Prototype The world most flexible SFF case? LOUQE Ghost S1

PaChalski

Airflow Optimizer
Original poster
LOUQE
Mar 15, 2017
Please help us prioritize among the add-ons.

Survey link: https://sv.surveymonkey.com/r/Q8D5KMQ

B14CKB1RD

Average Stuffer
Dec 7, 2017
@PaChalski can you please clarify a bit more about the passive top hat CPU cooler, cos as you know not all CPU sockets are in the same position on the motherboard. Any idea on how to secure it on both AMD and Intel CPU sockets? Also I'm guessing copper plate and heatpipes, aluminum (or copper) fins and everything nickel plated? Thanks.

Reactions: Biowarejak

PaChalski

Airflow Optimizer
Original poster
LOUQE
Mar 15, 2017
@PaChalski can you please clarify a bit more about the passive top hat CPU cooler, cos as you know not all CPU sockets are in the same position on the motherboard. Any idea on how to secure it on both AMD and Intel CPU sockets? Also I'm guessing copper plate and heatpipes, aluminum (or copper) fins and everything nickel plated? Thanks.

This is one of the harder ones to implement and we would not own the entire creation from design to manufacturing. As you know all the projects are just projects at this point and all the details will be set in cooperation with you all. I can give you some initial thoughts from my side though.
  • Likely Intel support only
  • Likely non plated copper heat-pipes for better adjust-ability and plasticity in deformation for those last millimeters of touch-down
  • Relatively long heat-pipes will allow for enough sag to add maneuverability

B14CKB1RD

Average Stuffer
Dec 7, 2017
This is one of the harder ones to implement and we would not own the entire creation from design to manufacturing. As you know all the projects are just projects at this point and all the details will be set in cooperation with you all. I can give you some initial thoughts from my side though.
  • Likely Intel support only
  • Likely non plated copper heat-pipes for better adjust-ability and plasticity in deformation for those last millimeters of touch-down
  • Relatively long heat-pipes will allow for enough sag to add maneuverability

Thanks for the early input. Going only Intel way is understandable cos its just more power hungry than current AMD. Nevertheless that sounds pretty amazing and would like to see it happen! Unfortunately I'll have to pass since I'm rocking AMD now and will do so for foreseeable future. I guess its time to get L12 or something similar. Man can't wait for my Ghost to arrive!

elliot_alderson

Chassis Packer
Nov 30, 2017
Does anyone here know if G.Skill Trident Z RGB DDR4 ram is compatible with the Noctua NH-L12? I know it's not in the compatiblity list but wondering if anyone here has had success? Noctua says there is 43mm clearance and G.Skill says the ram is 44mm..

Thehack

Spatial Philosopher
Creator
Mar 6, 2016
J-hackcompany.com
Does anyone here know if G.Skill Trident Z RGB DDR4 ram is compatible with the Noctua NH-L12? I know it's not in the compatiblity list but wondering if anyone here has had success? Noctua says there is 43mm clearance and G.Skill says the ram is 44mm..

Technically it should fit. 43mm is above the CPU package, which is 8mm from board, total 51mm from board.

44mm ram height, assuming physical height, means that it sits an additional 4mm from board, total 48mm from board.

But hopefully someone has actually tried that combo.

Reactions: B14CKB1RD

elliot_alderson

Chassis Packer
Nov 30, 2017
Technically it should fit. 43mm is above the CPU package, which is 8mm from board, total 51mm from board.

44mm ram height, assuming physical height, means that it sits an additional 4mm from board, total 48mm from board.

But hopefully someone has actually tried that combo.
Thanks for the reply, that's what I was thinking but wasn't 100% sure. I would still like to get confirmation before ordering the ram. The Corsair LPX went out of stock so have been considering the G.Skill

Jonny727272

Airflow Optimizer
Feb 26, 2017
Damn, those addons are incredible. Even if only 2 or 3 make it to sale, that is still so awesome! You all are really realizing the modularity of this case and I can't wait to see some builds in this. Having a wide selection of side panels and top grills will be super fun when it comes to making the case our own.

elliot_alderson

Chassis Packer
Nov 30, 2017
Looks like there is a lot of room at the L top hats front and back. It would be great if the option was offered for selecting L tophat with io port.

I think they should provide options for swappable IO faceplates for compatibility between the different size top hats.

Last edited:
Reactions: PaChalski

B14CKB1RD

Average Stuffer
Dec 7, 2017

To anwser your question here they are, but from Asrock Fatal1ty Ryzen board.
https://img3.picload.org/image/ddrologr/20171224_111142.jpg
https://img3.picload.org/image/ddrolaww/20171224_111014.jpg
https://img3.picload.org/image/ddrolawi/20171224_111004.jpg
https://img3.picload.org/image/ddrolawa/20171224_110336.jpg

Chrip

Average Stuffer
Nov 16, 2017
I would like to use my 5tb 3.5" drive, will it fit in the bottom without a top hat?

If not will it fit if I use the smallest top hat in the bottom?

My plan is to use the small top hat in the bottom now for my ssd and hdd, and then get the top hat with i/o and use 2 slim 120mm fans as exhaust when that is available.

Thanks

PaChalski

Airflow Optimizer
Original poster
LOUQE
Mar 15, 2017
How about connecting the IO to the top grill having ports on top that way IO could be combined with any of the top hats or even with the XS option?
Actually not a half bad idea! We will discuss all possible solutions for the add-one that do get selected in detail. IO TopHat is only the one face panel or gable. So 3 parts remain from the original TopHat - saves money and environment!

PaChalski

Airflow Optimizer
Original poster
LOUQE
Mar 15, 2017
I would like to use my 5tb 3.5" drive, will it fit in the bottom without a top hat?

If not will it fit if I use the smallest top hat in the bottom?

My plan is to use the small top hat in the bottom now for my ssd and hdd, and then get the top hat with i/o and use 2 slim 120mm fans as exhaust when that is available.

Thanks
You’ll need the M-TopHat to fit 1 or 2 3.5” hdds. Will not fit in the XS if you are using a GPU, sorry!

Chrip

Average Stuffer
Nov 16, 2017
You’ll need the M-TopHat to fit 1 or 2 3.5” hdds. Will not fit in the XS if you are using a GPU, sorry!

I was thinking about putting it under the PSU. From what I understand a 2.5" drive can fit under the psu, so if I were to remove the bottom of the case, then fit a small top hat underneath and put the bottom of the case under the top hat, would it open up any space to fit the hdd under the psu?

B14CKB1RD

Average Stuffer
Dec 7, 2017
I was thinking about putting it under the PSU. From what I understand a 2.5" drive can fit under the psu, so if I were to remove the bottom of the case, then fit a small top hat underneath and put the bottom of the case under the top hat, would it open up any space to fit the hdd under the psu?

Looking at the pics probably will, pure logic. Btw good idea!