Prototyping The world most flexible SFF case? LOUQE Ghost S1

Brude27

Cable-Tie Ninja
Jun 21, 2018
Is there any Ghost owners here who previously owned a Ncase M1 and regret downsizing to the Ghost? I want to be sure the Ghost is the right case for me before I spend a lot of money on one. I don't intend to custom water cool and if the Ghost is a more preferable size. Basically I'm torn between the two lol.
I moved from an Ncase M1 v5 into my Ghost S1, and both cases have their benefits. I had a dual 120mm AIO setup in my M1, and loved it except for the pump noise at idle. It performed really well, and looked great while doing it.

That said, it was my first time using AIOs, and I found that I much prefer air cooling due to the constant pump noise (I couldn’t adjust the RPMs with my H60, so it could be different using a better AIO).

I also wanted to go a little bit smaller than the M1... hence the move to the Ghost S1. I don’t like the way top hats look, as the base Ghost is truly a work of art, so it runs louder at load than the M1 did since I keep it top hat-less. I always wear headphones while gaming, so I don’t notice the extra noise at load. The benefit is a dead silent system while just browsing the internet, and not feeling the need to wear headphones while doing so like I had to while using the AIOs.

I think both cases look great, and feel like working in both cases is equally enjoyable, as both are incredibly well optimized, and very well engineered. I think the Ghost feels more premium due to thicker metals, but the Ncase still feels premium, and I actually prefer the finish on the M1 better than Louqe’s cheaper anodization. Basically, you can’t really go wrong with either, and need to base your choice off of what kind of system you want to build.

Reactions: Engr62

SFFanatic

Chassis Packer
Jun 4, 2019
I recently sold my Ghost S1 and purchased a Cerberus instead (would have considered the M1, but didn't want to wait for the next restock). I found the Ghost to just be a little louder and warmer than I would prefer while gaming (9600k cooled with an NH-L12 was fine, but my 2080 seemed to get pretty load and toasty). I definitely think it's a personal preference thing - the sound and temps weren't outrageous, just more than I like. The Cerberus is overkill (and I'm wasting liters for that privilege), but I appreciate the quiet and future flexibility.
No offence but that's really messed up. The Ghost is the most premium case that exists and people are dying to get their hands on one and you sell it for an inferior Cerberus that looks like poop in comparison and is almost so big it's not even a real SFF. What the hell man...

Actually, I went from the NCASE M1 to the Ghost S1, then back to the NCASE M1. I prefer air-cooling my CPU, so the Ghost S1 just didn't work for me. I really like the look of the Ghost S1--it's a fabulous case. But, it's just really difficult to air-cool CPUs that have a TDP higher than 65 W in these sandwich-style cases. Others seem to have fared better than I have in that regard.
Unless wanting a custom loop I can't understand this at all. The Ghost S1 is fine for air cooling. Did you not see this video?
My planned build is a 2080 and 3700x in a Ghost.

I also went from an Ncase M1 to a Ghost S1 and I'm loving it. Running an 8700k at 4.8 using a Big Shuriken 2 with a slim Noctua fan along with a RTX 2080ti with no issues. Loved my Ncase M1 but the clean look of Ghost S1 (Pangea) looks absolutely amazing. You can't go wrong with either one honestly. The size of the Ghost S1 is why I bought one.
Got any pictures of your build? I'm a fan of the Pangea style too and think that it's the one I may go with. Have you tried to fit a Big Shuriken 3 with a slim fan?

