Prototype The world most flexible SFF case? LOUQE Ghost S1

PaChalski

Airflow Optimizer
Original poster
LOUQE
Mar 15, 2017
Since I'm out of the EU you are basically saying that I might as well wait and buy through your web shop because that will yield me an automatic 25% discount and most likely be cheaper then through kickstarter. You see the problem.

Not really what I’m saying. Most products, if you check the international price cost roughly the same including VAT regardless of what the specific nations VAT is. Looking at Apple, Intel, Nvidia, Samsung, kitchenaid etc, you will see they retail for a very similar price despite different VATs. This is mainly to protect local distribution and not have people order from abroad more than nessesary. This is a known fact for some but few talk about it. We will do the same thing, calls value based pricing, with our products. We will not sell the case through our Webb-shop... only very specific add-ons. Hope that helps.

SeeFiFo

Average Stuffer
May 14, 2017

Following your calculations, but deducting 25% from the base price (case + tophat), I end up with a grand total of $513.60, which is admittedly slightly lower than your $600.30, but the real issue here is that you seem to live in a country with the most ridiculously dumb-ass import fees and regulations I've ever heard of. Seriously, WTF? o_O

BillyBob

Caliper Novice
Dec 12, 2017
Tell
Following your calculations, but deducting 25% from the base price (case + tophat), I end up with a grand total of $513.60, which is admittedly slightly lower than your $600.30, but the real issue here is that you seem to live in a country with the most ridiculously dumb-ass import fees and regulations I've ever heard of. Seriously, WTF? o_O

Tell me about it. But it is what it is. I've not bothered to do the calc's on 25% off because its not going to happen is it?

Its a very very nice but crazy expensive case

SeeFiFo

Average Stuffer
May 14, 2017
Its a very very nice but crazy expensive case

I think it's a very reasonably priced case considering everything involved (low-volume production, high quality, included pci-e riser etc), especially considering the included 25% VAT. I'd personally go so far as calling it cheap, actually.

But yeah, if you live in a country with crazy import fees and regulations, everything you import becomes expensive. Your country/government is obviously seriously opposed to it.

Reactions: Biowarejak

lauheiyeung

Caliper Novice
Nov 25, 2017
I think it's a very reasonably priced case considering everything involved (low-volume production, high quality, included pci-e riser etc), especially considering the included 25% VAT. I'd personally go so far as calling it cheap, actually.

But yeah, if you live in a country with crazy import fees and regulations, everything you import becomes expensive. Your country/government is obviously seriously opposed to it.
I live in something without import fee and VAT, so I will just wait for mass production / retail.

B14CKB1RD

Average Stuffer
Dec 7, 2017

I wouldn't call it cheap considering the size, volume, materials and all the components included. Still what you pay for is more the idea and futureproof development and not just the materials itself and that is perfectly fine. So yeah, its always nice when something is cheaper but considering everything involved it is reasonably priced at least for enthusiasts. And especially for us EU citizens! :p

In other topic, @PaChalski can you please comment on idea to drill/make holes on the backplate in space just above motherboard I/O for even more ventilation? Also how about one/two additional zip tie hole exactly below PSU so one can tie its cabels neatly. I want them secure everything on the blade not all over the place in front or below. Thanks in advance.

jad_tv

Caliper Novice
Dec 27, 2016
Apologies if these have already been addressed, but does the NH-L12 still fit when used with AM4?
Also, have other tests been run for the CPU temps? IIRC the CPU test in Firestrike extreme is quite short and isn't really suitable for testing heatsink performance. Nor is it indicative of performance in real-world usage. This is likely why the thermal and noise results seem so optimistic for an 8700K. I would greatly appreciate if my doubts could be assuaged before the campaign ends, especially with the price of the NH-L12 skyrocketing...

Reactions: B14CKB1RD

PaChalski

Airflow Optimizer
Original poster
LOUQE
Mar 15, 2017
In other topic, @PaChalski can you please comment on idea to drill/make holes on the backplate in space just above motherboard I/O for even more ventilation? Also how about one/two additional zip tie hole exactly below PSU so one can tie its cabels neatly. I want them secure everything on the blade not all over the place in front or below. Thanks in advance.

First question I read as why not make more ventilation holes in the top of the back gable, correct? Adding ventilation holes in the back gable would actually decrease ventilation and airflow due to directional interference and reduced chimney effect according to our simulations (granted it has not been confirmed in reality). The negative impact becomes larger with tophats.

Second question, we have a list of small tweaks here and there that we will have all modeled up today, tomorrow we will be able to present these updates to you, one of which is the addition of fip tie holes.

Reactions: SeeFiFo

PaChalski

Airflow Optimizer
Original poster
LOUQE
Mar 15, 2017
Apologies if these have already been addressed, but does the NH-L12 still fit when used with AM4?
Also, have other tests been run for the CPU temps? IIRC the CPU test in Firestrike extreme is quite short and isn't really suitable for testing heatsink performance. Nor is it indicative of performance in real-world usage. This is likely why the thermal and noise results seem so optimistic for an 8700K. I would greatly appreciate if my doubts could be assuaged before the campaign ends, especially with the price of the NH-L12 skyrocketing...

AMD not tested, by the looks of the socket specs is should fit. We will confirm this in reality asap! does anyone here actually have an AMD board + CPU and could provide the stack height?

