Stalled Ultra small cnc-milled itx case

Smitty Werben

Cable Smoosher
Original poster
May 16, 2018
Hey guys, I have started working on a mini itx case for myself about two weeks ago. While working on it I decided to try and make an actual product out of it.

Specifications:

Dimensions:

I am planning 3 versions and for each 2 heights (Mini ITX 65 mm and Thin Mini ITX 50 mm), so 6 sizes in total.
All the cases will be smaller than most of the current Gen. consoles.

iGPU / APU (size 1): 191 mm (W) x 191 mm (L)
Low profile GPU (size 2): 191 mm (W) x ~270 mm (L)
Normal ITX-sized GPU (size 3): ~240 mm (W) x ~340 mm (L)​

Storage:
1 or 2 x 2.5" Drives
CPU-Cooler max. height: 42 mm (standard mini itx) or 27 mm (thin mini itx)
PSU: DC-DC or just an external power brick

The case will be cnc-milled out of an aluminum block.

Low profile GPU version [50 mm (H) x 191 mm (W) x ~270 mm (L)]

Hope you guys like the Playstation 1 inspired design. I would love to get some constructive criticism, ideas and feedback.

Ophiuchus

Cable Smoosher
Sep 18, 2018
Hey guys, I have started working on a mini itx case for myself about two weeks ago. While working on it I decided to try and make an actual product out of it.

Specifications:

Dimensions:

I am planning 3 versions and for each 2 heights (Mini ITX 65 mm and Thin Mini ITX 50 mm), so 6 sizes in total.

Storage:
1 or 2 x 2.5" Drives

Hope you guys like the Playstation 1 inspired design. I would love to get some constructive criticism, ideas and feedback.
Love the way it looks, will say though that I'm having a hard time picturing the parts in there. The renders shown are just for the igpu version no?

Smitty Werben

Cable Smoosher
Original poster
May 16, 2018
Love the way it looks, will say though that I'm having a hard time picturing the parts in there. The renders shown are just for the igpu version no?

I'll upload a few renders of the internal layout later on, I am currently working on the versions with dGPUs.

PlayStation 2?

Looks like the PS1 to me :D

Last edited:
Reactions: Sashby

Windfall

Shrink Ray Wielder
SFFn Staff
Nov 14, 2017

Specifications:

Dimensions:

Storage:
1 or 2 x 2.5" Drives

The pictures aren't working, but it sounds interesting.

I'll follow it, maybe the pictures will work later.

Reactions: Smitty Werben

Smitty Werben

Cable Smoosher
Original poster
May 16, 2018
design looks awesome and the original playstation was one of my favs. will this fit the HDPlex 400 brick that is coming out soon?
Yes, the biggest version (65 mm x 240 mm x 340 mm) will have mounting holes for all HDPlex bricks. The thinner version will also support those bricks but most likely only in combination with KMPKTs Dynamo 360.

JDK

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Sep 25, 2018
Really cool! PS1 was the first thing that popped into my head when I saw the renders. :D

Are you considering dust filters, with those ventilation holes?

zzmadd

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Nov 18, 2017
It's a nice case! Congrats.
Make the height specifically for a bunch of CPU coolers so there are a few options to build.
I really like the minimalist design and the side grill.
Do you have a price point for this?

Smitty Werben

Cable Smoosher
Original poster
May 16, 2018
It's a nice case! Congrats.
I really like the minimalist design and the side grill.
Thanks

Do you have a price point for this?
Not yet, but I'll try to make it as cheap as possible with the help of :D

May I ask in what price range they asked you for it?
I've ordered it at a lokal cnc-shop here in Vienna, they asked 250€ (~285$) for a single prototype with the material cost included. I'll contact some chinese manufacturers after I've finished work on the bigger versions of this case, they should do it much cheaper

Reactions: BaK

BaK

King of Cable Management
Bronze Supporter
May 17, 2016
I've ordered it at a lokal cnc-shop here in Vienna, they asked 250€ (~285$) for a single prototype with the material cost included. I'll contact some chinese manufacturers after I've finished work on the bigger versions of this case, they should do it much cheaper
Not cheap but correct I guess. Thanx for the info!

JDK

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Sep 25, 2018
Thanks

Not yet, but I'll try to make it as cheap as possible with the help of :D

Holy moly, I am from Graz! Nice to see some fellow Austrian guys here. :)

tmackerm

Chassis Packer
Feb 11, 2018
This looks awesome, it is really hard to find high quality APU size cases.

I've been wanting to do something similar, but I have no skills in design software. Here are some things I have considered:
- Cooling may be an issue with a solid top, so adding some kind of ventilation on top could be beneficial
- Have you considered slightly increasing the dimensions of the iGPU/APU version to accommodate an internal HDPLEX/Meanwell PSU
- Increasing the height slightly to accommodate taller air coolers (i.e. Noctua L12S or Wraith Spire) would provide additional flexibility

I'll be keeping an eye on this, as I'd love to have a CNC machined APU case

Smitty Werben

Cable Smoosher
Original poster
May 16, 2018
- Cooling may be an issue with a solid top, so adding some kind of ventilation on top could be beneficial

The Mainboard is mounted upside down, so the air is taken in through the bottom and exhausted through the side vents.

- Have you considered slightly increasing the dimensions of the iGPU/APU version to accommodate an internal HDPLEX/Meanwell PSU

No, but the Low Profile GPU version which is 79mm more in length will have mounting holes for the HDPLEX 160W and 80W. I could add support for Mean Well PSUs just let me know which models.

- Increasing the height slightly to accommodate taller air coolers (i.e. Noctua L12S or Wraith Spire) would provide additional flexibility

The problem with increasing the height to say 90 mm is that it essentially doubles the material costs which already are substantial.

Glad you like it and sorry for the late answer