Engr62

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Jun 7, 2018
Unless wanting a custom loop I can't understand this at all. The Ghost S1 is fine for air cooling. Did you not see this video?
My planned build is a 2080 and 3700x in a Ghost.
Optimum Tech runs a delidded i7-8700K in his builds, so his temperatures are going to be 10 C or so lower than one gets with an i7-8700K that hasn't been delidded. I don't delid. Also, he has a Noctua NH-L12 in his build--good luck finding one of those for under $150--in fact, that's the reason I sold my Ghost S1. I just couldn't justify spending another $150 on the build. I tried using the Black Ridge CPU cooler, and my Ryzen 7 1800X (95 W TDP) would throttle (3.3 to 3.4 GHz at full load). As I said, you can air-cool a 65 W TDP CPU that hasn't been delidded in a sandwich style case--I had a Ryzen 7 1700 (65 W TDP) in a Dan Case A4-SFX with a Noctua NH-L9a that remained below 67 C at full load. Since you are getting the 3700X (65 W TDP), you should be fine.

My Ryzen 7 1800X is running in the NCASE M1 with a Noctua NH-D9L and never breaks 69 C while staying at 3.7 GHz under full load.

Since I do things (finite element analysis) other than gaming on my systems that will load the CPU to 100% for hours on end, I need it to run without throttling. And, since I travel with the computer by airplane, I need it to be air-cooled rather than water-cooled.

Reactions: NinoPecorino

promaty

Cable Smoosher
Jun 15, 2019
Optimum Tech runs a delidded i7-8700K in his builds, so his temperatures are going to be 10 C or so lower than one gets with an i7-8700K that hasn't been delidded. I don't delid. Also, he has a Noctua NH-L12 in his build--good luck finding one of those for under $150--in fact, that's the reason I sold my Ghost S1. I just couldn't justify spending another $150 on the build. I tried using the Black Ridge CPU cooler, and my Ryzen 7 1800X (95 W TDP) would throttle (3.3 to 3.4 GHz at full load). As I said, you can air-cool a 65 W TDP CPU that hasn't been delidded in a sandwich style case--I had a Ryzen 7 1700 (65 W TDP) in a Dan Case A4-SFX with a Noctua NH-L9a that remained below 67 C at full load. Since you are getting the 3700X (65 W TDP), you should be fine.

My Ryzen 7 1800X is running in the NCASE M1 with a Noctua NH-D9L and never breaks 69 C while staying at 3.7 GHz under full load.

Since I do things (finite element analysis) other than gaming on my systems that will load the CPU to 100% for hours on end, I need it to run without throttling. And, since I travel with the computer by airplane, I need it to be air-cooled rather than water-cooled.
Take a look at these tests by LOUQE themselves, there are plenty of coolers which can cool 8700K without issues: https://www.louqe.com/files/heatsink_test_ghost_s1_MkII.pdf
L12 is not the only cooler in existence. Also no delid required. Also you can buy 9th gen K CPUs which are soldered and have better thermals.

rfarmer

SFF Guru
Silver Supporter
Jul 7, 2017
If you are using Intel the Scythe Big Shuriken 2 works very well, Louge's own tests show it slightly better than the Noctua. Stock fan is loud at load but you could use a slim Noctua or like I did and use a Prolimatech 140mm slim fan. I used it previously on my delidded 8700k in a MI-6 (similar cooler restrictions) and kept it under 75C at load.

I am currently using a Ghost S1 and previously had a Ncase M1 and there are pros and cons to both. I think the Ghost, without tophats, is one of the best looking cases made. I have mine watercooled and using a large tophat and still looks good, just not as good. I think the Ncase has a timeless ,minimalist design. Air cooling is better in the Ncase but GPU cooling has been challenging in previous versions. The v6 is getting additional ventilation for the GPU and should be better.

You might want to take a look at this video from @optimumtech, he compares several itx cases including the Ghost and Ncase.

Reactions: NinoPecorino

Jojo

Average Stuffer
Oct 28, 2018
I don't have my Ghost build done yet. What I can say thus far, using the tophats to create a custom water cooled system is a fun project. Using two Hardware Labs radiators there is still room to make a custom reservoir. Yes, my Ghost will be taller than just the basic chassis, but that is what I wanted. I enjoy making water cooled builds. It is still going to fit in the SFF genre and is going to immensely smaller that my CaseLabs (a sad sad day when they closed - :( ) Merlin ST10 sitting atop two pedestals filled with radiators.
I ended up with this tower.
1x 30mm radiator + 1x 25mm fan, 1x 60mm rad + 2x 25mm fan and pump/res combo
Really love the flexibility.

