Prototype The world most flexible SFF case? LOUQE Ghost S1

Qrash

Cable-Tie Ninja
Aug 10, 2015
The additional 16mm comes from the Small Tophat. Im thinking about attaching it to the bottom of the case instead. I'm assuming the bottom grill on the case can be removed and attached to the tophat instead, thus increasing space down there by 15.5 or 16.5 mm (based off what you said about increasing all top hat sizes by 1mm)

Please let me know if im getting this all confused.

It makes sense to me. Remove the bottom from the main case (XS) so that a 3.5 inch hard drive protrudes down into the bottom Small Tophat. Is the space in the central spine that is left for a 2.5-inch drive (or a fan) wide enough for a 3.5-inch hard drive?

Last edited:
Reactions: Biowarejak

PaChalski

Airflow Optimizer
Original poster
LOUQE
Mar 15, 2017
Nice! I honestly think a product like that would be amazing for SFF but also for other PC hardware enthusiasts who want an air cooler with all the benefits of an AIO.
We are looking at some never before used materials for the heat sink, a special type of graphene that has a thermal cundutivity 175% better than copper. Expensive at the moment but as graphene prices are coming down this looks like a promising solution for the SFF universe by the time it will be launched. The material will be announced globally i February (keep an eye on this) and we are hoping to kick of the project end of March together with this Uppsala based company that has developed this material when production of the Ghost is secured. I’m extremely excited and we are likely to receive EU funding for this project. No other graphene funding applicants have shown a solid application for this material yet if you ask me.

Chrip

Average Stuffer
Nov 16, 2017
I've been asking a lot of questions, but I just want to take a moment to truly compliment you @PaChalski and your team for what you guys are doing for the SFF community. This project is insane on so many levels and seeing your plan for continued support of this platform is amazing.

Keep up the good work.

DontPeek

Trash Compacter
Oct 17, 2016
We are looking at some never before used materials for the heat sink, a special type of graphene that has a thermal cundutivity 175% better than copper. Expensive at the moment but as graphene prices are coming down this looks like a promising solution for the SFF universe by the time it will be launched. The material will be announced globally i February (keep an eye on this) and we are hoping to kick of the project end of March together with this Uppsala based company that has developed this material when production of the Ghost is secured. I’m extremely excited and we are likely to receive EU funding for this project. No other graphene funding applicants have shown a solid application for this material yet if you ask me.

Wow very interesting. This industry is really in need of innovation like this.

B14CKB1RD

Average Stuffer
Dec 7, 2017
@PaChalski in case you haven't seen this on Kickstarter page, I'll just copy here.
So I'm not sure what material is used for PSU bracket, aluminum or steel, but its not clear did you guys incorporated Reinforced Angle Brackets to the PSU bracket itself?

Its something like this, small gutter or slot in the middle of the angle,
http:// bit . ly /2Cjadmr
http:// bit . ly /2CgvtJp

It will greatly add to bracket sturdiness and overall stability when the PSU is mounted and hanging down from a bracket. Hopefully this will not add to production cost. I know that SFX(L) PSUs are far lighter then standard ones but this little tweak is primarily for stability as you might know. Especially if or when you're transferring the Ghost for longer periods of time. (Moving, LAN parties, etc.)

If on the other hand the PSU bracket is already made from stronger material like spring steel, then this is kinda useless. Thanks.

Last edited:

vicmeister

What's an ITX?
New User
Dec 29, 2017
Just suggestion, i bought asus z370-i motherboard, its only supports usb 3.1 gen 2 with i/o front panel connector, there is no gen 2 on back panel. So you can leave a hole in the rear panel for future improvements. If can be same size with the next gen top grills i/o hole, some users can plug i/o card to top panel some plug in to rear panel for more clean look. This hole may be useful to those who make the mod.

Hi All, long time lurker, first time poster. I am planning a workstation build for the Louqe Ghost S1 which is now possible due to ITX motherboards now having multiple M.2 slots.

A requirement I have is the need to for legacy RS232 IO ports. The suggestion by odeniz for the rear IO panel would have been nice but another solution for me would be to offer a PCI slot to the rear of the future IO tophat or medium tophat. With this a single M.2 slot could be converted to a PCIE x4 slot and an additional PCIe device (eg. sound card, video capture card or legacy IO card) could be incorporated into various builds.

Another possible use case for the excellent tophat system is a NAS box using a motherboard such as the Astock C2750D4I. If there was a tophat specially designed for holding multiple 3.5 inch drives, one can simply expand the storage capacity of the NAS by adding more tophats. I would love a XL tophat that had 3 x 5.25" vertical drive bays exposed to add a hot swap hard drive rack but understand that this would be a fairly niche add-on and potentially not viable.

