Prototype The world most flexible SFF case? LOUQE Ghost S1

PaChalski

Airflow Optimizer
Original poster
LOUQE
Mar 15, 2017
I'm pretty sure dual 120 AIO is in the < 5% minority. Experimenting with a more common setup is better worth your budget.

For example ... acrylic / tempered glass side panel? That'll get a lot of attention.

Now that the tempered glass came up again we got a little urge, but this will not be ready to the kickstarter and will take more time to complete than we have. Have you seen the concept renderings we have done with the glass sides?

Reactions: Biowarejak

PaChalski

Airflow Optimizer
Original poster
LOUQE
Mar 15, 2017
is it possible to mount the res on the highlighted area? (see spoiler pict below) most popular pump for SFF is ddc pump, size about 68x68mm,
pumpres combo xspc ion dimensions is smaller than ddc pump res combo, but i think ddc pump is more popular than xspc ion.
xspc ion pump res combo only for my personal choice.
about the riser, 3M is more expensive (MSRP around US$ 80-90) than Li heat (MSRP around US$ 40-50), i suggest you go with Li heat, for cost reduction.

No, I don't think you will be able to fit a res in the highlighted areas if you are using a 240-rad.

PaChalski

Airflow Optimizer
Original poster
LOUQE
Mar 15, 2017
If you have free time you could take a look at the dust filter situation.
We haven't heard much about them yet. Will there be a bottom dust filter as well as side filters?

Also, if the worry about front panel connectors is aesthetic, why not just put them in the back of the case? The extra USB ports are really nice to have, especially with some motherboards having fewer USB ports.

Good point, we are actually waiting to receive sample filters from different suppliers right now. Yes, both side and bottom filters.

Marvelm

Cable-Tie Ninja
Oct 20, 2017
I have a question regarding the TopHats. I assume they're separate parts, right? Is there a possibility to just order a taller case instead of having the parts separated? The looks of the separation between the main case and the TopHat is kind of a turn off for me.

Biowarejak

Maker of Awesome | User 1615
Platinum Supporter
Mar 6, 2017
I have a question regarding the TopHats. I assume they're separate parts, right? Is there a possibility to just order a taller case instead of having the parts separated? The looks of the separation between the main case and the TopHat is kind of a turn off for me.
Yes they are separate, and I'm betting the answer to your other question is no. The modularity is one of the key selling points and it would require extensive reworking and a whole separate production line to make the large top-hat integral.

bennyGrose

Chassis Packer
Sep 10, 2017
@PaChalski Personally, I'd really like to see thermals and noises volumes with different CPUs and CPU heatsinks. As in a comparison of the most common/popular heatsinks for this time, while also seeing how different CPUs work in these scenarios. Obviously depending on what chips you have on hand, but like I'm deciding between an 8700k and the non k version due to heat dissipation limitations

bennyGrose

Chassis Packer
Sep 10, 2017
Also, I was wandering if any of the cost savings from going with the LiHeat riser over the 3M will be transferred to us? I know LiHeat retails for about $40 USD less than the 3M riser, and while I'm all in favor of taking steps to ship the case faster, I'm curious if we will see that price reduction reflected in the Kickstarter/Retail price? I mean the original promotional material included the use of the 3M and people were backing with that understanding at the time.

johnny4eyes

Caliper Novice
Oct 18, 2017
Have there been any tests to see if the case is overall cooler with top-pull bottom-push fan orientation?

Would love to see a comparison with 2x NF-F12 / Single Medium Tophat vs 4x NF-A12x15 / Dual Small Top/Bottomhat.

I really just like the idea of symmetry and want a reason to overload it with fans! :)

water melon

Cable Smoosher
Sep 18, 2017
@PaChalski Personally, I'd really like to see thermals and noises volumes with different CPUs and CPU heatsinks. As in a comparison of the most common/popular heatsinks for this time, while also seeing how different CPUs work in these scenarios. Obviously depending on what chips you have on hand, but like I'm deciding between an 8700k and the non k version due to heat dissipation limitations

You can undervolt the K and get the same or even better temps as the non-K with better performance.

PaChalski

Airflow Optimizer
Original poster
LOUQE
Mar 15, 2017
If you have free time you could take a look at the dust filter situation.
We haven't heard much about them yet. Will there be a bottom dust filter as well as side filters?

