Production Nouvolo Steck - SFF 8.7-11.2L ITX PC Case, supports liquid cooling

macbosco

Airflow Optimizer
Original poster
Mar 20, 2018
www.nouvolo.com
I am now investigating whether the latest US tariff hike on China exports will affect this. I really hope that it will not be taxed an extra 25%...

If any of you are familiar with HS code and whether this kind of product is affected, please let me know.

chyll2

Master of Cramming
Jun 27, 2018
I am outside from US by any chance can these be distributed from China to other country to avoid those tariffs. It seems that this will be affected since steel and aluminum goods can be included.

macbosco

Airflow Optimizer
Original poster
Mar 20, 2018
www.nouvolo.com
I am outside from US by any chance can these be distributed from China to other country to avoid those tariffs. It seems that this will be affected since steel and aluminum goods can be included.

Information is still quite confusing at the moment. There is a chance that it only includes raw materials (metal sheets/rods etc), but not products made from steel/aluminum. Lets keep our fingers crossed ;)

All countries charge tariffs, I try to include within the price, which will not be of concern to you guys. But the higher the tariffs the more it cuts into my costs... and I certainly don't make 25% margin, if that's what the tariffs is going to be...US charging against China in the latest round of trade war...

macbosco

Airflow Optimizer
Original poster
Mar 20, 2018
www.nouvolo.com
any updates for us?

Hey, wuzup? First 20 units are made !!!;) They are at the painters. Still some refinements needed for the power switch, may take a couple weeks before I will post up to see how to "distribute" those 20 units :D. I am leaving 3-5 bare metal, as I had feedback that someone may want to do color themselves.

AlexTzone

I design minimalistic – but not boring – PC stuff
THOR ZONE
Silver Supporter
Sep 23, 2017
thor-zone.com
Information is still quite confusing at the moment. There is a chance that it only includes raw materials (metal sheets/rods etc), but not products made from steel/aluminum. Lets keep our fingers crossed ;)

All countries charge tariffs, I try to include within the price, which will not be of concern to you guys. But the higher the tariffs the more it cuts into my costs... and I certainly don't make 25% margin, if that's what the tariffs is going to be...US charging against China in the latest round of trade war...

I have not read the trade documents in greater detail but this highly likely only affects raw materials.

That is, importing aluminium and steel to US has just become more expensive; increasing the price of aluminium/steel goods manufactured in/exported from the US, but at the same time protecting domestic producers of raw aluminium/steel from foreign competition.

Slapping 10% and 25% on products containing some degree of aluminium is not justifiable. It would make sense to add those tariffs to % of a products weight attributed by pure aluminium / steel. But I don’t think this is very realistic, think of products that contain very small % of aluminium (making the tariff ~0$); consumers would not pay anything, but at a large scale a lot of tariff money would be lost as long as the tariff for each consumer isn’t exactly 0$.

In short I think it’s unlikely it will affect the consumers price when you sell your case.

Best,
Alex

macbosco

Airflow Optimizer
Original poster
Mar 20, 2018
www.nouvolo.com

In short I think it’s unlikely it will affect the consumers price when you sell your case.

Best,
Alex

Let's hope so, if they decide to charge tariff, it would probably be on the commercial invoice amount (normal practice?), which will be on the total amount of the product and not just on the raw material portion. Unless they allow a breakdown of the costs and only charge tariff on the raw material only. Agree that it would not be 'fair' to charge on the final product if raw material (taxable) is only a small portion, but heh, they are not trying to play 'fair' right? ;)

AlexTzone

I design minimalistic – but not boring – PC stuff
THOR ZONE
Silver Supporter
Sep 23, 2017
thor-zone.com
Let's hope so, if they decide to charge tariff, it would probably be on the commercial invoice amount (normal practice?), which will be on the total amount of the product and not just on the raw material portion. Unless they allow a breakdown of the costs and only charge tariff on the raw material only. Agree that it would not be 'fair' to charge on the final product if raw material (taxable) is only a small portion, but heh, they are not trying to play 'fair' right? ;)

They have to be fair in that regard, that is why they say “tariffs will be placed on washing machines and solar panels” when they want to encompass a whole product category. Just saying aluminium and steel would be only on raw materials :)

Dreamwrx

Caliper Novice
Jul 12, 2018
Hey, wuzup? First 20 units are made !!!;) They are at the painters. Still some refinements needed for the power switch, may take a couple weeks before I will post up to see how to "distribute" those 20 units :D. I am leaving 3-5 bare metal, as I had feedback that someone may want to do color themselves.

Thanks for the update. I wouldn't mind getting on the list for 1 of the bare metal ones. I might have some ideas for a one off. LMK where to send money... jk... but not jk?!?

SirJack

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Feb 22, 2018
Am I correct to assume the bare metal cases will not be anodized? Hmmmm thinking of a space grey...

macbosco

Airflow Optimizer
Original poster
Mar 20, 2018
www.nouvolo.com
Am I correct to assume the bare metal cases will not be anodized? Hmmmm thinking of a space grey...
I will do black, white and pink for this round. Bare metal ones are just 'totally' bare, non-treated at all.
So probably (not confirmed)
black - 7
white - 4
pink - 4
bare - 5
TOTAL: 20 pcs for first test batch, using final bulk production tooling

chyll2

Master of Cramming
Jun 27, 2018
Good luck on the people that will get the case. Hope I qualify.

It looks like the interest is on the bare metal one. If I had to choose, I will get one as well since it makes customs paintjob easier to work on.

macbosco

Airflow Optimizer
Original poster
Mar 20, 2018
www.nouvolo.com
Update 22 Aug 2018

- First 20 units made from bulk production tooling (extra x1 in bare metal for my own personal use right now!)
- At the painters, 3 colours (7x black, 4x white, 4x pink), 5x bare metal to spare
- More photos will be taken once painting is completed

To do:
- Glass panels sampling, holes adjustment needed - issue: minor
- Production of cables (low profile right angled ~13mm height only!) underway - issue: none
- Production of custom power switch PCB underway - issue: none
- Packaging and labels - meet supplier next week
- Off to some gaming with this rig now! ;)

Last edited:

Dreamwrx

Caliper Novice
Jul 12, 2018
I think some hydrographics will make it interesting. If I get on the list.. I might do some leather and wood mods to mine though.

Reactions: macbosco

Dreamwrx

Caliper Novice
Jul 12, 2018
Although I'm also a producer from China, I'm really ashamed of your plagiarism....Optimization is not what you should do.Please be patient and explore new structures instead of being humiliated abroad.

Hey folks, remember that SFF Forum is a place of encouragement, and not just outright shooting down ideas for being derived from other designs. Yeah, the design may have similarities to existing products, but that's up to the end market to decide with their wallets, not for folks to attack people with in the planning stage. Encouragement is much more useful to designers than discouragement. Remember, everyone behind each avatar is another person, and they want to be treated like you do - with support and help.

Suggest changes, offer advice, don't just outright shoot down ideas. The SFF world would be nowhere without a supportive community.

That would be for the market to decide