Cooling The Scythe Big Shuriken 3. Big performance at a small price.

3lfk1ng

King of Cable Management
Original poster
SFFn Staff
Bronze Supporter
Jun 3, 2016
www.reihengaming.com
Huge thanks to Scythe for sending us a review sample of their new Big Shuriken 3 heatsink. Please let us know your thoughts below!

Scythe, the heavy hitting underdog of the HSF world, has once again hit us with another surprise entry into the SFF market with their Big Shuriken 3. At just 70mm tall, it will be interesting to see how this cooler compares to the competition.

Read the review here.

rfarmer

Spatial Philosopher
Jul 7, 2017
Nice review, wish the BS3 was just a bit shorter. What are you thoughts on noise levels between the Scythe and Noctua fans.

Quango

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Apr 6, 2019
I wonder if they fit under the expansion cover of the inter-tech M-ITX cases (with the HDD mountings removed):

(scroll down)

3lfk1ng

King of Cable Management
Original poster
SFFn Staff
Bronze Supporter
Jun 3, 2016
www.reihengaming.com
To really test the fan noise, I will need to test these outside my wife's computer.
Those 2x Corsair PWM fans are loud AF and ruin the ability to collect accurate fluctuations in dB.

Maybe I can acquire a USB to Molex cable to connect to my old Lamptron FC5 V2 so I can test the dB levels at various RPM rates... ?

Thehack

Spatial Philosopher
Creator
Mar 6, 2016
J-hackcompany.com
If you have a quiet room, you can test the fan just by itself (or on the heatsink) and measure it that way.

You don't have to worry about running it inside the computer or anything.

KepKe

Average Stuffer
Mar 20, 2017
How did you get a 120mm fan under the NH-L12? I thought RAM and I/O limit the under side to 92mm.

T_Tank

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Mar 16, 2017
Curious to see how the bs3 fits on a am4 motherboard to see where it sits if we'll have issues with x570 itx boards

marvel.marv

Caliper Novice
Apr 24, 2018
I'd say that the review, not testing against L12s, which I think is 70mm too, is kind of invalid... And the beige argument? The fan at 70mm is hidden underneath, barely visible...

Thehack

Spatial Philosopher
Creator
Mar 6, 2016
J-hackcompany.com

Hey guys. The Big Shuriken 3 is great cooler. Got a chance to unbox and take some measurements.

A special note: the screw size is M3.5. Should be the standard thread pitch (I'll confirm later). At one point I measured the fan + screw to be at 18mm. So if you use a flat head type instead of pan head, you can reduce the height by 2mm.

I also found that by using a slimmer fan, you can fit it in some very small cases. So a 14mm flat head M3.5 + 12-13mm slim fan you can fit inside the Ghost S1 series for example. The stock fan is actually about 16mm due to the rubber inserts.

Hope this helps you guys build!

Ca11idus

Average Stuffer
Feb 13, 2017
www.heatware.com

Hey guys. The Big Shuriken 3 is great cooler. Got a chance to unbox and take some measurements.

A special note: the screw size is M3.5. Should be the standard thread pitch (I'll confirm later). At one point I measured the fan + screw to be at 18mm. So if you use a flat head type instead of pan head, you can reduce the height by 2mm.

I also found that by using a slimmer fan, you can fit it in some very small cases. So a 14mm flat head M3.5 + 12-13mm slim fan you can fit inside the Ghost S1 series for example. The stock fan is actually about 16mm due to the rubber inserts.

Hope this helps you guys build!

Now temperature results with those three fans!

Reactions: KepKe

T_Tank

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Mar 16, 2017
So I got a bs3 on Sunday and I missed that it needs the stock backplate for am4... Unfortunately I couldn't find mine but luckily you can use the Intel screws and nuts if you are like me and had to do the noctua backplate mod for my bs2.

So far temps are a good bit cooler than the older bs2 and I'm still using my noctua industrial 120mm pwm sucking air through the heatsink and exhausting against the glass in my Enermax steel wing case.

Power supply is externally mounted and the stock wraith spire is adapted to the cable pass through with a printed duct but besides that I'm enjoying the performance

miptzi

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Oct 20, 2017
i'm torn between the bs3 and pallas120..

Both seems to perform the same, cost the same, but the pallas is ahead in aesthesics IMO,