Motherboard Thin ITX Discussion Thread

lemmo

Trash Compacter
Feb 17, 2017
since HDPlex bit the dust on 19V, where are the OEMs using these boards of All in Ones in China getting their power supplies from
I was about to ask the exact same question...

I don't understand why the industry can't collaborate and revise this 19V 'standard'. It's a mess: some boards have 19V, some 12V, some wide-voltage, some with no on-board power connector at all...

Reactions: Arboreal

lemmo

Trash Compacter
Feb 17, 2017
Quick question on max power for Thin-ITX:

Many boards say max 65W TDP processors, but processors now don't have TDP but rather Base and Turbo power. So can Thin ITX handle, say, i5 12400 at 65W Base and 117W Turbo? Or do you have to use the 35W low power variants?

lemmo

Trash Compacter
Feb 17, 2017
That's good to know, thank you. Several other board manufacturers just say max 65W, leaving some ambiguity whether this means base power. If it is indeed the max then wont it significantly limit the processor performance?

REVOCCASES

Shrink Ray Wielder
REVOCCASES
Silver Supporter
Apr 2, 2020
www.revoccases.com
Manufacturers are setting this limitation because the VRMs on their boards can't handle more than 65W long term. Depending on the specific board you have in mind, it might allow for a short boost over 65W for a few seconds and then fall back. Performance wise this means you will see worse results compared to something like a Z690i board / without any power limits... but on the other hand, the 12400 already performs quite well at 65W and this wattage would also be easier to cool in an Thin ITX build...

lemmo

Trash Compacter
Feb 17, 2017
Interesting, thanks. Now that the Raptor Lake T variants are available (although not widely) I suppose that's an option, e.g. 13500T is 35W base up to 92W Turbo. But you'll get the performance hit as the clock speeds are lower.

Yippy

Minimal Tinkerer
New User
Nov 26, 2022
Interesting, thanks. Now that the Raptor Lake T variants are available (although not widely) I suppose that's an option, e.g. 13500T is 35W base up to 92W Turbo. But you'll get the performance hit as the clock speeds are lower.
Why find a T varient when you can just lock the ppt to whatever you want on any non T?

lemmo

Trash Compacter
Feb 17, 2017
Why find a T variant when you can just lock the ppt to whatever you want on any non T?

I've bought an Asus H610T and not much info on the Asus website, I don't know what the BIOS power management options are...

....unless you're saying you can do this in Windows?

Yippy

Minimal Tinkerer
New User
Nov 26, 2022
I've bought an Asus H610T and not much info on the Asus website, I don't know what the BIOS power management options are...

....unless you're saying you can do this in Windows?
If there's no option in the bios, Throttlestop has an option to change the CPU power limit and for Linux there is Thermald.

I've been looking at getting a thin itx mobo, so I'm curious, how good is your bios?

DASBOOT

Airflow Optimizer
Dec 31, 2017
The bios in the 610 I believe is Old School arrow controlled, Asus made one Thin board with full GUI mouse control UEFI but I can't remember the model now, but I have built from G87 to 310, 410, 510, and 610 Asus boards. Don't remember if the PPT was present in Tweaker section for the 610. Here is a shot of 410 bios which is similar and has The AI Tweaker Section after Main:
This is from an H410T manual, Note the Processor in the pic.
No info breakdown of the Tweaker section in the manual. As a matter of fact with arrow controlled bios screen. Asus has never written an instruction manual on the Tweaker section,
only full GUI Mouse controlled bios's have manuals that include AI Tweaker instructions or guides, and even that is lacking.

Reactions: rfarmer and Yippy

DASBOOT

Airflow Optimizer
Dec 31, 2017
I told you it was a long time ago, 3rd gen, my first Thin ITX vs 12 gen, maybe my last Thin ITX that I did not even build for myself...
Although Asrock has full GUI on both Intel and Amd.... and Maybe Gigabyte which I have never built with.

lemmo

Trash Compacter
Feb 17, 2017
Thanks, so seems clear to me that I'll need a T variant for a passive HDPlex build for the H610T, even though Asus says the board supports all the 65W base power processors...