Cooling Thermalright Silver Arrow 130mm Tower Cooler

Revenant

Christopher Moine - Senior Editor SFF.N
Revenant Tech
SFFn Staff
Apr 21, 2017
What board are you pairing it with, and does it look like there would be enough room to add a 80mm or 92mm fan to the front and/or back of the heatsink?

None...for right now. I bought it to use in a future build in an M1 or a Cerberus.

Reactions: CountNoctua

tinyitx

Shrink Ray Wielder
Jan 25, 2018
None...for right now. I bought it to use in a future build in an M1 or a Cerberus.
I am thinking of the same thing. I am collecting components for a build around Q2/Q3 next year.
But I read that Intel's next socket will not be 115x but a new LGA1200, having more pins for the new CPU.
I am worried that the current mounting mechanism will not be compatible. So, for this reason, I am holding out even though I have eyes on the Silver Arrow 130 and am ready to stock one right now for this build.

lawtsai

Trash Compacter
Sep 3, 2019
Has anyone confirmed if this cooler will fit on the new x570-i boards? I purchased the asus rog strix x570-i off amazon and am waiting until the end of the month for it to get here.

Valantar

Shrink Ray Wielder
Jan 20, 2018
Has anyone confirmed if this cooler will fit on the new x570-i boards? I purchased the asus rog strix x570-i off amazon and am waiting until the end of the month for it to get here.
Going by the pictures it will likely conflict with the m.2/audio riser.

lawtsai

Trash Compacter
Sep 3, 2019
Pleasant surprise this AM! The Rog Strix x570-i board arrived sooner than expected. Have not started the build yet but can say that the cooler will fit on the board without issue. It does get fairly close to the side of the mobo where the fan is housed though.

masteraleph

SFF Lingo Aficionado
May 28, 2017
Pleasant surprise this AM! The Rog Strix x570-i board arrived sooner than expected. Have not started the build yet but can say that the cooler will fit on the board without issue. It does get fairly close to the side of the mobo where the fan is housed though.

Any updates on this? Also, once you do build, any Ram clearance issues?

Bourne3D

Chassis Packer
Oct 17, 2018
I'm receiving the Silver Arrow 130 tomorrow.
I'm currently using the U9S w/ 2x 92mm fans in the Ncase m1 to cool a Ryzen 3900x.
I am getting about 94°c peak temps in blender renders with all cores at 4 ghz.

I'll let you guys know if there are any improvements to the temps!

lawtsai

Trash Compacter
Sep 3, 2019
I was able to successfully mount the cpu cooler on a 3700X, Asus ROG Strix X570-I mobo. RAM used was Teamforce Pro dark.
It was a huge pain but I was also able to switch out the stock cpu thermalright fan with a Noctua A12 25 mm. Would recommend removing the noctua antivibration pads and placing the sticky pads on the noctua fan too allow it to glide smoothly between the fins.

Picture 1
Picture 2, with noctua a12
Picture 3, in NCase M1 and EVGA XC Ultra 2080ti

Last edited:

Flipping_A_pebble

Chassis Packer
Aug 30, 2019
I was able to successfully mount the cpu cooler on a 3700X, Asus ROG Strix X570-I mobo. RAM used was Teamforce Pro dark.
It was a huge pain but I was also able to switch out the stock cpu thermalright fan with a Noctua A12 25 mm. Would recommend removing the noctua antivibration pads and placing the sticky pads on the noctua fan too allow it to glide smoothly between the fins.

Picture 1
Picture 2, with noctua a12
Picture 3, in NCase M1 and EVGA XC Ultra 2080ti
Hey looks like it was just a perfect fit on that mobo! How difficult was the installation for that am4 cpu, and did it come with fan brackets that fit the noctua fan?
You think with a lot of fiddling you be able to squeeze a noctua fan in between those fin stacks or is it just not worth the hassle like in your case?

lawtsai

Trash Compacter
Sep 3, 2019
Hey looks like it was just a perfect fit on that mobo! How difficult was the installation for that am4 cpu, and did it come with fan brackets that fit the noctua fan?
You think with a lot of fiddling you be able to squeeze a noctua fan in between those fin stacks or is it just not worth the hassle like in your case?

