Prototype The world most flexible SFF case? LOUQE Ghost S1

HooglyBoogly

Trash Compacter
Apr 19, 2016
Just suggestion, i bought asus z370-i motherboard, its only supports usb 3.1 gen 2 with i/o front panel connector, there is no gen 2 on back panel. So you can leave a hole in the rear panel for future improvements. If can be same size with the next gen top grills i/o hole, some users can plug i/o card to top panel some plug in to rear panel for more clean look. This hole may be useful to those who make the mod.

I’m disappointed that this feature didn’t make the list. As it stands there’s plenty of flexibility inside the Ghost, but there’s no way to extend anything outside of the case. I’m also sort of confused it’s not on the list because of your reaction to it earlier:

This is a brilliant idea! It could also be used for external radiators!!! Will add to the update list

I would really like a way to put in the IO I want for the case, it would increase its value to me and I’m sure others greatly.

Reactions: htko89 and odeniz

PaChalski

Airflow Optimizer
Original poster
LOUQE
Mar 15, 2017
I’m disappointed that this feature didn’t make the list. As it stands there’s plenty of flexibility inside the Ghost, but there’s no way to extend anything outside of the case. I’m also sort of confused it’s not on the list because of your reaction to it earlier:

I would really like a way to put in the IO I want for the case, it would increase its value to me and I’m sure others greatly.

This proved to be a major change in a rather unstable area, more thought and reasearch needs to be conducted before it is implemented. I know, it is a bummer, but we really don’t want to disappoint everyone by delaying the deliveries for this feature, hope you understand. It is still on the long list!

Nasp

Cable-Tie Ninja
Apr 17, 2017
2 Questions: Why the increase in 1mm to all tophats? I don't mind it, just curious.

Also, where can I go to see custom water loops in the Ghost? Has anyone finished their custom loop?

Reactions: htko89

htko89

Trash Compacter
Nov 22, 2017
I'm impressed by the sliding mechanism of the slide panels. This is the first time I got a closeup of it (in your latest update). It could've been a simple flat aluminum but its shaped and thicker - I assume for better sliding feel and structural rigidity. Attention to detail :)

The rear panel I do wish was incorporated, but production first if it proves to be a major problem area. I don't have any experience with industrial design / engineering, but perhaps that removable plate can be bigger and screwed in at it's corners? Would that help with stability?

htko89

Trash Compacter
Nov 22, 2017
Would it also make sense to make 17mm, 27mm and 57mm (instead of 58mm) top hats? This is my OCD kicking in lol. Seems like the L tophat was already designed with excess space (30mm rad + 25mm fan + 2mm space)

Also, and this is just a personal want and not a request (just food for thought): I've been wanting a tophat with a height of 47mm - (30mm rad + 15mm fan + 2mm space). Just wanted to put it out there in case other's have similar ideas.

92MPAU

Cable Smoosher
Dec 12, 2017
Let me first say that it is really great that you guys have created this document for community input. Hopefully it will encourage enough feedback on the changes/features to push this project into production!

Nonetheless, here are my comments regarding the Final Updates document:

1. 3rd PSU position: What advantage does this update create compared to the original mounting position? Does it allow the ability to stack 2-off 2.5" drives underneath the PSU? In that case, why would the original mounting position be necessary?

2. Blade SSD: I had read somewhere that this was to be included? Adding more options for storage mounting is a big plus for me; some can use this space for mounting a drive, or if not, as a cable management/routing area.

3. Riser position: A no-brainer. Good to go!

4. Added zip ties: More tie-down points have been suggested by the community countless times. The more opportunities for cable management, the better.

5. Bottom plate clean up: Assuming this change will be implemented in conjunction with #7 (new SSD tray), this is a great way to streamline the look and manufacturing of the bottom plate.

6. C14: Negligible difference for me. It could make it easier to customise length/sleeve the cable? Not too sure what advantage this will provide for the cost.

