The space inefficiency thread

iFreilicht

FlexATX Authority
Feb 28, 2015
freilite.com
Well, at least he filled the ATX case made for watercooling with an ATX board and PSU and two big radiators. That seems like an absolutely valid build to me, no matter how little SFF it is.

Soul_Est

SFF Guru
SFFn Staff
Feb 12, 2016
Well, at least he filled the ATX case made for watercooling with an ATX board and PSU and two big radiators. That seems like an absolutely valid build to me, no matter how little SFF it is.
While valid given the size of the radiators and reservoir, I do believe that it have been shrunk a bit and still maintain a dual radiator water-cooling system. Possibly down to Micro-ATX or even Mini-ITX with the use of different components.

CC Ricers

Shrink Ray Wielder
Bronze Supporter
Nov 1, 2015
This is a fun thread.

I think that last PCPP is pretty solid too. The watercooling res and radiators fill the case out fairly well.

If I can think of one build that was a big waste of space, it has to be one in particular from the AwesomeHardware weekly podcast. In their pimp my PC section someone submitted a photo of a ATX build in a some Caselabs case. There was sooo much empty space in there, and most of the viewers agreed. Video is below. If the time stamp doesn't work go to 1:01:47. To quote one of the hosts, DAMN that is an empty case.

Most people reached the conclusion that he ran out of money halfway through building the computer and used most of his budget on the CL case.

Last edited:

IntoxicatedPuma

Customizer of Titles
SFFn Staff
Feb 26, 2016
Some cases are kind of annoying because of their choice in layout. I made a build in a xigmatek Nebula, it has a lot of space in the front to route cables but I think too much. Some simple cable management would make it a non-issue. I was able to cram a closed loop cooler by using a 15mm thick Silverstone fan on an H55 and using an SFX power supply. If they'd just used SFX in the first place they'd have added a lot of room for air coolers and they could also have moved the HDD cage towards the front to give room for push/pull closed loop coolers. I guess someone decided to use only ATX power supply which would block any radiators from fitting on the rear 120mm fan so they didn't consider the idea :(

Soul_Est

SFF Guru
SFFn Staff
Feb 12, 2016
Um. Wow.

I have no words for that except the above.

Last edited:

Soul_Est

SFF Guru
SFFn Staff
Feb 12, 2016
It is but in the industrial sector. It looks like Mini-STX may be able to assume its role in the consumer sector, maybe.

As a followup to this, I received this reply to my inquiry:

thebrave said:
I agree that I could have built a smaller form factor system. This was just a simple build that will end up going under a desk. If the user needs a graphics card or more storage down the road, it will be simple to add.

Got to remember that I am using BB code and not Markdown.

Last edited:

Phuncz

Lord of the Boards
SFFn Staff
May 9, 2015
Another prime example of inefficiency:

So that's an NZXT H440 I believe, a 57 liter case. With an ATX motherboard (B150 chipset) for one short AMD Radeon Fury X GPU, 4x 4GB of DDR4 RAM (biggest long-term waste), an Intel i5-6500 with stock cooler (!), a 550W mediocre PSU (so no second Fury X for him), one 3,5" HDD and one 2,5" SSD. That's 60's muscle car inefficiency right there. I like the case design (of the front, not visible), but it could be about 2/3rd smaller and still fit everything comfortably.

Mind you that I don't look down upon people that have these mostly empty cases, but I wish people wouldn't default to huge cases just because.

CC Ricers

Shrink Ray Wielder
Bronze Supporter
Nov 1, 2015
Hey, it kind of looks like a Tie Fighter in the exploded view! XD

The only market I see for "maxi ITX" cases (as I call them) is for people that want to go smaller, but don't have the budget to downsize all of their parts, so swapping their case might be the more affordable option as an interim.

Last edited:

jeshikat

Jessica. Wayward SFF.n Founder
Original poster
Silver Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
Heh, it does.

And I guess I'll do the same offer I did when the Manta came out: if anyone mods a microATX board into the Antec-Razer Cube within a month of its release, I'll give you $50 :)

Phuncz

Lord of the Boards
SFFn Staff
May 9, 2015
Heh, it does.

And I guess I'll do the same offer I did when the Manta came out: if anyone mods a microATX board into the Antec-Razer Cube within a month of its release, I'll give you $50 :)
Challenge acc... No I'm going to stop for a while making cases for hardware I don't have.

I like the design, wish it was 20L or less.