Ive been trying to finish the build in between helping my wife with a crying newborn so I dont have any benchmarks yet :).
I'd say the difficulty level is bordering annoying but not super difficult. The issue is that the fins on the cooler are sharp and will often catch the fan when you try to seat it. I found that after carefully prying the two fin stacks away and then re-bending them back helps a good amount.

There are two sets of fan brackets. The square generic one meant for other fans ironically doesnt fit the Noctua but the ones meant for the stock fan do fit. I did note that I was only able to put the fan brackets on the top portion of the cooler. Due to the close fit between the cooler and the Nvme block you can't really fit a fan bracket on the inferior aspect of the fan, which doesnt make much of a difference imo.

Bourne3D

Chassis Packer
Oct 17, 2018
The user experience of this cooler was rather lackluster for a small 80$ cooler.
You have to install the thing without the fan, which is a bitch to install in the first place, and even more of a bitch when it's a 120 mm regular fan (I used Noctua).
It did come with clamps to clamp a regular 120 mm (someone asked above).
I had to clip off a few fins for it to fit it in my case.
The cooler is so sharp that it shipped with gloves :´)

Now onto the good stuff...
I was getting about 94°c peak on the U9S but in that build I had an RTX 2070 Super with a triple fan cooler that was heating up the case.
When installing the silver arrow I took the fans off the 2070 Super and put two 120mm Noctuas in the bottom exhausting air from the case.

I am now getting about 79°c on the CPU and the GPU temp is also a good few degrees lower.
I know this is not a direct comparison but I think the Silver Arrow 130 is definitely providing more cooling than the U9S.

Having had both coolers I'd go with the Silver Arrow 130 because of the performance that the 120 mm fan enables.
It's very ugly though and I wouldn't dare using my tempered glass panel now hehe :)

rfarmer

Spatial Philosopher
Jul 7, 2017
The user experience of this cooler was rather lackluster for a small 80$ cooler.
You have to install the thing without the fan, which is a bitch to install in the first place, and even more of a bitch when it's a 120 mm regular fan (I used Noctua).

I was getting about 94°c peak on the U9S but in that build I had an RTX 2070 Super with a triple fan cooler that was heating up the case.
When installing the silver arrow I took the fans off the 2070 Super and put two 120mm Noctuas in the bottom exhausting air from the case.

I am now getting about 79°c on the CPU and the GPU temp is also a good few degrees lower.
I know this is not a direct comparison but I think the Silver Arrow 130 is definitely providing more cooling than the U9S.

Having had both coolers I'd go with the Silver Arrow 130 because of the performance that the 120 mm fan enables.
It's very ugly though and I wouldn't dare using my tempered glass panel now hehe :)
What CPU are you cooling?

lawtsai

Trash Compacter
Sep 3, 2019

Which mobo are you using?
My Asus rog strix x570-i came DOA and its not in stock until late november. Was thinking of giving the gigabyte aorus a try.

Bourne3D

Chassis Packer
Oct 17, 2018
Which mobo are you using?
My Asus rog strix x570-i came DOA and its not in stock until late november. Was thinking of giving the gigabyte aorus a try.

I'm using the Aorus itx board, I've tried it on the 3900x and the 3700x.
It's fine. The idle voltages were too high on the oldest bios it came with but it's fine now after I updated to the latest bios.
My grief with it is that it seems to take pretty long to post and on rare occasions it will reset to default values when it isn't able to post. (I'm Doing no overclocking btw, just setting the 4000 mhz memory I have to it's profile and fixed at 3600 mhz).
It posts slow on both the Aorus boards I have tried btw.
I feel like I've read mixed stuff about all the x570 boards so far and none of them are perfect.... and I'm not sure who's to blame there (AMD or mobo manufacturers). I'm not afraid to recommend the Aorus ITX x570 board tbh, I don't think there are really "better" itx x570 out there.
These boards just aren't as smooth as the Intel 14nm+++++++ boards :[

I'll post pics tomorrow.