Prototype The world most flexible SFF case? LOUQE Ghost S1

Biowarejak

Maker of Awesome | User 1615
Platinum Supporter
Mar 6, 2017
Lastly, for the top panel on the XS, why do the ventilation holes extend all the way out to the edges of the panel? I may be alone on this but I would love to hear what the community thinks about this design choice. Personally, I dont really like it, I think it lets me see too much into the top of the case and also gives the appearance that that top panel is not sturdy (even if I know it structurally is, the appearance isn't reassuring) Again I could be totally alone on this one, would love to hear what others think!
Now that you mention it, looks like it could lose the rows and columns of holes on the outermost edges of the design and possibly look better. It does create visual interest that the corners are missing from the pattern, however :)

Reactions: bennyGrose

bennyGrose

Chassis Packer
Sep 10, 2017
Just to confirm the L9 fits in the prototype, right? I wonder which cooler (L12 vs L9) gets the better temps...
Yes, Both the L9 and the L12 will fit. The L12 not only cools the CPU better, but also stays quieter while doing it. The creator of the case recently ran tests using different configurations giving details on temps and noise levels. The results can be found here:

Below a link to the test results. Conservative fan settings with the focus on minimizing noise levels.

Test resultat Alpha prototype

Reactions: water melon

rfarmer

Spatial Philosopher
Jul 7, 2017
Sorry for asking so many questions!, but I'm curious, with the cooler coming so close to the side panel did you experience any of the 'turbulence' noise issues that have plagued other cases when the fan is too close to the side panel? (I'm thinking about the cryorig c7 in the dan case) Did you experience this anywhere else in the case? Like in the L tophat with the h100i v2. With different size radiators and such I think this may be something to start considering.

Lastly, for the top panel on the XS, why do the ventilation holes extend all the way out to the edges of the panel? I may be alone on this but I would love to hear what the community thinks about this design choice. Personally, I dont really like it, I think it lets me see too much into the top of the case and also gives the appearance that that top panel is not sturdy (even if I know it structurally is, the appearance isn't reassuring) Again I could be totally alone on this one, would love to hear what others think!

He actually stated in a previous post that you do not get turbulence with this cooler since you are only using the lower fan which is not right next to the side panel.

Reactions: Biowarejak

Biowarejak

Maker of Awesome | User 1615
Platinum Supporter
Mar 6, 2017
one more thing. might be useful to give info on whether the graphics card is blower style (founders) or with multiple fans. It only says Asus gtx1080 in the pdf.
Looking at the pictures it appears to be an axial fan based card, not blower. In one picture you can see the large heatpipes, and in another you can faintly see the fan hub stickers underneath the side panel ventilation :)

PaChalski

Airflow Optimizer
Original poster
LOUQE
Mar 15, 2017
Sorry for asking so many questions!, but I'm curious, with the cooler coming so close to the side panel did you experience any of the 'turbulence' noise issues that have plagued other cases when the fan is too close to the side panel? (I'm thinking about the cryorig c7 in the dan case) Did you experience this anywhere else in the case? Like in the L tophat with the h100i v2. With different size radiators and such I think this may be something to start considering.

Good this came up, love all the questions!!!
The L12 cooler with only the lower fan installed is in total 66 mm tall, the clearance is ~66,5 mm and we will reduce the thickness of the blade from 3 to 2 mm in the last update, adding another millimeter of CPU clearance. On top of that the side panels have a 2 mm countersink on the inside covering the ventilated area for two purpose (see image further down):
1) Reduce turbulence
2) Create room for side filters

But with the L12 cooler this does not really matter, the fan sits another 23 mm further in which eliminates all potential turbulence.

Regarding the AIO fans, they sit underneath the radiator so no turbulence will be created from the top grill, the fans sit on a top plate with large openings and with a countersink that create space between the plate and fans, no turbulence has been experienced here either if the fans are set correctly.

On another note, we have tested to install the radiator without fans in the top, only using the bottom case fan to push air through the radiator and it seams to work good a well. My guess is that, over time, users will experiment with different configurations here and find even better solutions.

This is mainly for aesthetic reasons, still something we have a chance to change. Also interested to hear what others think.

PaChalski

Airflow Optimizer
Original poster
LOUQE
Mar 15, 2017
Just to confirm the L9 fits in the prototype, right? I wonder which cooler (L12 vs L9) gets the better temps...

Yes they both fit! Both perform great, but the L12 is performing slightly better as far as we have seen. There are so many configurations, orientations even that we can't say for sure.

Personally value noiselessness and in this short time of testing the L12 would be my choice, but since it looks like it will be discontinued in it's current version this might be a poor recommendation.

PaChalski

Airflow Optimizer
Original poster
LOUQE
Mar 15, 2017
So, with a blower gpu, cpu temps might get lower than the test results right?

