Prototype The world most flexible SFF case? LOUQE Ghost S1

edrenmarc

Trash Compacter
Sep 28, 2017
I commented on the Instagram post regarding the top grill color asking why the top grill is grey on both launch colors. I believe the official response was that the top grill will only come in grey for both white and grey cases on release.

Those who are interested are worried about the slightest details like button placement or indentations ruining the visual aesthetic of the case. So the white case launching with a grey top grill is slightly disappointing.

I think it'd be a shame for those who are interested in this case for the minimal design and would want the white case to receive a grey top that doesn't match the case.

Assuming they'd have to order a separate grille down the line once it's offered in white kind of sucks.

Reactions: Biowarejak

PaChalski

Airflow Optimizer
Original poster
LOUQE
Mar 15, 2017
I was just looking at the revised post and I know it may be a little late but could you do something to make the power button a little less pronounced. As in maybe get rid of the cutout/indent of the power button symbol, and make the button flush with the front panel. I remember we were discussing where the power button would go and if we could avoid putting it on the front, in my mind if you are puttin the button on the front no one should really be able to see where the button is unless you are the one who actually owns the case, to maintain the best aesthetics and functionality. (if any of that made any sense)

Good comment, our ambition is to make it as flush and invisible as possible! We will consider removing the cutout.

PaChalski

Airflow Optimizer
Original poster
LOUQE
Mar 15, 2017
I commented on the Instagram post regarding the top grill color asking why the top grill is grey on both launch colors. I believe the official response was that the top grill will only come in grey for both white and grey cases on release.

Those who are interested are worried about the slightest details like button placement or indentations ruining the visual aesthetic of the case. So the white case launching with a grey top grill is slightly disappointing.

I think it'd be a shame for those who are interested in this case for the minimal design and would want the white case to receive a grey top that doesn't match the case.

Assuming they'd have to order a separate grille down the line once it's offered in white kind of sucks.

This is a question of both cost (MOQs & SKUs) and aesthetic preferences, many seem to like the contrasting grill on the white case and it is more cost effective to do it this way.

edrenmarc

Trash Compacter
Sep 28, 2017
This is a question of both cost (MOQs & SKUs) and aesthetic preferences, many seem to like the contrasting grill on the white case and it is more cost effective to do it this way.

Would it be possible to have an unfinished metal top grill option added in this situation with the white case?

Not having to paint several top grills would be cost effective and still allow for a lighter color combination. Even allowing the customer to paint or customize the top grill as they please.

As there's interest in the unfinished metal as well.

waitlist

Efficiency Noob
Sep 8, 2017
I personally want all black. ash grey is fine.

but I would vote for an unfinished version too. (so others can get it painted or powder coat to a different color.) That'd bring down some cost too.

Reactions: edrenmarc

PaChalski

Airflow Optimizer
Original poster
LOUQE
Mar 15, 2017
Would it be possible to have an unfinished metal top grill option added in this situation with the white case?

Not having to paint several top grills would be cost effective and still allow for a lighter color combination. Even allowing the customer to paint or customize the top grill as they please.

As there's interest in the unfinished metal as well.

It would be, but the question is what the demand would be.

There has been a lot of comments regarding the dark grey grill on the white case in line with what @edrenmarc has said. So we are running the numbers on doing two versions of the grill right now.

Ouroboros

Minimal Tinkerer
Sep 16, 2017
Don't take this the bad way but you should keep engaging the community more. Writing something on a forum less than once a week doesn't look good, at least to me.
The way you are doing things, you are risking not having enough people interested in your project to help make it succeed.

Last edited:

PaChalski

Airflow Optimizer
Original poster
LOUQE
Mar 15, 2017
Don't take this the bad way but you should keep engaging the community more. Writing something on a forum less than once a week doesn't look good, at least to me.
The way you are doing things, you are risking not having enough people interested in your project to help make it succeed.

I totally agree! The last couple of days we have been focusing on the homepage and evaluated different surface treatments. It looks like we will go for a slightly more expensive but gorgeous glass blasted anodized finish.

PaChalski

Airflow Optimizer
Original poster
LOUQE
Mar 15, 2017
Could you test Ghost S1 with 8700K + 240mm Aio cooler before releasing ? Looks like there is no alternative below 10 lt case with support of 240 mm Aio, except concepts.