I have also been following the the Custom Loop project by Faggan. Is there any plans to make the custom reservoir and PSU pump brackets that he has made commercially available?

SeeFiFo

Average Stuffer
May 14, 2017
23. Side filter pickup: I don't think the dust filters would be removed that often to warrant this. Not completely necessary in my opinion.

I disagree, partially because I actually do clean my dust filters often, but mainly because it's usully an annoying butt-pain to remove a recessed dust filter if the case hasn't been designed for ease of such removal.

PaChalski

Airflow Optimizer
Original poster
LOUQE
Mar 15, 2017
@PaChalski in case you haven't seen this on Kickstarter page, I'll just copy here.
So I'm not sure what material is used for PSU bracket, aluminum or steel, but its not clear did you guys incorporated Reinforced Angle Brackets to the PSU bracket itself?

Its something like this, small gutter or slot in the middle of the angle,
http:// bit . ly /2Cjadmr
http:// bit . ly /2CgvtJp

It will greatly add to bracket sturdiness and overall stability when the PSU is mounted and hanging down from a bracket. Hopefully this will not add to production cost. I know that SFX(L) PSUs are far lighter then standard ones but this little tweak is primarily for stability as you might know. Especially if or when you're transferring the Ghost for longer periods of time. (Moving, LAN parties, etc.)

If on the other hand the PSU bracket is already made from stronger material like spring steel, then this is kinda useless. Thanks.
It is made from 2.5mm steel and there is absolutely no chance it will give, massively over dimensioned. Knowing there will be huge forces on this part when pushing and pulling connectors we were not taking any risks here.

PaChalski

Airflow Optimizer
Original poster
LOUQE
Mar 15, 2017
Hi All, long time lurker, first time poster. I am planning a workstation build for the Louqe Ghost S1 which is now possible due to ITX motherboards now having multiple M.2 slots.

A requirement I have is the need to for legacy RS232 IO ports. The suggestion by odeniz for the rear IO panel would have been nice but another solution for me would be to offer a PCI slot to the rear of the future IO tophat or medium tophat. With this a single M.2 slot could be converted to a PCIE x4 slot and an additional PCIe device (eg. sound card, video capture card or legacy IO card) could be incorporated into various builds.

Another possible use case for the excellent tophat system is a NAS box using a motherboard such as the Astock C2750D4I. If there was a tophat specially designed for holding multiple 3.5 inch drives, one can simply expand the storage capacity of the NAS by adding more tophats. I would love a XL tophat that had 3 x 5.25" vertical drive bays exposed to add a hot swap hard drive rack but understand that this would be a fairly niche add-on and potentially not viable.

I have also been following the the Custom Loop project by Faggan. Is there any plans to make the custom reservoir and PSU pump brackets that he has made commercially available?

Your ideas have been added to our longlist! thank you. We have been looking at the development of NVMA and we see it as a very strong candidate to replace the PCIe ports down the line.

Yes, we will take all the findings that Fraggan has provided and let them marinate before we start working on a refined solution of pump bracket and reservoir kit!

Kmpkt

Innovation through Miniaturization
KMPKT
Feb 1, 2016
So so glad you guys scrapped the first Kickstarter and actually got your product out there in the proper channels. D2D with a 1 million person viewer base is a sweet product placement. Congrats on doing it right this time around. Hope you move a pile of cases after his Supreme build vid!

Last edited:

Bladezero25

What's an ITX?
Dec 30, 2017
So so glad you guys scrapped the first Kickstarter and actually got your product out there in the proper channels. D2D with a 1 million person viewer base is a sweet product placement. Congrats on doing it right this time around. Hope you move a pile of cases after his Supreme build vid!

I'm super disappointed the video is coming out late for the Kickstarter, but I guess any coverage is good.

What Dave did to that Ghost case is absolutely revolting! It ruins entirely the clean and refined look of the case imo. Also, the stupid brand becomes more a discussion and focus than the actual case!!

Anyways, let's hope for much better videos in the future!

Chrip

Average Stuffer
Nov 16, 2017
He could have left out the 'Supreme' text

makes it look tacky. Either way, glad hes liking the case more than any other sff case

Reactions: SeeFiFo

NinoPecorino

Tweezer Squeezer
Platinum Supporter
Nov 24, 2017
Is tophats made of 4 pieces ? like case outside. What is the reason of a little curve here?

yes. the tophats are made from the same extrusion process. it's what makes adding IO or a slim drive opening to the tophat so easy. that tophat was probably slightly bent in shipping or in the build process.

MerkuR

Efficiency Noob
May 31, 2017
If I want one, is it possible to contribute somehow or I need to wait until other Kickstarter campaign starts?

Really excited with this case!

Reactions: wesbl