Last edited:
  • Wow
Reactions: D10S

SFFanatic

Chassis Packer
Jun 4, 2019
Also, he has a Noctua NH-L12 in his build--good luck finding one of those for under $150--in fact, that's the reason I sold my Ghost S1. I just couldn't justify spending another $150 on the build.
What's wrong with a Noctua NH L12S ?
That's suppose to be the Successor so i assume it would be either same performance or an improvement?

sffjawsh

Efficiency Noob
May 4, 2019
What's wrong with a Noctua NH L12S ?
That's suppose to be the Successor so i assume it would be either same performance or an improvement?
NH-L12S doesn't fit the Louqe S1. It is agonisingly a bit too tall for it! You can bend the heatpipes and it does seem like it is easy enough, but not everyone wants to/is comfortable doing that. The old NH-L12 fits just fine but as @Engr62 pointed out, they're OOS almost everywhere.

Reactions: Engr62

promaty

Cable Smoosher
Jun 15, 2019
Interesting that Dan A4 with the new Asetek 645LT AIO beats every Ghost air cooler while being smaller.

Questors

Trash Compacter
Oct 28, 2018
How high can we build? Can't wait for someone to stack 10 Ghost cases up to the ceiling
That sounds like sarcasm to me. :p Some of us (by us I mean ME :cool: ) are stacking a bit with the tophats in order to achieve what we want to build. Of course aesthetics are in the eye of beholder. For me coming down in size from my elsewhere mentioned CaseLabs Merlin ST10 atop two pedestals to a Ghost (even with tophats) is an exercise in tiny.

Last edited:

SFFanatic

Chassis Packer
Jun 4, 2019
Does anyone know which has the most motherboard IO clearance for the Ghost S1 out of the Noctua NH-L12 and Scythe Big Shuriken 2 Rev.B ?

I'm slightly concerned about compatibility issues for air coolingdue to the rather large IO shields of the new x570 ITX motherboards:

Asrock x570 phantom gaming itx tb3

ROG Strix X570-I Gaming

Last edited:

Questors

Trash Compacter
Oct 28, 2018
Does anyone know which has the most motherboard IO clearance for the Ghost S1 out of the Noctua NH-L12 and Scythe Big Shuriken 2 Rev.B ?

I'm slightly concerned about compatibility issues for air coolingdue to the rather large IO shields of the new x570 ITX motherboards:
Asrock x570 phantom gaming itx tb3

ROG Strix X570-I Gaming

This looks to have great clearances all around.
Gigabyte Aorus X570 I Pro WiFi

Something consider, If the actual measurements of the board are known, one may be able to calculate the distances and heights by measuring the picture and calculating a scale. I suppose it's worth wishing good luck with finding height measurements, but distances should be doable.

Last edited:

quetzacoatlx

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Aug 11, 2017
I wish that ghost was available in say 3 different sizes rather than top hats. The case would look so much better without those gaps.
Agreed. S1 looks amazing without a top head, OK with the small TOP head, but ugly with the large one.

For S1 with the large top head, the switch position is too low, and the vents on the side panels lost their symmetry. The case doesn’t look like a unified one piece of work but two separate parts stitched together.

Rmorrison

Average Stuffer
May 30, 2019
I don't know. Three sizes would be nice and all but I saw a silver Ghost with a small tophat on bottom and a larger tophat on top. Both tophats were in black and it looked so sweet. If the ghost fit a 3 slot gpu I would buy it hands down.

Questors

Trash Compacter
Oct 28, 2018
I wish that ghost was available in say 3 different sizes rather than top hats. The case would look so much better without those gaps.
I actually asked the Louqe team about this last year. Making different sizes like mini-ITX, mDTX and micro ATX. They said it would be too expensive. So cost is the prohibiting factor. This is why tophats are available.