Prototype The world most flexible SFF case? LOUQE Ghost S1

Boil

SFF Guru
Nov 11, 2015
@PaChalski

Nice to see the dual AIOs, but the pics do not clearly show the tube routing / where the 'tube end' of the radiators are...?

Also, would really be interested in seeing a 240mm AIO up top (Fractal Design S24) in a L TopHat, and a M TopHat below with a 120mm AIO for the GPU under the PSU (the fan for the AIO would be located in the cutout under the PSU) & a 120mm x 25mm chassis fan under the motherboard area...

Last edited:
Reactions: PaChalski

Necere

Shrink Ray Wielder
NCASE
Feb 22, 2015
Now to some actual updates and good news! Hope this excites you as much as it does me!

1. FTW3 now fits thanks to the minor adjustments made to the back gable and by lowering the riser 1,7mm. More about this in the GPU compatibility list. See images below.

2. Dual 120 AIO works like a dream in one L-TopHat
Test setup:
- NZXT Kraken X31
- EVGA 1070 Hybrid

Not to be rude, but these pics are borderline worthless. Your audience is technical, don't forget that. More substance, less style.

Biowarejak

Maker of Awesome | User 1615
Platinum Supporter
Mar 6, 2017
I disagree, it's showcasing an improved design accommodating a card that it couldn't before. Also gives us a sense of progress regarding further thermal testing. Just my opinion though.

Reactions: Legion and Qrash

Biowarejak

Maker of Awesome | User 1615
Platinum Supporter
Mar 6, 2017
Fair point on card compatibility, but the pics do not do a good job showing the AIO compatibility or tube routing.
True, although that is far more actionable feedback in comparison to your other post. I don't disagree with your sentiment, to be clear, just the approach :)

Reactions: Brandonandon

Necere

Shrink Ray Wielder
NCASE
Feb 22, 2015
Also, what's the ground clearance on this case? It looks marginal in pictures... does the bottom "hat" do anything to improve that? Performance of any bottom-mounted fans/rads is going to be poor if it's too restrictive...

Megaden44

Average Stuffer
May 25, 2017
Also, what's the ground clearance on this case? It looks marginal in pictures... does the bottom "hat" do anything to improve that? Performance of any bottom-mounted fans/rads is going to be poor if it's too restrictive...
this was discussed earlier, one of the add ons on their list is a bottom hat that lifted the case up with "arches" on all 4 sides of the hat for ventilation. They are going to do a test to see if lifting the case up more has an effect on thermals.

Boil

SFF Guru
Nov 11, 2015
this was discussed earlier, one of the add ons on their list is a bottom hat that lifted the case up with "arches" on all 4 sides of the hat for ventilation. They are going to do a test to see if lifting the case up more has an effect on thermals.

I have suggested the Pedestal a few times, there is a rough sketch somewhere in this thread of same...

The current rubber stick on 'feet' are maximum of 5mm (if I am not mistaken), I feel (as my prior specification & sketch show) a 20mm gap from desktop to 'bottom' of chassis would provide best airflow...

Last edited:

edrenmarc

Trash Compacter
Sep 28, 2017
Not to be rude, but these pics are borderline worthless. Your audience is technical, don't forget that. More substance, less style.

I completely agree and have mentioned this before but I'm sure I sound a bit rude saying it. It's not hard to take photos, they don't have to be full blown studio quality and fully edited. But less artsy filtered macro shots. Just simple product display.

It should be said that marketing a product that has more than one color and only having 1 real photo of the secondary color on the kickstarter is doing Louqe a disservice. People don't know what the real second color is besides descriptions and only a few who scour this sff thread or other forums actually know what the color would look like. You're losing possible backers who would want the second color because there are a lack of visual displays of the product. The backers numbers could be higher but people who don't care about black don't know what their other option is.

