Prototype Velka 1: The smallest APU case

VELKASE Michael

King of Cable Management
Original poster
VELKASE
Gold Supporter
Oct 7, 2018
The purpose of this case is to be the smallest case that can fit a standard Mini ITX motherboard, 65 W TDP CPU cooler such as the Noctua NH-L9a/i, and DC-DC power supply such as the Pico PSU.

Top priorities:
  • Size
  • Appearance
The case will look best when set flat as shown in the first picture by hiding the ventilation opening and non-countersunk screws.

Such a case will be able to house systems to be used for office applications, entry level gaming, entry level CAD, etc.

This case will only be 1.6 L in volume. To put the size into perspective, the 2018 Mac Mini is 1.4 L (13% smaller).

Dimensions: 176 x 173 x 54 mm
External volume: 1.6 L
Material: 1.5 mm anodized aluminum
Weight: 0.36 kg (0.8 lb)

CPU cooler clearance: 37 mm
Storage: M.2 only
PSU: direct plug in DC-DC (160 W max)

Target price point: 50 USD

What features do you think should be implemented?

Last edited:

VELKASE Michael

King of Cable Management
Original poster
VELKASE
Gold Supporter
Oct 7, 2018
What do you think would be more interesting: a 1.6 L case that uses an external power adapter and only has M.2 for storage, or a 2.4 L case (50% larger) that supports Flex ATX power supplies and 2.5" storage?

Tossy

Average Stuffer
May 3, 2018
I think for a bit office and light gaming one would'nt need more than a M.2 drive. Especially with the continuesly falling SSD prices.
Flex ATX would make it easier for people who don't want to tinker as much as when using a picoPSU. But in my idea this is a minor point.
Conclusion: I would go for a smaller case. With a different use scenario this might differ.

VELKASE Michael

King of Cable Management
Original poster
VELKASE
Gold Supporter
Oct 7, 2018
One of my concerns is the lack of motherboards with 4 pin EPS connectors. Pico PSUs only have a 4 pin for the CPU. The HDPLEX 160 has 4+4 pin but its availability is not dependable. Has anyone here used 4 pin to 8 pin EPS adapters?

Tossy

Average Stuffer
May 3, 2018
If I understood The Hack right a 4 to 8 pin adapter would'nt improve anything and therefore isn't necessary. Most mainboards should work with only 4 pins being used. My gigabyte mini-itx am4 board in any case does.

xredlinexx1

Average Stuffer
Mar 18, 2019
I'm guesing this concept is dead? I was just looking around for this exact type of case...basically one that is small as possible for a mini-itx mobo and noctua l9i, that can be mounted behind a monitor. I was hoping to go the mini-stx route, but the current asrock mobo cant overlock the cpu, and is lacking some features mini-itx mobos typically have.

Windfall

Shrink Ray Wielder
SFFn Staff
Nov 14, 2017
I'm guesing this concept is dead? I was just looking around for this exact type of case...basically one that is small as possible for a mini-itx mobo and noctua l9i, that can be mounted behind a monitor. I was hoping to go the mini-stx route, but the current asrock mobo cant overlock the cpu, and is lacking some features mini-itx mobos typically have.

Check out the mini box m350.