During our AIO test we used RealBench with the L12 as a reference cooler: http://louqe.com/img/GhostCPU_AIOTest.pdf

In earlier tests we have used Ultra defensive fan curves to see if we could see a dead silent system even with synthetically loaded CPU and GPU for a long time. Pleas read the method and test details in the different reports and make sure you understand the purpose of each before jumping to the graphs.

http://louqe.com/img/img/ext/ext/GhostS1CPUheatSinkTest.pdf

elliot_alderson

Chassis Packer
Nov 30, 2017
AMD not tested, by the looks of the socket specs is should fit. We will confirm this in reality asap! does anyone here actually have an AMD board + CPU and could provide the stack height?

During our AIO test we used RealBench with the L12 as a reference cooler: http://louqe.com/img/GhostCPU_AIOTest.pdf

In earlier tests we have used Ultra defensive fan curves to see if we could see a dead silent system even with synthetically loaded CPU and GPU for a long time. Pleas read the method and test details in the different reports and make sure you understand the purpose of each before jumping to the graphs.

I'm really struggling to decide between NH-L12 and a Fractal S24...
Is there any audible pump hum or noise from the AIO's that might not be detected in the test?
Considering just getting both and testing myself, but would prefer not to.

Also, would really like to see some SSD mounting options shown in the S-tophats.
I'm hoping to have 3-4 easily accessible SSD's in the case and/or tophat.
Thanks

Last edited:

B14CKB1RD

Average Stuffer
Dec 7, 2017
First question I read as why not make more ventilation holes in the top of the back gable, correct? Adding ventilation holes in the back gable would actually decrease ventilation and airflow due to directional interference and reduced chimney effect according to our simulations (granted it has not been confirmed in reality).

Ah yes thank you, perfectly solid explanation if you follow the chimney effect.

I don't have the Noctua L12 cooler but I can tell you it should fit pretty fine with Asus ROG X370-I or/and B350-I cos the CPU socket height is almost identical to Intel Z370 board, even a bit lower by some half mm, so no worries there.

Reactions: PaChalski

Thehack

Spatial Philosopher
Creator
Mar 6, 2016
J-hackcompany.com
I was thinking, would it be possible to add support for Meanwell PSU? All it would require is 4 tapped holes to add in M3 stand offs.

4 holes on the spline and 4 holes on the bottom plate if there is material available. This way users can add in reservoir support while having internal PSU options.

Reactions: PaChalski

MeTicaL

Case Bender
Nov 30, 2017
Is there any audible pump hum or noise from the AIO's that might not be detected in the test?

Also, would really like to see some SSD mounting options shown in the S-tophats.
Thanks

Same boat as you. Was initially certain I was going for an all air build, but given that finding an L12 is going to cost almost as much as an S24, definitely would consider the S24 if it means lower noise/temp.

Thehack

Spatial Philosopher
Creator
Mar 6, 2016
J-hackcompany.com
Same boat as you. Was initially certain I was going for an all air build, but given that finding an L12 is going to cost almost as much as an S24, definitely would consider the S24 if it means lower noise/temp.
Are NH-L12 going for that much? I wouldn't mind selling mine for that price if they are!

jad_tv

Caliper Novice
Dec 27, 2016

This is better. I don't see any mention of this test on the Kickstarter or the OP. Should definitely be included!

Reactions: B14CKB1RD

B14CKB1RD

Average Stuffer
Dec 7, 2017
This is better. I don't see any mention of this test on the Kickstarter or the OP. Should definitely be included!

Indeed. We need proper test of Ryzen platform. @PaChalski you guys should get your hands on Asus ROG B350 or X370 mITX boards and do some Ryzen 1700 super efficient and 1800X bench so we can compare the results with Intel platform. Noctua L12 of course.

Thehack

Spatial Philosopher
Creator
Mar 6, 2016
J-hackcompany.com
$109 right now is about as cheap as you can find one in the US, you could still find $69 ones a couple weeks ago but apparently those are all gone.

Jeeze. A Big Shuriken with a Noctua fan will be pretty even in performance, though not as much compatibility. Sucks that Noctua increased the height by just 4mm.

PaChalski

Airflow Optimizer
Original poster
LOUQE
Mar 15, 2017

Thanks

The S24 we have is dead silent when the lid is closed you will not be able to hear it. But there might be a larger variation between units with AIOs considering there are more parts that are working together. The L12 will become audible after a longer time of strain with standard fan settings. We have been able to run it inaudible with Prime and very conservative fan settings and not worry about temps, only avoiding throttling.

We will present all the changes and illustrate them clearly this week to seek acceptance, the updated ssd-tray is one of them, it will fit in any TopHat or in the bottom instead of the case fan. Also there is a mounting position behind the PSU that can be used, but we recommend to keep the bottom fan if you are placing it there.

PaChalski

Airflow Optimizer
Original poster
LOUQE
Mar 15, 2017
I was thinking, would it be possible to add support for Meanwell PSU? All it would require is 4 tapped holes to add in M3 stand offs.

4 holes on the spline and 4 holes on the bottom plate if there is material available. This way users can add in reservoir support while having internal PSU options.
We are looking at other PSU solutions but not for this version. The SFX layout is by no means optimal for SFF-cases with its side to top airflow.