Motherboard Thin ITX Discussion Thread

x3ir

Minimal Tinkerer
New User
Mar 28, 2023
Trying to build a thin itx laptop, would the Z22 cool a Xeon E3-1265L V3? building on a H81-D3S from Elsa (CHINA). Waiting to arrive to see what the bios let me do with it

lemmo

Trash Compacter
Feb 17, 2017
I've been looking at getting a thin itx mobo, so I'm curious, how good is your bios?

Haven't received the H610T yet, and only just buying the other components now.

My Asus Q87T has a Performance and Power Saving Utility with some options. It appears to allow under-clocking but not more finescale changes to L1 / L2.. I'll check the BIOS...

The Asus EZ Bios utility appears to support overclocking, and therefore presumably also underclocking. But does not specifically allow adjustment of Base or Turbo power.

Reactions: Yippy

Max Harrison

Chassis Packer
MRH Systems
Mar 27, 2020
VIEWNOTE and J&W have released some reasonable priced LGA1700 Thin ITX / PIO boards. I owned some of their previous boards and I think their quality/durability is also pretty good.

All View attachment 1864

View attachment 1865
Can't figure out if these are shipped with a power brick or not, would be insane deal if so

DASBOOT

Airflow Optimizer
Dec 31, 2017
Taobao links are blocked in the US and these have a proprietary 4-pin 10mm DIN brick connection and a 6-pin ATX 12v connection point on the board not simultaneous I believe. These boards must be power-hungry if they have a full PCIe slot. NO DisplayPort. I doubt these come with bricks.

milesvw

Average Stuffer
Dec 20, 2022
VIEWNOTE and J&W have released some reasonable priced LGA1700 Thin ITX / PIO boards. I owned some of their previous boards and I think their quality/durability is also pretty good.

View attachment 1864

View attachment 1865

Anyone have this H610i-P board? I am curious if it is PCIe 4.0 because they say 170w GPU support and the 4060 or 6650XT is just about that, but are x8 cards. (Hopefully also a 7600XT or 7700 non XT in the future too)

Also wondering if it supports x8x4x4 bifurcation so I could use one of those half height cards that puts a couple M.2 under a GPU, or one of the GPUs with an M.2 Slot XD.

Lastly, what is the HDMI in for? Pass through to the LVDS? Why haven't they moved on to eDP yet in 2024?

I just got one of these motherboards into the Warehouse on SuperBuy for $80. It is 701 grams so we'll see what I pay for shipping to USA after I have the battery removed. Maybe $17-20? Plan is to use a 12100F or 12100T, maybe 12400/12500 later.

DASBOOT

Airflow Optimizer
Dec 31, 2017
I normally take these Taobao links and put them in my ParcelUp account as you can see everything in English and also a better representation of the price.
This first link shows $103.62 for the Jiewei JW H610I-P in US dollars before shipping to Hong Kong whse and then finally the US, there would be two shipping charges, on what I have purchase from Taobao before through this buyer, unless the $103.62 includes shipping from mainland to Hong Kong. I am stumped as to what a +12v OUT connection is (the 6 pin molex), is this a dual voltage 12v/19v DC in for either the ridiculous 4pin DIN on the back IO and the 6 pin molex one or the other, but you would be able to use a GAn internal 12v if they were both inputs with one being mislabeled. Unless the 12v out is supplied 12v for a video card coming from the brick as an input?????

REVOCCASES

Shrink Ray Wielder
REVOCCASES
Silver Supporter
Apr 2, 2020
www.revoccases.com
Reactions: rfarmer

milesvw

Average Stuffer
Dec 20, 2022
I normally take these Taobao links and put them in my ParcelUp account as you can see everything in English and also a better representation of the price.
This first link shows $103.62 for the Jiewei JW H610I-P in US dollars before shipping to Hong Kong whse and then finally the US, there would be two shipping charges, on what I have purchase from Taobao before through this buyer, unless the $103.62 includes shipping from mainland to Hong Kong.

I used this link, it was $80 after the local China shipping, then I paid $0.30 to have the CMOS battery removed. Shipping is so far $23, the shipping company (EUB is the one I chose) hasn't verified that yet.

