Prototype The world most flexible SFF case? LOUQE Ghost S1

joey431

Minimal Tinkerer
Sep 19, 2017
1. 4 SSDs!!! I'm not sure 4 will fit in the M-TopHat, 3 will. You could mount the HDD tray on top of the top plate and there is your SSD mounting.

2. I'm not sure what you mean with "holes that occupy 120mm in width.". Both the top and the bottom plate have holes that
accommodate 120 mm components (fans, rads etc.)

3. Could you please elaborate on this? I'm not sure I understand how you would have wanted the air flow to go.

1. High-reliability systems use the ZFS file system which requires minimum 3 disks for ZFS1 (1 disk can fail), minimum 4 disks for ZFS2 (2 disks can fail) and minimum 5 disks for ZFS3 (3 disks can fail). Why not just provide a SSD/HDD tray for all the tophats. S tophat will allow one 7mm disk, M will allow up to three 7mm SSD and L will allow up to seven 7mm SSD. That can be sold as an accessory item.

2. That is fine then.

3. Ideally you want to keep the air flowing in one direction. My setup will have a blower style graphics card so I don't have to worry about airflow for it. As for the CPU airflow, ideally I want a 120mm fan installed on the side panel that is facing the CPU cooler. That way it just pulls the air from the CPU cooler. Look at the Sharkoon QB One for an example where the CPU cooler sends the air up and it is pulled out of the case by two 120mm fans. That allows high TDP CPU to be installed. Given the aesthetics I doubt you will implement that on this case because that would require increase the width of the case. There is no provision to attach a fan externally because that would require wiring.

joey431

Minimal Tinkerer
Sep 19, 2017
It is the regular card, not a 'ti'

One accessory item to consider is an optional side panel that has an extra 26mm of space. Hopefully both the side panels, right and left, are interchangeable, i.e. you can put a side panel on either side. With this accessory side panel that is 26mm thicker one can put it on the GPU side thus accommodating 2.5 slot cards, or one can put it on the CPU side to accommodate CPU coolers that are a bit bigger or to install 2 extra case fans.

bennyGrose

Chassis Packer
Sep 10, 2017
So, I'm curious did the test build reveal anything about some of the looming questions regarding the case? i.e.: Do you think 2 AIOs on both the cpu and gpu would be possible?, Do you think the inclusion of a plastic shroud to protect the back of the graphics card is necessary? What are you now thinking in terms of front I/O and lighting? (I realized today that the Dan Case does not have a PWR LED and it seems to have worked for them) If the community can remember any thing I'm forgetting please add them in!!

P.S. I know I've said this 100 times before, but seeing the build video only instills more confidence in me about the product and I really can't wait to see this come to fruition! And BTW hate to say it, but I'm kinda joining the pure/unpainted anodized aluminum finish band wagon!

Last edited:
Reactions: Biowarejak

PaChalski

Airflow Optimizer
Original poster
LOUQE
Mar 15, 2017
A test with and without the 120mm fan und er the power supply would be very interesting.

OK, we played some BattleField One last night on the prototype. We logged the sensors during Campaign 3. Avanti Savoi! first with the bottom fan installed (XS+) and the again without the fan installed (XS). The experience made the game significantly shorter the second time around but nevertheless the system temperatures reached a steady equilibrium in both runs making them comparable.

The conclusion is that it makes very little differens, see result below:

PaChalski

Airflow Optimizer
Original poster
LOUQE
Mar 15, 2017
So, I'm curious did the test build reveal anything about some of the looming questions regarding the case? i.e.: Do you think 2 AIOs on both the cpu and gpu would be possible?, Do you think the inclusion of a plastic shroud to protect the back of the graphics card is necessary? What are you now thinking in terms of front I/O and lighting? (I realized today that the Dan Case does not have a PWR LED and it seems to have worked for them) If the community can remember any thing I'm forgetting please add them in!!

The build resulted in a couple of updates, mainly in terms of making the TopHats work in the bottom. We will be mounting the bottom plate to the sides of the bottom placed TopHat instead of mounting it to the Gables. This because the magnets in the TopHat occupy the otherwise used holes when the TopHat is flipped up side down and placed in the bottom - It could be puzzling for some but the users that attempt this in the first place are likely well equipped. In general, we were happy to see that everything aligned correctly and no further adjustments of screw holes or stand-offs is needed. Some minor cosmetic changes have been included as well in the last update.

