The space inefficiency thread

jtd871

SFF Guru
Jun 22, 2015
Maybe they don't want grownups (who tend to have the lion's share of the disposable income in most of the households that I'm familiar with) to buy them?

Kmpkt

Innovation through Miniaturization
KMPKT
Feb 1, 2016
This is pretty typical of gaming companies and I still don't get it. I can't help but feel a lot of the marketing is designed in China for the Chinese market on these things. They would really do well to hire a western company to help them rebrand and market for the European and North American markets, since I don't think this type of aesthetic or branding resonates with consumers in this part of the world. I don't care how well the unit works or how cheap it is compared to competitors, there's no way that thing is sitting anywhere near my desk.

Reactions: Soul_Est and K888D

Soul_Est

SFF Guru
SFFn Staff
Feb 12, 2016
This is pretty typical of gaming companies and I still don't get it. I can't help but feel a lot of the marketing is designed in China for the Chinese market on these things. They would really do well to hire a western company to help them rebrand and market for the European and North American markets, since I don't think this type of aesthetic or branding resonates with consumers in this part of the world. I don't care how well the unit works or how cheap it is compared to competitors, there's no way that thing is sitting anywhere near my desk.
That is the unfortunate fact for much of North America. I ask many of my friends why they chose the case they did. Their answers fell in the realm of "It {looked good, was easy to build, has space for extra components, etc.}.". Only a few people ever filled out their cases (water cooling). The other issue I have is the "need" for water cooling which is why many of these cases are so large. If they truly focused on great airflow, quiet operation, and small size, things would be different. Only a few cases get that right however.

CC Ricers

Shrink Ray Wielder
Bronze Supporter
Nov 1, 2015
The Devil Box looks ripe for modding to support a full system in there, but not for $375.

Phuncz

Lord of the Boards
SFFn Staff
May 9, 2015
Yeah that 3 should have been a 1 and that would still be quite expensive for what you're getting. Even if the PSU was 80+ Platinum (is it known what it's rated at yet ?), it would still not be worth it. You can get an Ncase M1 or a DAN A4-SFX and some build starting money for a much more compact PC instead of an add-on box.

Necere

Shrink Ray Wielder
NCASE
Feb 22, 2015
Yeah that 3 should have been a 1 and that would still be quite expensive for what you're getting. Even if the PSU was 80+ Platinum (is it known what it's rated at yet ?), it would still not be worth it. You can get an Ncase M1 or a DAN A4-SFX and some build starting money for a much more compact PC instead of an add-on box.
Well, let's not forget the custom Thunderbolt -> PCIe + USB 3.0 board. That alone probably accounts for a third to half the cost. This is basically an uglier Razer Core, and that's $500.

Reactions: Soul_Est and MJVR1

CC Ricers

Shrink Ray Wielder
Bronze Supporter
Nov 1, 2015
Don't forget support for nine 3.5" hard drives, because who wouldn't buy a gaming PC without having this many hard drives? :p

Soul_Est

SFF Guru
SFFn Staff
Feb 12, 2016
THIS

Which I found here: http://ca.pcpartpicker.com/b/xXXH99