Prototype The world most flexible SFF case? LOUQE Ghost S1

Thehack

Spatial Philosopher
Creator
Mar 6, 2016
J-hackcompany.com
We are looking at other PSU solutions but not for this version. The SFX layout is by no means optimal for SFF-cases with its side to top airflow.

Thanks for considering it. If anything you should add some standardized tapped holes on the spline. You can later on make different hardware mounts for requested features.

IE reservoirs, HDD, etc.

phenix

Case Bender
Dec 19, 2017
Any chance of getting a mount for 2x 3.5" HDDs in the GPU cell? Seems that size wise this should fit.

This would make an excellent HTPC/NAS case and I would think others, apart from me, would be interested in such a case, too?!
Together with a TopHat extension this would give 4x 3.5" HDDs with good passive cooling in a SFF. I am not aware of such a case on the market and I've been looking for a while now.

Last edited:

Leo

Chassis Packer
Dec 1, 2017
Any chance of getting a mount for 2x 3.5" HDDs in the GPU cell? Seems that size wise this should fit.

This would make an excellent HTPC/NAS case and I would think others, apart from me, would be interested in such a case, too?!
Together with a TopHat extension this would give 4x 3.5" HDDs with good passive cooling in a SFF. I am not aware of such a case on the market and I've been looking for a while now.

How do you propose to mount them? Using the spine with some kinda L-Brackets? That could be kinda neat, they'd have to design the holes now though since they aren't prioritizing add-ons atm. If they don't go forward with something like that I'm sure the solution below could suit your needs.

Not sure about 2x3.5 but there are pre-existing PCI mounts that can be used for 3.5
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00IB6I43K/?tag=theminutiae-20

So you could do like 3x3.5" with a tophat and prob fit 4x2.5" in the rest of the GPU section and under the PSU.

Reactions: Biowarejak

PseudoShark

Cable Smoosher
Oct 4, 2017
Following your calculations, but deducting 25% from the base price (case + tophat), I end up with a grand total of $513.60, which is admittedly slightly lower than your $600.30, but the real issue here is that you seem to live in a country with the most ridiculously dumb-ass import fees and regulations I've ever heard of. Seriously, WTF? o_O

I'm rather concerned about this computation. Which country is this for? I'm having the case shipped to the US through a friend. Should I worry about the total expanding to this amount?

phenix

Case Bender
Dec 19, 2017
How do you propose to mount them? Using the spine with some kinda L-Brackets? That could be kinda neat, they'd have to design the holes now though since they aren't prioritizing add-ons atm. If they don't go forward with something like that I'm sure the solution below could suit your needs.

Not sure about 2x3.5 but there are pre-existing PCI mounts that can be used for 3.5
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00IB6I43K/?tag=theminutiae-20

So you could do like 3x3.5" with a tophat and prob fit 4x2.5" in the rest of the GPU section and under the PSU.
Yes, I was thinking about something like L-brackets or something a bit more sturdy, like a metal cage attachable to the spine. Something where you could slide the 2 HDDs in from the top xor bottom.

This would of course require some pre drilled, threaded holes.

The PCI mounts don't look very stable, being attached to solely the PCI bracket and not even the lane additionally. But thanks for the link, some better keywords to search for. And of course only 1x 3.5" HDD, I would need 2 for RAID1.

htko89

Trash Compacter
Nov 22, 2017
I mentioned over in the kickstarter update for accessories that if wood would be involved on the top grill, I would most definitely love birch / bamboo over a dark cherry red. Works very well with white as well - http://www.ikea.com/gb/en/images/pr...-black-ernfrid-birch__0483330_pe620847_s4.jpg

That being said, it's more a miscellaneous thing for me, I'm primarily interested in the production of the case itself.

SyncGuy

Efficiency Noob
Nov 2, 2016
Hi, Pachalski and fellow SFF members!

Silent lurker here.. Been keeping an eye for MY ultimate ITX case for 2 years now. LoL! (I'm just a damn patient guy when it comes to anything shopping)

I would just like to share that although there are MANY tempting(very!) custom ITX cases; Dan A4, M1, L7, and even the amazing Sentry, to name a few, I see that this Louqe Ghost S1 is more in line with what I have been waiting and hoping for; upgrading and possibilities.

It has basically hit all my checkbox! Except for one..

Only thing that keeps holding me back is because of the ever changing GPU hardwares, which I understand is simply due to technological advancement, and it's ever-increasing size!

Therefore what holds me back is always wanting to try to cram the best possible GPU within, or without wasting, much space.

Therefore, I would just like to contribute an idea which you might be interested in:
Why not add the capability to purchase and fit in some sort of length extensions for the casing?