What would you want to see in this test? If it works, temps? I'm not sure I see the dilemma. What is the TDP of the 8700K?

odeniz

Caliper Novice
Jun 16, 2017
What would you want to see in this test? If it works, temps? I'm not sure I see the dilemma. What is the TDP of the 8700K?

Max temp with default turbo boost. i just want to keep it under 80 degrees of this 95W TDP processor. I want below 10 lt portable case with 8700K

Last edited:

PaChalski

Airflow Optimizer
Original poster
LOUQE
Mar 15, 2017
Max temp with default turbo boost. i just want to keep it under 80 degrees of this 95W TDP processor. I just want below 10 lt portable case with 8700K

OK, in the test we have published the CPU used was a:
Intel Core i7-7700K Kaby Lake Processor
Socket-LGA1151, Quad Core, 4.2GHz, 8MB cache, 91W, 14nm, HD630

It peaked at around 60 degrees with ultra low fan RPM settings for noiseless operation, we can't wait to get these results confirmed by reviewers - easier to believe then.

The 8700 with it's 5% TDP increase should not have a huge impact on temperatures and defiantly keep CPU-temp well below 80.

Link to the report again: http://louqe.com/img/img/ext/ext/alphatest.pdf
Remember that the cooling, specifically for the CPU, is close to an open bench system thanks to the fresh air that is hitting the the fins!

There is a lot of things we would like to do and test with this case but we simply do not have unlimited resources and need to prioritize what we do test. A dream scenario would be for the community to help us out here once the product is out and we count on our reviewers to really stress the poor Ghost to the fullest!

bennyGrose

Chassis Packer
Sep 10, 2017
@PaChalski It has come to my attention that the case will now be utilizing the LiHeat PCIe riser instead of the 3M riser. I'm not saying one is better than the other, actually exactly the opposite, I don't know enough about either to make any kind of judgement at this point. I remember the 3M riser was known for being more expensive than other risers, but also was much better in terms of quality of the signal. Could you just talk a little about the pros and cons of each and what this change means for the case? As always, your responses are greatly appreciated.

Reactions: Biowarejak

PaChalski

Airflow Optimizer
Original poster
LOUQE
Mar 15, 2017
@PaChalski It has come to my attention that the case will now be utilizing the LiHeat PCIe riser instead of the 3M riser. I'm not saying one is better than the other, actually exactly the opposite, I don't know enough about either to make any kind of judgement at this point. I remember the 3M riser was known for being more expensive than other risers, but also was much better in terms of quality of the signal. Could you just talk a little about the pros and cons of each and what this change means for the case? As always, your responses are greatly appreciated.

Good this came up!

We have done a lot of testing of different risers since the start. Two performed perfectly with no noticeable loss in signal or frame rate, the others had issues. So we keep the two for a long time, made sure they were interchangeable with identical mountings and placements. We have been running the two on separate riggs for close to a year now and have not been able to identify any difference in every day life - like they were not there.

We also sent a set of risers to one of our earlier backers for a second opinion to verify our results and he reached the same conclusion, no measurable difference in terms of performance.

There are some differences in other areas:
- Aesthetically one looks better and it allows us to put our own design to it in terms of graphics and fabric colors
- Functionally one comes with a locking mechanism for the GPU
- Lead times and delivery flexibility is significantly better

The last point has been the most significant aspect of this decision but the all play in. The only drawback of this cable is the fact that it is not as "foldable" and has a larger radius in the bends, 3M cable can be folded almost like a piece of paper. However, the Ghost is wide enough that this does not matter.

Below you see some results from before the summer:

Reactions: Biowarejak and |||

PaChalski

Airflow Optimizer
Original poster
LOUQE
Mar 15, 2017
A small but potentially important question.

The updated design is allowing us to pack the components efficiently and reduce the package volume significantly, think IKEA-style and flat packaging. Shipping the case assembled will put us in a “dimension weight” bracket, where the volume dictates the freight cost instead of weight.

Shipping the case in a flat package is a possibility that we would like to get your input on. The benefits are a 30% reduction in transport cost with slight region variations. The drawback is that you’ll need to do some of the assembly work yourselves, specifically the 6 screws that hold the “Spine” together, the two riser screws and the 4 power button PCB screws.