7. New SSD tray: Great idea. Does this mean the mount can be attached to the TopHats as well?

8. FTW3 adjustment: Has been a talking point since J2C preview video. Do it.

9. Kensington lock: I, nor anybody I know has ever used one. Is this feature a big enough point of difference for the majority of consumers to include?

10. Rear symmetry: Aesthetic and cost improvement at the same time? Go for it!

11. GPU max height increase: If it provides greater compatibility with more GPUs without negatively affecting other components/compatibility, then I don't see a problem.

12. Gable spline: Not sure what the difference is here from previous. Is this an internal or external update?

13. OI symmetry: Is there a functional improvement with this update, or is it only an aesthetic one? I don't know what this was like before. Regardless, production cost improvements anywhere are welcomed.

14. GPU cover: Again, not sure what the difference is from previous, or what advantage(s) it provides.

15. Rag tag opening: No cost impact, but greater compatibility? I say go for it.

16. Grill hole pattern: Is this to aid cooling efficiency? Are simulation results available to quantify the change? In terms of pure aesthetics, I prefer less holes and thus a thicker border around the top grille.

17. Grill screw down: Not sure what this means exactly, or what advantage it holds.

18. Grill material: There was slight warping in the grill J2C has - this is the only manufactured sample we have really seen, so do we know if this is a widespread issue or merely an isolated one due to shipping circumstances? Would flat-packing the case alleviate this? Would production units likely see the same issues in day-to-day usage? This is only something Louqe can confirm or provide more information on as I am only speculating here.

19. PSU bracket compatibility: Another no-brainer. Go for it.

20. Cable management: Another great idea with no cost impact.

21. Screw harmonization: Hardware/fastener unity is a very difficult thing to achieve. In terms of production and assembly, it would be a very welcomed update. On another note, are Torx head fasteners necessary? What was the main factor for Torx compared to, say, Phillips head.

22. Side filter frame: I've never seen a recessed area for dust filters before, so this is quite cool to see.

23. Side filter pickup: I don't think the dust filters would be removed that often to warrant this. Not completely necessary in my opinion.

24. Slide interface: If this provides improved ergonomics or improved structural integrity, I say do it.

25. Side spline: Not sure what the difference is here from previous.

26. Top plate adjustments: Is this update together with #21 (screw harmonization), or is it only a visual one?

27. TopHat countersinks: Not sure exactly what is meant by this. There should never be a misalignment in the TopHats due to fasteners/otherwise anyway?

28. TopHat heights: Read the response to this on the Kickstarter comments page.

Feel free to discuss!

PaChalski

Airflow Optimizer
Original poster
LOUQE
Mar 15, 2017
2 Questions: Why the increase in 1mm to all tophats? I don't mind it, just curious.

Also, where can I go to see custom water loops in the Ghost? Has anyone finished their custom loop?

TopHat height increase reasons:
S - 15mm fans often come with rubber dampening pads that make the fans taller than 15 mm. A specific case, Noctua NF-A12x15 PWM will not fit with the current design lacking about 0.5mm in height
M - In order to be able to fit fans on often included rubber fittings we need that extra mm
L - In order to fit a rubber seal between the platform and the tallest 31+ 25 AIOs this is needed

Follow our custom loop build here:
https://www.sweclockers.com/forum/trad/1501740-louqe-ghost-s1-custom-loop-mods-by-faggan

PaChalski

Airflow Optimizer
Original poster
LOUQE
Mar 15, 2017
Would it also make sense to make 17mm, 27mm and 57mm (instead of 58mm) top hats? This is my OCD kicking in lol. Seems like the L tophat was already designed with excess space (30mm rad + 25mm fan + 2mm space)

Also, and this is just a personal want and not a request (just food for thought): I've been wanting a tophat with a height of 47mm - (30mm rad + 15mm fan + 2mm space). Just wanted to put it out there in case other's have similar ideas.