Also, if the worry about front panel connectors is aesthetic, why not just put them in the back of the case? The extra USB ports are really nice to have, especially with some motherboards having fewer USB ports.

Filters have arrived and we will soon begin testing, right now we are doing the CPU heat sink test and will hopefully publish the results during the day.

Regarding IO in the back, this is a possibility, but limited value add and a lot of work to get that in.

HooglyBoogly

Trash Compacter
Apr 19, 2016
Filters have arrived and we will soon begin testing, right now we are doing the CPU heat sink test and will hopefully publish the results during the day.

Regarding IO in the back, this is a possibility, but limited value add and a lot of work to get that in.
Awesome, looking forward to seeing the results! I get that the IO doesn't add too much for most people. I guess if I really need the ports I can figure out some way to do it.

tecent

Chassis Packer
Aug 22, 2017

PaChalski

Airflow Optimizer
Original poster
LOUQE
Mar 15, 2017
interesting to see big shuriken leading ahead. Perhaps with top venting fans, the L12 might do better, since a 92 fan is slightly underpowered to maximize the airflow for L12.

It is not that conclusive, the Shurikens fan was set to 38% up to 70 degrees, where it was noiseless, the L12 was set at 60% for the noiseless level. This gives the Shuriken a more aggressive RPM acceleration ones the temps exceed 70 degrees and brings the temps down faster but also creating more noise. In my opinion the cooling-to-noise ratio is what matters and I'm pretty sure you'd be ale to keep the CPU cooler at a given noise level with the L12. These type of test are hard to make comparable, if only noise or temps were to be compared it would have been easier. Testing the maximum cooling capacity would be done by letting the fans run at 100% all the time, if it is only noise that we are interested in we would let the temps go up to ~80 degrees (avoiding Throttling) and measure only noise. Creating a reasonable and comparable day-to-day scenario that considers both noise and temps is not as straight forward.

Thehack

Spatial Philosopher
Creator
Mar 6, 2016
J-hackcompany.com
It is not that conclusive, the Shurikens fan was set to 38% up to 70 degrees, where it was noiseless, the L12 was set at 60% for the noiseless level. This gives the Shuriken a more aggressive RPM acceleration ones the temps exceed 70 degrees and brings the temps down faster but also creating more noise. In my opinion the cooling-to-noise ratio is what matters and I'm pretty sure you'd be ale to keep the CPU cooler at a given noise level with the L12. These type of test are hard to make comparable, if only noise or temps were to be compared it would have been easier. Testing the maximum cooling capacity would be done by letting the fans run at 100% all the time, if it is only noise that we are interested in we would let the temps go up to ~80 degrees (avoiding Throttling) and measure only noise. Creating a reasonable and comparable day-to-day scenario that considers both noise and temps is not as straight forward.

May I recommend a solution:

Choose a reasonable dB level at ~.5-1meter away from the computer in a very quiet room. Best done without GPU.

Adjust flat fan curve to meet that dB level (lets say 35dB). Run a 15 minute high power consumption test. Record temperature at end of test.

This measures cooling against noise. This is important because you can generally trade noise for better cooling and by adjusting fan curve and having different dB, you're not controlling for that factor.

Likewise, you can do the reverse. Run power test and adjust fan curve until the temperature is at a set point, for example 75C. Then measure the noise output against CPUs running at 75C.

PaChalski

Airflow Optimizer
Original poster
LOUQE
Mar 15, 2017
May I recommend a solution:

Choose a reasonable dB level at ~.5-1meter away from the computer in a very quiet room. Best done without GPU.

Adjust flat fan curve to meet that dB level (lets say 35dB). Run a 15 minute high power consumption test. Record temperature at end of test.

This measures cooling against noise. This is important because you can generally trade noise for better cooling and by adjusting fan curve and having different dB, you're not controlling for that factor.

Likewise, you can do the reverse. Run power test and adjust fan curve until the temperature is at a set point, for example 75C. Then measure the noise output against CPUs running at 75C.

Good suggestion! I think the latter is easier to do and "controll". We are focusing on other areas right now, filters is a current priority so there is limited time. If we were to do this, could we do it with 2 or 3 coolers to save some time? Which ones should we include then? Cryorig, L12 and Suriken?