The space inefficiency thread

ChainedHope

Airflow Optimizer
Jun 5, 2016
Heh, it does.

And I guess I'll do the same offer I did when the Manta came out: if anyone mods a microATX board into the Antec-Razer Cube within a month of its release, I'll give you $50 :)

I'll do it, if the case doesn't cost too much lol. Someone PM me and remind me when the case comes to market.

On a side note: Looks like lenovo is also releasing a mITX "cube" prebuilt that comes in at a whopping 31.2L named the Lenovo IdeaCentre Y710. Just happened to see it while scrolling guru3d

Last edited:

Phuncz

Lord of the Boards
SFFn Staff
May 9, 2015
It's funny that they just turn the case 90° and tell you that that is the front of the case. Genious !
Oh no wait, it's just Marketing tripping on acid and selling us a case with side I/O and a hole for cable exit.

Last edited:

Phuncz

Lord of the Boards
SFFn Staff
May 9, 2015
I thnk we are used to working in spaces about the size of the open areas in in the PSU/storage section. That thing could house my NAS, ESXi host, test PC and my personal PC and I'd still have space left.

ChainedHope

Airflow Optimizer
Jun 5, 2016
LMAO... in the video they say they wanted to make a "portable" case.
Pretty sure this thing is in no way portable. They should have at least mounted a monitor to the lid.

CC Ricers

Shrink Ray Wielder
Bronze Supporter
Nov 1, 2015
Eh if it had at least a 24 inch monitor on the lid, I'd still have problems using it. The monitor would be raised too high using that case. Now if it were briefcase size it would be a nice idea and be not unlike those portable rugged workstations.

Kmpkt

Innovation through Miniaturization
KMPKT
Feb 1, 2016
Eh if it had at least a 24 inch monitor on the lid, I'd still have problems using it. The monitor would be raised too high using that case. Now if it were briefcase size it would be a nice idea and be not unlike those portable rugged workstations.

http://www.pelican.com/us/en/product/watertight-protector-hard-cases/medium-case/air-case/1555/

+

http://www.samsung.com/us/computing/monitors/led/samsung-22-led-monitor-ls22f350fhnxza/

Can almost but not quite fit a 24" in the top of the case unfortunately.

Reactions: owliwar

CC Ricers

Shrink Ray Wielder
Bronze Supporter
Nov 1, 2015
Yes, I was thinking something along the lines of those Pelican cases.

I'm also thinking of PCs that are built inside more sturdy cases, such as flight-approved cases made for DJs or other A/V equipment. A friend of mine had plans of installing a portable PC setup in one of those flight cases to use with his DJ equipment. Still hasn't had time to make it yet.

Kmpkt

Innovation through Miniaturization
KMPKT
Feb 1, 2016
The nice thing about the Pelican Air cases is they are really light. I've actually thought about getting a quick release VESA mount and attaching it to the outer case so that when you get to where you're going you can unpack your system and use the case as a base for the monitor. Would be a pretty slick arrangement IMO.

confusis

John Morrison. Founder and Team Leader of SFF.N
SFF Network
SFF Workshop
SFFn Staff
Jun 19, 2015
sff.network
After buying yet another mobo this week, I present to you, the HP 110-014.

Wait.. isn't that just a standard HP M-ATX box?

Where's the PSU?... the expansion slots aren't punched out either!?!

Ohhhhhhhhhh...

Specs:
M-ITX, AMD E1-1500, DDR3, HD7310 IGP. Not a bad little mobo (I plan on using it for a HTPC) though :D