The problem with many TopHats is that they drive cost, had we selected only one size, let's say M it would have been much more cost effective. Imagine this scenario: 1000 cases sold, 75% decide to use TopHats, some use two som we end up manufacturing 1000 TopHats, but in 3 different colors and 3 different sizes. Best case scenario they are evenly spread out between the 9 different variations, leaving us with manufacturing 111 of each. not great for cost efficiency and this translates to the end customer.

Adding another size to the mix in three colors would mean we do 83 of each (best case). We have fought long for getting 3 sizes to be accepted by manufacturer, adding another will be impossible at this stage... When and if volumes go up we have XL and ML on our longlist of addons.

Reactions: Biowarejak

DontPeek

Trash Compacter
Oct 17, 2016
This is one of the harder ones to implement and we would not own the entire creation from design to manufacturing. As you know all the projects are just projects at this point and all the details will be set in cooperation with you all. I can give you some initial thoughts from my side though.
  • Likely Intel support only
  • Likely non plated copper heat-pipes for better adjust-ability and plasticity in deformation for those last millimeters of touch-down
  • Relatively long heat-pipes will allow for enough sag to add maneuverability

Have you seen this?
https://smallformfactor.net/forum/t...ler-with-flexible-heat-pipes.2858/#post-57352

PaChalski

Airflow Optimizer
Original poster
LOUQE
Mar 15, 2017
Thank you for all the detailed input, great engagement! This is exactly what we were hoping to see!

1. 3rd PSU position: What advantage does this update create compared to the original mounting position? Does it allow the ability to stack 2-off 2.5" drives underneath the PSU? In that case, why would the original mounting position be necessary?
This position will allow SFX-L PSUs to utilize the space below, SSD of slim fan. Original position is used when AIOs are used.

2. Blade SSD: I had read somewhere that this was to be included? Adding more options for storage mounting is a big plus for me; some can use this space for mounting a drive, or if not, as a cable management/routing area.
Agreed

3. Riser position: A no-brainer. Good to go!
Agreed

4. Added zip ties: More tie-down points have been suggested by the community countless times. The more opportunities for cable management, the better.
This has been mentioned many times by the community and was further reinforced by Webbhallen:s (huge Scandinavian retailer) lead system integrator Johnny Stone after he had worked on the case for a week.

5. Bottom plate clean up: Assuming this change will be implemented in conjunction with #7 (new SSD tray), this is a great way to streamline the look and manufacturing of the bottom plate.
Yes, and we have removed the old mounting holes for the old SSD tray as well.

6. C14: Negligible difference for me. It could make it easier to customise length/sleeve the cable? Not too sure what advantage this will provide for the cost.
This has been driven by a couple of factors. The new power cable with the low profile C13 connector comes with this as standard, it will sit more firmly in place, easier to remove when needed.

7. New SSD tray: Great idea. Does this mean the mount can be attached to the TopHats as well?
Yes, when the TopHats became possible to mount in the bottom (still need to find a better name for them since the change) the 120 mm mountings were added to the bottom, mirroring the ones found in the top platform... so by using these mountings instead we automatically have more flexibility and can place the tray on both platforms and slide it to where we need it to be.

8. FTW3 adjustment: Has been a talking point since J2C preview video. Do it.
We made a huge investment when we bought this GPU and it is the best we have seen, so there was now way we would let it not fit ;) On a serious note it now will fit under the platform without removing the RGP strip, so no modifications needed. Only the 90-degree power adapters.

9. Kensington lock: I, nor anybody I know has ever used one. Is this feature a big enough point of difference for the majority of consumers to include?
We have received significant interest and "pre-orders" from companies that require this due to it's size. DICE HQ is 800 meters away from our office here in Stockholm and they are one of the potential customers. It should not be a negative for people not using it, right?

10. Rear symmetry: Aesthetic and cost improvement at the same time? Go for it!
Win-win!

11. GPU max height increase: If it provides greater compatibility with more GPUs without negatively affecting other components/compatibility, then I don't see a problem.
Great!