I was hoping this was a wide input voltage port as well. Oddly enough there is no PDF of this model. https://www.jwipc.com/products/power-graphics-h610i-p/
However their other (ThinITX) H610i model does support 12v-19v https://www.jwipc.com/products/core-motherboard-h610i/

I was hoping to use a Mean Well EPP 300 or 400, but the "18v" models are sold out or they don't make one. So the options are turning up the voltage on the 15v, or down the voltage on the 24v. The data sheet claims you can adjust the 24v it to 22.8v, or the 15v up to 15.8v? Not very generous IMHO. MEAN WELL EPP-400-15

The other option may be shucking a laptop PSU such as the Dell 230w GaN. (I am also thinking of using dual power, a smaller 150w 19v, and another 150w 12v, such as XboxOne brick. I saw a test of the 4060 Low Profile and with a 13900KS running 5.4Ghz it drew 300w at the wall under load, so I have hope my 12100F will be OK on a 250-300w. Not to mention the CPU bottleneck may help the GPU draw less power.

Edit: the fact it is 190mm with the CPU farther away from the IO may mean a cooler like the Jiushark JF13K will fit XD Wondering if I can use a blower or sneak some 15mm fans /under/ the JF13K. Although with the current processor the idea is a backpack VR rig with a battery pack, so keeping it lighter would be smart.

Last edited:

DASBOOT

Airflow Optimizer
Dec 31, 2017
Made in China is Made in China. They may have your missing model of Meanwell on Ali which is really Mingwei. If you are
looking for something above 250 watts there are only a few options at 19 volts. There is a 12-volt Gan on Ali which if you could step-
up would be a more stable option. Then there are always the brick options at 19 volt of which IMO SLimQ's Gan is
the most powerful option with the small size and almost no ridiculous heat give-off like a std brick.

b_force

Average Stuffer
May 28, 2019
Made in China is Made in China.
Well there is a lot more nuance to this.

I use Meanwell on a professional level.
With companies like Meanwell etc, you know for sure they went through the trouble to pass all kinds of EMI and safety regulations.
They are way to big of a company to be able to fly under the radar, but also put their credibility at risk.
Because Meanwell PSU's are being used in A LOT of products and companies.

Unless you really can't get anything else in your region, but for the small difference in price, I wouldn't recommend any unknown Chinese brands.

The very vast majority I have tested don't even pass basic safety regulations (clearance and creepage), EMI is even worse.
I also had way to many just quite literally dying out of the blue, or even "exploding".
Running the risk of frying the rest of the electronics as well.

I personally have only bad experience with unknown Ali PSU's and I have tested a whole lot PSU's in my life.

If you're in Europe, either just buy at TME or Elpro.org, I think Mouser is also possible for private consumers these days?
In the US you can use Mouser anyway as far as I know.

Btw, a problem a lot of these PSU's have is that they go into some "green" more efficient mode at low loads.
This will not only create a lot of noise, but this can also create a lot of other issues.

19V is not very common unfortunately, and Meanwell still seems to be a bit behind with stock (we also have issues with this at my job).

At TME there are still a few in stock;

This is a 18V version which you can turn up to 18.9V.

b_force

Average Stuffer
May 28, 2019
Btw, does anyone know the voltage input tolerance for these slim ITX boards?

It doesn't seem to be stated at all in many mainboard datasheets/manuals.

DASBOOT

Airflow Optimizer
Dec 31, 2017
Some boards are dual voltage and will run on 12 volts and 19 volts. If the Thin ITX board states it is a 12-volts-only input at DIN and Molex then no more than 12 volts. The 2 Meanwell P.S.'s you provided links for are too wide for my current build situation, they are both 3" wide and I need a PS that is 2" wide which should be "more the easily designed" and built using GAn rather than std Silicon. Unfortunately, it is a hidden market, with no demand, as the boards are readily available, but the power supplies must be custom-designed in-house for these boards which are primarily for AIO machines. This is the case I am using, of which I will probably have to cut and modify to get an internal Power supply to work, otherwise, it is brick power only. There is only 2" to the side of board. Lzmod Case