Motherboard Thin ITX Discussion Thread

lemmo

Trash Compacter
Feb 17, 2017
And the Q670 version also has USB3.0 headers for a front panel connector. The Asus H610T offers this, but at the cost of only two USB3.0 ports on the back panel... a limitation of the H610 chipset.

DASBOOT

Airflow Optimizer
Dec 31, 2017
And the Q670 version also has USB3.0 headers for a front panel connector. The Asus H610T offers this, but at the cost of only two USB3.0 ports on the back panel... a limitation of the H610 chipset.
Being that it is an industrial board it will probably be upward of 500.00 if available since Industrial distribution does not do small quantities. But other than the missing USB c port 3.2 gen 2 it has almost everything.

lemmo

Trash Compacter
Feb 17, 2017
I'm with you DASBOOT (from the HDPlex thread):

So no more 19V options at 200+ watt? So no plans to do a GAn at 19V?
So the 400 is the only 19V option and has been out of stock for some time?

The Thin-ITX market is being slowly throttled: poor supply of motherboards, no internal fanless AD-DC power options.

More broadly, low-power products are aplenty based on Celeron/Pentium and SoC onboard designs. But Alder Lake is pushing high-power designs requirements again. There doesn't appear to be much in the sensible middle ground: 60-150W passive internal ACDC power supplies.

What are the ACDC options now for the internal 12-24v input on motherboards? We're back to external bricks, and it feels utterly retrograde...

Quango

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Apr 6, 2019
What are the ACDC options now for the internal 12-24v input on motherboards? We're back to external bricks, and it feels utterly retrograde...

At this point, I disagree with you: everything that keeps heat (and coil noise!) outside of the case is welcome to me. A brick outside means less generated heat needs to be blown out again.

lemmo

Trash Compacter
Feb 17, 2017
A brick outside means less generated heat needs to be blown out again.

I agree with you there, although the HDPlex ACDC internal adaptors use the case heatsink to take the heat away. I use the early version of the ACDC adaptor on the H1 case and it works a dream. Also, less clutter under my desk when you don't have a power brick...

lemmo

Trash Compacter
Feb 17, 2017
The industrial boards are continuing to emerge, e.g. DFI ADS 1010/103, ramping up the connectivity, lifecycle... and no doubt price.

Not my market.

Wonder if MSI are going to follow up with an Alder Lake version of their H510TI...? Or Gigabyte...

REVOCCASES

Shrink Ray Wielder
REVOCCASES
Silver Supporter
Apr 2, 2020
www.revoccases.com
VIEWNOTE and J&W have released some reasonable priced LGA1700 Thin ITX / PIO boards. I owned some of their previous boards and I think their quality/durability is also pretty good.

1655451956544.png

1655452019149.png

DASBOOT

Airflow Optimizer
Dec 31, 2017
The industrial boards are continuing to emerge, e.g. DFI ADS 1010/103, ramping up the connectivity, lifecycle... and no doubt price.

Not my market.

Wonder if MSI are going to follow up with an Alder Lake version of their H510TI...? Or Gigabyte...
Note: MSI H510TI-S05 is available on Alibaba as a single item but the internal 4 pin is 12 volt, not 19V although the external DC is 19V and with a 240-watt GaN Brick this would be a very nice board. JW - H610I - P 6 PIN molex is DC power out. I like the Internal 3.2 gen 1 E connector on the MSI.

lemmo

Trash Compacter
Feb 17, 2017
MSI have come out with an Alder Lake Thin-ITX : H610TI

Early days yet, no manual available and only one model, whereas the H510 previous generation had three variants.

No internal DC-in, so wont be able to use with an internal PSU like HD-Plex GaN.

USB 3.2 Gen 2 10Gb/s ports, but internal headers only for USB 2.0.

Any thoughts on the M2 SSD sitting over the top of the chipset heatsink....?

mkn3

Case Bender
New User
Jul 22, 2022
VIEWNOTE and J&W have released some reasonable priced LGA1700 Thin ITX / PIO boards. I owned some of their previous boards and I think their quality/durability is also pretty good.

View attachment 1864
Can I just power these with a laptop charger? What's the dc connector on the motherboard called? I tried searching 5.5 x 2.5 but it doesn't seem to match the plug.