Not sure, these temps are in my experience very low... probably lower than most blower GPUs in an open test bench!? Matching blower cards will easily reach 80 degrees Celsius in similar stress tests.

The test was performed with the GPU set to "Gaming" mode, so with some light OC

SeeFiFo

Average Stuffer
May 14, 2017
So, with a blower gpu, cpu temps might get lower than the test results right?

Probably yes, if having a cpu cooling radiator in a top hat with fans blowing air into the radiator from below. With a blower gpu cooler, most of its hot air should escape outside the case and not go through the cpu cooling radiator. How much of a difference it would actually make in practice is another question.

When using a regular air cpu cooler there shouldn't be any difference though.

Tibeardius

What's an ITX?
New User
Sep 19, 2017
Just to add my $.02. A polished aluminum or even a tumbled aluminum would look awesome. I'm torn between that and just black.

The USB ports and VR ports thing could be solved by making one of the top hats with a 3.5" front panel opening. I have one of these for all my front panel needs but if you needed VR then one of these could be installed. 3.5" panel slots are 1" tall(25.4mm) so that could possibly fit in a medium tophat.

They're really not pretty but they are functional. People who just have 1 or 2 USB items might appreciate some ports up front but this could work for the more needy of us.

Edit: The 3.5" slot could be recessed with a fold up/down cover to keep the aesthetics. Will the tophats be reversible? Then they could just be mounted backwards and the extra ports would be out of sight.

joey431

Minimal Tinkerer
Sep 19, 2017
After lurking for a while I would like to share a few thoughts on this case.

For me the most important thing is the portability of the case. Aesthetics are not important, but what is important is to not take away the functionality, like it was done with Dan Case where there is only 1 USB port in the front, even though the header on mobo can provide 2 USB ports. In that case it is best not to waste a USB port.

I will be using the case with the Silverstone fanless SFX-L power supply which will be released next year. That means there is no space to put in disk drives. Despite the assertion in this group that M.2 is the way the world is going, it is instructive to recall that one can go to 4tb with 2.5" SSD and higher with 2.5" HDD. Something currently lacking with M.2. To facilitate that I will be using a "M" sized tophat with 4 x 2.5" SSD (28mm in height) along with 2 x 120mm (25 mm height) fans. The total space taken by these 3 is 70mm + 120mm + 120mm =310mm, which comfortably fits in the "M" tophat of 28mm height and 315mm length but there must be provision to actually mount those things in a meaningful way. The top vent must also has holes that occupy 120mm in width. If that can be done then this case is almost exactly what I am looking for.

I say "almost" because ideally I would want to vent the airflow from the CPU cooler from the side panel that is directly in front of the mobo with a 120mm fan instead of venting it up to the top of the case. The side panel is the shortest path to vent the hot air as well as the fact that id does not require changing the direction of the air flow emanating from the CPU cooler.

PaChalski

Airflow Optimizer
Original poster
LOUQE
Mar 15, 2017
After lurking for a while I would like to share a few thoughts on this case.

For me the most important thing is the portability of the case. Aesthetics are not important, but what is important is to not take away the functionality, like it was done with Dan Case where there is only 1 USB port in the front, even though the header on mobo can provide 2 USB ports. In that case it is best not to waste a USB port.

Good point.
I will be using the case with the Silverstone fanless SFX-L power supply which will be released next year. That means there is no space to put in disk drives. Despite the assertion in this group that M.2 is the way the world is going, it is instructive to recall that one can go to 4tb with 2.5" SSD and higher with 2.5" HDD. Something currently lacking with M.2. To facilitate that I will be using a "M" sized tophat with 4 x 2.5" SSD (28mm in height) along with 2 x 120mm (25 mm height) fans. The total space taken by these 3 is 70mm + 120mm + 120mm =310mm, which comfortably fits in the "M" tophat of 28mm height and 315mm length

The semi passive SFX PSU we have been using are pretty impressive, but if you must have a fanless PSU then the Silverstone sure looks appealing. I need to correct you on one point, you will be able to fit ONE 2.5" drive with an SFX-L PSU - no problem, just loose the hdd tray.

4 SSDs!!! I'm not sure 4 will fit in the M-TopHat, 3 will. You could mount the HDD tray on top of the top plate and there is your SSD mounting.
but there must be provision to actually mount those things in a meaningful way. The top vent must also has holes that occupy 120mm in width. If that can be done then this case is almost exactly what I am looking for.

I'm not sure what you mean with "holes that occupy 120mm in width.". Both the top and the bottom plate have holes that
accommodate 120 mm components (fans, rads etc.)
I say "almost" because ideally I would want to vent the airflow from the CPU cooler from the side panel that is directly in front of the mobo with a 120mm fan instead of venting it up to the top of the case. The side panel is the shortest path to vent the hot air as well as the fact that id does not require changing the direction of the air flow emanating from the CPU cooler.

Could you please elaborate on this? I'm not sure I understand how you would have wanted the air flow to go.