Personally, I don't get why adding photos is difficult. Most of the photos we've seen are orginally from the instagram so the angles are ridiculous and it's filter heavy. The 2 color samples don't really help. These forums have members who are detail oriented, who are obsessed by millimeters yet they give color samples in poor lighting with a background that looks exactly like the lighter color.

If the stretch goal is 200%, photos speak far louder than words. There's so many people asking things like "is there a place to mount this, or how can we route wires here, can a fan fit here, etc". Many questions can be answered with photos. For example, Newegg has great photos of a good majority of computer components.

If your goal is to sell a product, display the product and it's multiple options well. You'll get less repetitive questions and the product should sell better.

Even if it's not the exact colors you can just put a disclaimer saying that the colors are still being adjusted. Just have something up for visual reference.

Last edited:

92MPAU

Cable Smoosher
Dec 12, 2017
You probably interpreting everything right. Even though I'm not sure what comments you are referring to. Let me comment on "noisy" and the 2.2dB (actually 1.8). I guess everyone knows the dB scale is logarithmic and that +2 dB = a doubled sound intensity measured in watts. So every dB is a large step. And it becomes more significant at these levels when it is close to what the human ear can pick up where 20dB is "audible". In the test you are referring to the microphone was sitting only 10 cm away from the side of the Ghost to pick up more noise. In reality you'll never sit this close to a computer. Sound waves loos intensity with the qube of the distance, by the time they reach your ears they will go below the "audible" level which is what you want from a silent computer. With the L12 this is what happens but not with the BigShurikan combo you are still able to just hear if loaded heavily for a longer time.

There is no reason for us to prize a discontinued cooler since it rises questions and a very tiresome discussion regarding case volume increases over and over again. So you can rest assure, we don't WANT the L12 to be any good compared to competition, implying the L12S would good as well. But the fact is that it is the best alternative that balances noise and cooling performance that we have tested so far. We need to be honest with this in order for everyone to have the same baseline information in the pursuit for the perfect AIR cooler for the Ghost S1 going forward. Currently the L12 is that magic cooler if you care about having a dead silent computer, soon we will find something better!

Really appreciate your reply. Very interesting to see the difference between cooler options, but will definitely need to do a bit more research and self-testing once our units arrive in 2018!

BillyBob

Caliper Novice
Dec 12, 2017
Looking at the Kickstarter page for this case it says the price includes 25% Swedish VAT

Could it be right that this Swedish VAT is payable if the case is sent to a location outside the EU?

Wondering why they would set up a kickstarter page that automatically adds Swedish VAT if they know the purchaser may well be outside the EU. Hmmmmm.....puzzling. 25% is not insignificant. This means I will pay local VAT on Swedish VAT once I import to my country. A tax on a tax. Gotta love that.

PaChalski

Airflow Optimizer
Original poster
LOUQE
Mar 15, 2017
Thanks for this!
I'm now debating keeping by EVGA 1080ti Hybrid, but can't seem to find a decent 120mm AIO for CPU.
The Kraken X31 is no longer made (superseded by the X42).
I'm also wondering if the pump noise from gpu/cpu is audible in the case on a desk? Especially at idle?
Also, I believe AIO's are supposed to have the radiator mounted above the pump to stop air getting in the pump. Is it possible to do dual AIO's in a top mounted TopHat?
I'm tempted to sell my Hybrid and get the FTW3 and the NH-L12 for 8700K.
Hmm..

You are right about the placement of the radiator. It states clearly that is should be place above the GPU for "optimal performance".

And the hybrid card we have here is not quiet. It is defiantly louder on idle compared to a non-blower card which is dead silent on idle with fans standing still at temps below 50 C? You have it so I'm guessing yours is audible as well?

PaChalski

Airflow Optimizer
Original poster
LOUQE
Mar 15, 2017
I have suggested the Pedestal a few times, there is a rough sketch somewhere in this thread of same...