Also, I'm assuming the different color classifications are just extra prebuilt RAM/SSD options?

DASBOOT

Airflow Optimizer
Dec 31, 2017
Can I just power these with a laptop charger? What's the dc connector on the motherboard called? I tried searching 5.5 x 2.5 but it doesn't seem to match the plug.

Also, I'm assuming the different color classifications are just extra prebuilt RAM/SSD options?
Please, note that Direct Taobao links cannot be opened by ATT customers in the US. They are blocked. I would suggest you use Parcel-up to explore your Taobao links as you can see the hidden pictures below the listing.
1. The Colors are different motherboard options (models) be careful to look to see what you really want.
2. The dc in jack is a special 4 pin it is most likely 12 volt as the extra wattage needed for the PCI-E slot for graphics is handled better as a 6-pin internal 12 volt is the secondary option, these are wired in parallel so it is "one or the other" not both, and it would take a large wattage brick or a GaN brick to power this safely if the slot is used.
3. Bios and driver updates for these low-tier Chinese boards are not readily available, and You have no warranty at all. Buying any board out of your own country voids all warranties. YOU BRICK A BIOS UPDATE YOU ARE DONE!
4. You have only one SATA data port and the m.2 NVME is a combo slot.
5. This charger has the pin style but is too small in wattage. 4-pin DIN laptop They do not make a readily available GaN brick with 4-pin male.

Last edited:

lemmo

Trash Compacter
Feb 17, 2017
No reports yet of 'standard' mini-itx AM5 boards, let alone thin itx...

Talk is that mini-itx will need to await B650 and B650E chipsets, which may be early 2023... the issue is apparently dealing with the power management within the smaller real-estate of a mini-itx board.

SKYMTL

Chassis Packer
Jan 23, 2022
www.youtube.com
Happy this thread is here because I'm starting in on a little personal project with a Thin ITX board (ASRock AM4) but having trouble finding a good looking case that can fit a low profile air cooler (30mm to 38mm).

We have a DB1 Max in the office here but its passive system is an absolute mess and frankly I was looking for something a bit smaller.

DASBOOT

Airflow Optimizer
Dec 31, 2017
Happy this thread is here because I'm starting in on a little personal project with a Thin ITX board (ASRock AM4) but having trouble finding a good looking case that can fit a low profile air cooler (30mm to 38mm).

We have a DB1 Max in the office here but its passive system is an absolute mess and frankly I was looking for something a bit smaller.
here are some options: Plexi cheap, SECC cheap, Red, Black, or Silver Aluminum ITX case cheap, Luna Aluminum more expensive,Best option aluminum NFC tiny.

Reactions: Phuncz

lemmo

Trash Compacter
Feb 17, 2017
AsRock H610TM-ITX :

1 x Blazing M.2 2260/2280 slot (PCIe Gen5 x4)
1 x M.2 2280 slot (SATA3)
2 x SATA 3
1 x M.2 Key-E for Wi-Fi

Four options for rear panel I/O including Display Port, serial, USB 3.2 Gen2 Type-A, but all apparently the same model number, but can't see all of them making it to retail channels. Plus that odd internal side HDMI port...

And 19V power, so finding an internal power supply will be same old problem...

Reactions: Arboreal

DASBOOT

Airflow Optimizer
Dec 31, 2017
AsRock H610TM-ITX :

1 x Blazing M.2 2260/2280 slot (PCIe Gen5 x4)
1 x M.2 2280 slot (SATA3)
2 x SATA 3
1 x M.2 Key-E for Wi-Fi

Four options for rear panel I/O including Display Port, serial, USB 3.2 Gen2 Type-A, but all apparently the same model number, but can't see all of them making it to retail channels. Plus that odd internal side HDMI port...

And 19V power, so finding an internal power supply will be same old problem...

GaN brick from **** has little to no heat and is small. I built a machine with a 600 series Asus thin Itx using this brick and is flawless other than being external. The question of the day, since HDplex bit the dust on 19V where are the OEMs using these boards of All in Ones in China getting their power supplies from, as the 4 port 19V has not died off yet? Although a lot of boards just have the DC jack only now, especially the industrial thin boards. Building a dual boot Hackintosh has died off in Thin ITX boards as the internal GPU is not supported above 10th Gen. only external GPU with chipsets above the cutoff.

Last edited by a moderator: