestions in future revisions?

Reactions: thelaughingman

Lytnin

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Original poster
May 2, 2020
@Lytnin can you make a poll for GPU thickness?
Options are:
2 slot (61mm CPU cooler height)
2.5 slot (51mm CPU cooler height)
3 slot (41mm CPU cooler height)
Or remove the "spine" for more compatibility with CPU coolers and GPUs?

I understand that in this stage it will be quite expensive to change anything, so maybe implement community suggestions in future revisions?
With a sheet metal process removing the spine is difficult, as it compromises the structural strength... I will do a poll soon, just need to make sure how much it'll cost to actually do these changes

Reactions: thelaughingman

SFF Watercooled

Master of Cramming
Sep 26, 2020
With a sheet metal process removing the spine is difficult, as it compromises the structural strength... I will do a poll soon, just need to make sure how much it'll cost to actually do these changes
Yeah, I was thinking of using ~3mm "sticks" for the mounting

Should be at least 2.5 slots GPU thickness because Big Navi is coming to the market very soon
Also, there are a ton of GPUs that are between 2 and 2.5 slots these days...

Last edited:

Lytnin

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Original poster
May 2, 2020
I'm a bit lost here ... how will exaclty "flipped orientation" decrease the height of this case?
The IO shield hangs 2.44mm below the motherboard... So if the case internals are not flipped, you need to leave a small gap underneath the motherboard...
If it's flipped on the other hand, u can the extra gap be a part of the rad chamber for example... Hence you reduce the height of the case.

SFF Watercooled

Master of Cramming
Sep 26, 2020
The IO shield hangs 2.44mm below the motherboard... So if the case internals are not flipped, you need to leave a small gap underneath the motherboard...
If it's flipped on the other hand, u can the extra gap be a part of the rad chamber for example... Hence you reduce the height of the case.
Also when it's flipped you don't have to worry about the riser cable blocking the fans, shaving another few mm

nater.2003

Cable Smoosher
Sep 18, 2020
Nitpicks are:
  • Not flipped orientation (Doesn't matter a lot, but increases airflow and decreases height)
  • Only 2 slot GPU thickness (2.5 slots at least)
  • No movable mounting (Well it's not very necessary but it'll be nice)
  • Not spineless (I think the Winter One is a very good example of a spineless case)
  • Probably length can be decreased by ~1-2mm (Not a big difference, but will make the case a tad bit smaller)
I think that some of these should be implemented in future revisions!

This is called the Formd T1.