The current rubber stick on 'feet' are maximum of 5mm (if I am not mistaken), I feel (as my prior specification & sketch show) a 20mm gap from desktop to 'bottom' of chassis would provide best airflow...

We have saved your sketched in a safe area! =) 5 mm is the correct.

@Necere, as stated before. IF we can se proof of a significant performance difference when we test different elevations, we will ship the case with different feet heights for you to pic and choose from.

htko89

Trash Compacter
Nov 22, 2017
@PaChalski regarding feet / bottom ventilation, we take take the approach of the NCASE M1 - like http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-874IbE49L...)+NCASE+M1-Minimax3-DSC04211-+silver+feet.JPG.

Since this type of feel is pretty much universal - especially amongst home theatre equipment: https://www.focusattack.com/40mm-aluminum-anti-slip-joystick-case-feet-set-of-4/ . This aesthetic seems to fit the Louqe and provisioning threaded hole for these before production should be relatively cheap + reduces a need for a specific bottomhat (don't get me wrong, more tophats are nice)

MiniMe

Trash Compacter
Nov 25, 2017
@PaChalski regarding feet / bottom ventilation, we take take the approach of the NCASE M1 - like http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-874IbE49Li0/VHULue7xAEI/AAAAAAAAJ_w/T7PNrPXDbX4/s1600/(16)+NCASE+M1-Minimax3-DSC04211-+silver+feet.JPG.

Since this type of feel is pretty much universal - especially amongst home theatre equipment: https://www.focusattack.com/40mm-aluminum-anti-slip-joystick-case-feet-set-of-4/ . This aesthetic seems to fit the Louqe and provisioning threaded hole for these before production should be relatively cheap + reduces a need for a specific bottomhat (don't get me wrong, more tophats are nice)

Exactly what design I put forward to (using again the NCase as reference) them when I initially asked if the feet were interchangeable because I am completely in the same mindset that those feet would look great on the ghost.

Reactions: htko89

SeeFiFo

Average Stuffer
May 14, 2017
@PaChalskiSince this type of feel is pretty much universal - especially amongst home theatre equipment: https://www.focusattack.com/40mm-aluminum-anti-slip-joystick-case-feet-set-of-4/ . This aesthetic seems to fit the Louqe and provisioning threaded hole for these before production should be relatively cheap + reduces a need for a specific bottomhat (don't get me wrong, more tophats are nice)

Should be simple to mount these with double-sided mounting tape (the kind of tape designed for permanent installations, which can be removed if needed though it takes a bit of force). This way no threaded holes are necessary.

PaChalski

Airflow Optimizer
Original poster
LOUQE
Mar 15, 2017
@PaChalski regarding feet / bottom ventilation, we take take the approach of the NCASE M1 - like http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-874IbE49Li0/VHULue7xAEI/AAAAAAAAJ_w/T7PNrPXDbX4/s1600/(16)+NCASE+M1-Minimax3-DSC04211-+silver+feet.JPG.

Exactly what design I put forward to (using again the NCase as reference) them when I initially asked if the feet were interchangeable because I am completely in the same mindset that those feet would look great on the ghost.

Should be simple to mount these with double-sided mounting tape (the kind of tape designed for permanent installations, which can be removed if needed though it takes a bit of force). This way no threaded holes are necessary.

We have evaluated this option, in fact it was even implemented at an early stage. The problem with it is that is will intrude the internal space causing the case to grow in size. This is especially true if they are adjustable, having the threads go into the case. Problems are created in three of the corners:

- Right back corner where the C13 is placed as far down as possible to maximize GPU height
- Front corners need to be flush to maximize case fan space

We don't have the same luxury as other designs have and are forced to shave millimeters off here and there to stay within firm limits. The feet we have selected are made out of a soft rubber compound that reduces vibrations and make the case grip like crazy. Please see the live stream replay where we illustrate the friction of the feet by tilting the case about 45 degrees on a flat surface without the case sliding.