The GPU sits a good 8 mm from the center Blade. In the Ghost there is not really much tension anywhere as you saw in the build movie, everything sits where is's supposed to without any forcing of panels etc. We have not seen anything that would risk moving the GPU out of place - so no plastic protective shroud.

I/O, we are going for the front mounted PWR-button + LED, other I/O ports will go into TopHats but they will probably not be completed at launch.

P.S. I know I've said this 100 times before, but seeing the build video only instills more confidence in me about the product and I really can't wait to see this come to fruition! And BTW hate to say it, but I'm kinda joining the pure/unpainted anodized aluminum finish band wagon!

Good to hear!

It feels like the unpainted version is growing on people.

tecent

Chassis Packer
Aug 22, 2017
So i cant rly see a big different by the temp. between with or without fan.

CPU temps, no. But if you look at the SSD temp, there is an indication with any ventilation fan installed, the air flow in the backside of the Mobo is improved. (how fast the temp drops, not how high it maintains.)

PS Well if you run the machine 24x7 then no difference.

circlemeone

Efficiency Noob
Aug 30, 2017
I/O, we are going for the front mounted PWR-button + LED, other I/O ports will go into TopHats but they will probably not be completed at launch.
Does this mean the power button is staying the same for the final product? I wish this isn't the case for aesthetics reason. I would prefer the button either to be redesigned or out of sight, to the back or the top.

Mackan

Airflow Optimizer
Jun 2, 2016
Does this mean the power button is staying the same for the final product? I wish this isn't the case for aesthetics reason. I would prefer the button either to be redesigned or out of sight, to the back or the top.

I think there are very mixed opinions on this, which makes it hard for them to reach a conclusion. They might also have a personal preference among their own team. However, I suspect the front position is likely to satisfy more people. The top position had some problems to be combined with TopHats, if I recall correctly.

They could offer two versions though, but I am not sure if that complicates things for them. For example, two front panels, one with power button, one clean. Then two back panels, one normal, another one with power button. Since the case is so modular, I would say offering different variants of case parts could be the best way to satisfy customers.

PlatinumMad

Efficiency Noob
Aug 1, 2016
Moving the power button to the back... personally i like the idea... would you leave the PWR LED in the front? What do the rest of you say?

Just throwing an idea out there: Depending on the amount of clearance under the case, what if the power LED was placed under the front of the case? You could see the light by the reflection off the table. This would allow for a nice minimalist glow. And for people you don't want the LED, you could disconnect it and you wouldn't even know it was there. Additionally, the power button could also be positioned at the front underside of the case. As long as it's not to hard to just reach your fingers under there and press the button. There would have to be a distinctive pattern or texture on the button so you could do it with your eyes closed.

Biowarejak

Maker of Awesome | User 1615
Platinum Supporter
Mar 6, 2017
Just throwing an idea out there: Depending on the amount of clearance under the case, what if the power LED was placed under the front of the case? You could see the light by the reflection off the table. This would allow for a nice minimalist glow. And for people you don't want the LED, you could disconnect it and you wouldn't even know it was there. Additionally, the power button could also be positioned at the front underside of the case. As long as it's not to hard to just reach your fingers under there and press the button. There would have to be a distinctive pattern or texture on the button so you could do it with your eyes closed.
Some people have much larger hands than others; accommodating everyone to be able to reach under and press the button comfortably would result in a volume penalty.

PaChalski

Airflow Optimizer
Original poster
LOUQE
Mar 15, 2017

If you would redesign it but keep it in front, what would you want to change?

PaChalski

Airflow Optimizer
Original poster
LOUQE
Mar 15, 2017
I think there are very mixed opinions on this, which makes it hard for them to reach a conclusion. They might also have a personal preference among their own team. However, I suspect the front position is likely to satisfy more people. The top position had some problems to be combined with TopHats, if I recall correctly.

They could offer two versions though, but I am not sure if that complicates things for them. For example, two front panels, one with power button, one clean. Then two back panels, one normal, another one with power button. Since the case is so modular, I would say offering different variants of case parts could be the best way to satisfy customers.

This could actually be a good solution, one version would be standard and the other optional?