12. Gable spline: Not sure what the difference is here from previous. Is this an internal or external update?
This has to do with the fact that the eye will interpret a flat surface next to a rounded surface as concave, collapsing inwards, by adding just a minimal bend to the flat surfaces you avoid this effect by forcing light to bounce of of it in different directions. This let's "the eye" understand it is not concave and it actually looks more straight even though it isn't. You'll find this on many products today.

13. OI symmetry: Is there a functional improvement with this update, or is it only an aesthetic one? I don't know what this was like before. Regardless, production cost improvements anywhere are welcomed.
This is actually nothing we have mentioned before, the way the case was designed before meant that the PCB where the LED and PWR-button sit was asymmetric. The button and LED were of center for no apparent reason. This way the PCB is perfectly symmetric and smaller in size.

14. GPU cover: Again, not sure what the difference is from previous, or what advantage(s) it provides.
The PCB cover plate simply looked out of place, made out of thin folded sheet metal and mounted to the back of the case. the entire exterior of the case holds an insanely high standard, the GPU cover simply didn't match that and brought the total experience down. This way it is a faster install, stronger hold, and barely visible.

15. Rag tag opening: No cost impact, but greater compatibility? I say go for it.
Yes, the leather vs woven fabric question is a sensitive one, especially in vegan country (Scandinavia) so this way it is up to the user what material tag to use and even include in the kit.

16. Grill hole pattern: Is this to aid cooling efficiency? Are simulation results available to quantify the change? In terms of pure aesthetics, I prefer less holes and thus a thicker border around the top grille.
We have produced man different grills with different border thicknesses and we think this is the perfect mid-way. It does not have anything to do with performance actually.

17. Grill screw down: Not sure what this means exactly, or what advantage it holds.
This is a solution to allow users that are traveling with the case to fasten the grill more securely. Also some B2B customers are requesting this due to the otherwise ease of entry. That being said, we have received a lot of criticism on this point (this is actually the only firmly criticized update), that it ruins the pure lines of the design. Fortunately this is a component that is not on the critical time line so it leaves us with some room to find another way.

18. Grill material: There was slight warping in the grill J2C has - this is the only manufactured sample we have really seen, so do we know if this is a widespread issue or merely an isolated one due to shipping circumstances? Would flat-packing the case alleviate this? Would production units likely see the same issues in day-to-day usage? This is only something Louqe can confirm or provide more information on as I am only speculating here.
Yes, the grill could deform, resulting in a nasty fit of a component that is hit by more light than others. This is why spring steel has been chosen. Spring steel can withstand more forces without deforming, it will flex back to it's original state.

19. PSU bracket compatibility: Another no-brainer. Go for it.
Yes!

20. Cable management: Another great idea with no cost impact.
This is not apparent when looking at the case, but out of our many hundreds of builds we had to remove the PSU bracket 90% of the time simply because we forgot to feed the cables through before screwing it on the PSU, Jonas at Sweclockers said he did it every single time he build in it =)

21. Screw harmonization: Hardware/fastener unity is a very difficult thing to achieve. In terms of production and assembly, it would be a very welcomed update. On another note, are Torx head fasteners necessary? What was the main factor for Torx compared to, say, Phillips head.
Torx fasteners are superior in terms of ware (you can't slip) and allow for angled tool (often needed in tight spaces). A LOUQE edition T-10 screw driver will be included in the kit.

22. Side filter frame: I've never seen a recessed area for dust filters before, so this is quite cool to see.
It is all about CPU clearance in our case

23. Side filter pickup: I don't think the dust filters would be removed that often to warrant this. Not completely necessary in my opinion.
Good point!

24. Slide interface: If this provides improved ergonomics or improved structural integrity, I say do it.
The earlier design was holding the sidpanels in 2 dimensions, side to side and front to back with a ball-shaped profile, this proved to be over defined and made it tougher to slide in without adding structural rigidity. This is not something we have discussed or mentioned before simply because it needed to be tested in real life.