Specifically, I'm looking to fit in the MASSIVE MSI GeForce GTX 1080Ti Gaming X Trio, which measures at 325mm, and just slightly wider than a 2 slot card (doesn't even come close to 2.5 slots despite manufacturer's spec), but which sadly, the Louqe Ghost S1 is a few millimetres short!

Since foundationally it has been designed with modularity in mind (top hat), why not also allow the length to increase by adding in some sort of an extension in between the front panel and main case covers or chassis?

Sounds feasible considering that the GPU weight pressure would be at the back, so there wouldn't be any stress placed on the front panel or its "extension", don't you think?

PS: Some might say, why not look at this case or that? But guys, I specifically want to fit ONLY 2 standard SSDs at most. The main SSD would be the NVME M2 slot.

*Edit: Not sure if it's allowed here but over at the other forum, something like the above has been done to the Rajintek Metis Plus!

http://www.overclock.net/t/1539670/raijintek-metis-owners-club/720#post_26377940

Last edited:

Biowarejak

Maker of Awesome | User 1615
Platinum Supporter
Mar 6, 2017
why not also allow the length to increase by adding in some sort of an extension in between the front panel and main case covers or chassis?

Hmm, not sure if that was discussed here or in the eGPU thread... Either way though, I think they're getting past the point of minute adjustments for single use case components.

Reactions: PaChalski

Layman

What's an ITX?
Dec 21, 2017
Hi,

I backed the kickstarter for your project, and I noticed you guys sent out the list of potential add-ons a bit earlier today. I'm interested in an ODD add-on, but I think that it should also have USB ports on the back and possibly the sides (behind the ODD unit). Granted, I'm only a layman, but it seems to me that you can do more with one top hat than just the ODD slot. Is that something you're willing to consider?

Biowarejak

Maker of Awesome | User 1615
Platinum Supporter
Mar 6, 2017
In other words, an adjustment that only brings a benefit to a single scenario of use. Since it's to fit a specific card, other benefits are anecdotal.

rfarmer

Spatial Philosopher
Jul 7, 2017
First it was the EVGA 1080 Ti FTW and they actually made that one fit. It means at present this case can house at least 95% of the video cards on the market (or close to it, just a guess), you have to draw the line somewhere or you will have to push the case out to 20l to fit every possible combination of hardware and people would still be wanting more. This case is pretty amazing as it is, but it is SFF and that means you have to be realistic in your hardware choices.

SyncGuy

Efficiency Noob
Nov 2, 2016
Ah.... I get it. Thanks for the explanation Biowarejak!

As for the further reasoning, I agree on what you've said rfarmer. But that's if it's fixed. What I'm suggesting is basically the option for users, through the use of accessories, to extend the length to of the case.

It's already being done for this case via the addition of a "Top Hat", so why not for the length too: or a variable "front hat"? Maybe something like a +5mm, +10mm and a +15mm extension for the front.

That's what I'm suggesting. :D

Last edited:

PaChalski

Airflow Optimizer
Original poster
LOUQE
Mar 15, 2017
Hi,

I backed the kickstarter for your project, and I noticed you guys sent out the list of potential add-ons a bit earlier today. I'm interested in an ODD add-on, but I think that it should also have USB ports on the back and possibly the sides (behind the ODD unit). Granted, I'm only a layman, but it seems to me that you can do more with one top hat than just the ODD slot. Is that something you're willing to consider?

The ODD and IO "TopHat" is not a full TopHat... We are just talking about ONE gable that will convert your existing TopHat, so if you want both, just go ahead and change both sides.

This has been unclear even when I explained it in my native language on Sweclockers so let me try again.

The TopHats are made from the exact same extrusion dice as the side panels and gables of the case. So, there are 4 separate pieces screwed together in the corners that make up the TopHat walls (any of these 4 pieces is easily swapped for one with other features).

Makes sense?

PaChalski

Airflow Optimizer
Original poster
LOUQE
Mar 15, 2017
Ah.... I get it. Thanks for the explanation Biowarejak!

As for the further reasoning, I agree on what you've said rfarmer. But that's if it's fixed. What I'm suggesting is basically the option for users, through the use of accessories, to extend the length to of the case.

It's already being done for this case via the addition of a "Top Hat", so why not for the length too: or a variable "front hat"? Maybe something like a +5mm, +10mm and a +15mm extension for the front.

That's what I'm suggesting. :D
I love the idea of flexibility and modularity in every dimension. But each dimension adds a full set of new use cases and dependencies to other components. It has been challenging enough to make the expand-ability work one dimension, two dimension we will simply not consider.