25. Side spline: Not sure what the difference is here from previous.
Same as #12 Gable splie, se above

26. Top plate adjustments: Is this update together with #21 (screw harmonization), or is it only a visual one?
This has to do with the fact that the TopHats sat differently depending on the use of this TopPlate or not creating different size panel gaps. This change together with #27 eliminates this problem.

27. TopHat countersinks: Not sure exactly what is meant by this. There should never be a misalignment in the TopHats due to fasteners/otherwise anyway?
Se answer above.

Reactions: 3vilgenius

fleetfeather

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Apr 20, 2017
Correct me if Im wrong, but have we been told anything more about the dust filters?

Also, given that some customers are likely to only want a case without any hats, is there still no way interested backers can purchase two hats to be shipped in April (rather than waiting for future availability of hats)

Reactions: Jonny727272

PaChalski

Airflow Optimizer
Original poster
LOUQE
Mar 15, 2017
Correct me if Im wrong, but have we been told anything more about the dust filters?

Also, given that some customers are likely to only want a case without any hats, is there still no way interested backers can purchase two hats to be shipped in April (rather than waiting for future availability of hats)

Filters have been developed and tested. Mounting works great, mesh needs refinement. We will make these available before delivery and they are about 10 USDs for three magnetic filters, sides and bottom

All backers will be asked about more hats after the Campaign and after final production approval, before mass production.

Chrip

Average Stuffer
Nov 16, 2017
Sorry if Im being annoying with this, but I want to make an informed decision when I buy.

Will the 3.5" HDD fit under the PSU if I removed the bottom of the case, attach a small top hat, and then attach the bottom to the small top hat.

From all accounts a 2.5" HDD will fit in the base Ghost S1, so adding 16mm more should theoretically work to fit a 3.5" hdd, right?

Just need some cofirmation. Ideally I want to put a small top hat on the bottom and top. Bottom for the hdd and top for 2 slim exhaust fans. I want to keep the tophats as small as possible and still accommodate my 3.5" hdd and 2 slim exhausts

Thanks!!

PaChalski

Airflow Optimizer
Original poster
LOUQE
Mar 15, 2017
Sorry if Im being annoying with this, but I want to make an informed decision when I buy.

Will the 3.5" HDD fit under the PSU if I removed the bottom of the case, attach a small top hat, and then attach the bottom to the small top hat.

From all accounts a 2.5" HDD will fit in the base Ghost S1, so adding 16mm more should theoretically work to fit a 3.5" hdd, right?

Just need some cofirmation. Ideally I want to put a small top hat on the bottom and top. Bottom for the hdd and top for 2 slim exhaust fans. I want to keep the tophats as small as possible and still accommodate my 3.5" hdd and 2 slim exhausts

Thanks!!
As far as I know the measurements for a 3.5” hdd are: 25x146x102 so there is no room if a GPU is used in the XS. You could possibly make it fit if the case is modified but this has not been tested. So you’d need an M-TopHat to fit a 3.5”

What are the additional 16mm?

DontPeek

Trash Compacter
Oct 17, 2016
This is great news, we will need to explore that when the passive cooler project kicks off. If the soft heat-pipes perform well then that can be a perfect solution!

Nice! I honestly think a product like that would be amazing for SFF but also for other PC hardware enthusiasts who want an air cooler with all the benefits of an AIO.

Chrip

Average Stuffer
Nov 16, 2017
As far as I know the measurements for a 3.5” hdd are: 25x146x102 so there is no room if a GPU is used in the XS. You could possibly make it fit if the case is modified but this has not been tested. So you’d need an M-TopHat to fit a 3.5”

What are the additional 16mm?

The additional 16mm comes from the Small Tophat. Im thinking about attaching it to the bottom of the case instead. I'm assuming the bottom grill on the case can be removed and attached to the tophat instead, thus increasing space down there by 15.5 or 16.5 mm (based off what you said about increasing all top hat sizes by 1mm)

Please let me know if im getting this all confused.