The Photography/Camera thread

ZA Design

Trash Compacter
Sep 7, 2016
Do you find yourself missing the IBIS of the E-M5? To me that helps a lot to redeem the 4/3 sensor poor low light.
From time to time, yes. Quite a lot actually. But if I can shoot at higher ISO and with faster lenses, I can make do.

Besides, the the fuji lenses that contain OIS have great stabilization, probably the best OIS of any brand.

For me, I mostly wanted great performance in sharpness and low light terms, in a relatively small body. It's rare that I find myself shooting in very low light anyway and even then the high iso performance can help a lot.

Besides, the great video is a whole reason to switch from the E-M5. I know olympus has the E-M1 ii with 4k, but that's absurdly expensive, not the best at high iso, and has rubbish video focus tracking. Yeah, sure, for sports photography I'm sure it's great with its insane burst speed and it has stupidly good stabilization, but it's not an incredible all rounder like the X-T2. That's why the X-T2 is the highest recommended mirrorless (that's not a full frame a la a7r ii) on practically every camera review site, beating the a6500 in most cases even though the a6500 has 5 axis ibis like the OMD series and a similar sensor quality. Why? Because the fuji is a joy to use, feels like it was designed by a film user, not a computer. Fuji system lenses are certainly the best of any system when it comes to quality, both image and build. As a whole camera and lens system, it is very very polished. It's just great to use. That's why I chose it. Realistically, I want the ultimate megapixel count, ibis, crazy low light monster with 4k that is the a7r ii, but as a camera, it is so soulless and bland. Sure if you work in a studio and demand uncompromising quality and have no understanding of the word fun, you would choose the a7r ii, but for me, I think I made the right choice going with the X-T2. Photography for me is about fun and enjoyment, and I know that if I took the Sony, I would regret it, cause it's just not my style.

Besides, for any studio shooters, that new fuji medium format GFX 50S looks incredible.

Sorry for going off on a tangent, felt like having a rant after a terrible day at school.

I swear I'm not on Fuji's payroll XD

Reactions: IntoxicatedPuma

IntoxicatedPuma

Customizer of Titles
Original poster
SFFn Staff
Feb 26, 2016
The E-M1 ii video is pretty lousy from what I've seen so far (even the 4k is soft). I like Olympus alot, but I like Panasonic alot more. I don't see how Olympus and Panasonic can justify their new flagships with the performance of the G80/G85 or E-M5 ii. If the Autofocus in stills is Nikon pro DSLR level, then it makes sense. But it seems olympus will only support the new features on its Pro lenses which are crazy expensive. Panasonic at least offers DFD AF on all of its lenses.

The only thing I can think is the software support for 2 years is included, like the GH4 and E-M1 (2013) - i really appreciated that.

About the Fuji medium format......yeah i want that bad too.

confusis

John Morrison. Founder and Team Leader of SFF.N
SFF Network
SFF Workshop
SFFn Staff
Jun 19, 2015
sff.network

Just messing around with lightroom. My daughter loves posing..lol!

Harder to get him to stay still though.

Last edited:
Reactions: Phuncz

onlyabloke

Cable-Tie Ninja
Jul 22, 2016
pcpartpicker.com
Been in a rut with photography lately. I think it's been about three months since I picked up my camera. Started going through old photos lately, reediting ones I felt I could do better and ones I haven't tried editing yet.

Also decided to switch from Lightroom to Photoshop. Lightroom has just been way too slow for my liking.

Saudsvartur

Cable Smoosher
May 22, 2018
Any Nikon users tempted by the current deals on the D750? I’m using a D5100 with the DX 35mm f1.8 and DX 18-105mm and have been looking at going FF for some time now (hence the lack of additional lenses).

confusis

SFF Network
SFF Workshop
SFFn Staff
Jun 19, 2015
sff.network
I'm looking at replacing my Canon 60D (with 24mm prime, 50mm prime, 35-80 zoom and a random sigma lens) with a mirrorless, as well as to dabble w/ 4k. My options are;

Panasonic Lumix DMC-G7 w/ 14-42 F3.5-5.6
Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark III w/ 14-42 F3.5-5.6
Canon M50 w/ 15-45 w/ F3.5-6.3

All three sit around the NZ$1k price.

Reason for upgrade: My 60D's video sucks, as well as various issues I was having with it at Computex (AF glitching, crashes, auto exposure glitching).

Thoughts?

3lfk1ng

King of Cable Management
SFFn Staff
Bronze Supporter
Jun 3, 2016
www.reihengaming.com
If you don't absolutely need a DSLR or perhaps you could use a cellphone upgrade, I recommend the Google Pixel 2 XL.
I've nearly ceased using our Sony a6500 as the image and video quality is comparable without having to lug around a camera, lenses, cards, charges, batteries, case/bag, etc etc.

In fact, the image stabilization of the Pixel 2 XL and even low light pictures put it to shame imo. Google really did an amazing job.

No edits, alterations, or filters.

Last edited:

owliwar

Master of Cramming
Lazer3D
Apr 7, 2017
damm, those pixel 2 shots are amazing ._.

I guess mirrorless is the sff equivalent of professional cameras haha
unfortunately I have no info on these models. does one of these have switchable lenses? I know some that have and I think that, coming from dslr its something I would miss but I guess it really depends on what kind of pictures you want to take.
for products and such 50mm to 70mm is usually what I aim for but thats me.

how old or new are these models? recent sensors have been very good, and with much better with low light. that would come in handy for those event quick pictures, less blurry photos overall

3lfk1ng

King of Cable Management
SFFn Staff
Bronze Supporter
Jun 3, 2016
www.reihengaming.com
The Sony a6500 (24.2MP, ISO 51.200) we have is a mirrorless with swappable lenses. It works with all E mount lenses.
We purchased it at the end of 2016 so it's still pretty new.

It's still a fantastic camera but I would be lying if I didn't say that I am hard pressed to justify the cost to performance ratio vs my phone.
I trade off between the two for our review and event coverage but the benefits weigh heavily in favor for the Pixel 2 XL imo.

IntoxicatedPuma

Customizer of Titles
Original poster
SFFn Staff
Feb 26, 2016
I would suggest the G7 over the E-M10 as its more focused on video features. The M50 won't give you 4K but will give you 1080p and Dual Pixel AF which means you won't need to worry about AF performance. However I'd also backup 3lfk1ng in saying that a phone can do most of what you want. Get a DJI Osmo or Zhiyun Smooth Q and you can get some great shots when walking about as well. AF is usually extremely good on most new phones as well. You'd be better suited with a Phone + accessories and get better end results.
example: (US prices)
2 studio light boxes and stands ($50)
backdrop ($30)
key lighting ($40)
image stabilizer if doing walk around video ($100)
decent video phone ($300-500)

Soul_Est

SFF Guru
SFFn Staff
Feb 12, 2016
I'm looking at replacing my Canon 60D (with 24mm prime, 50mm prime, 35-80 zoom and a random sigma lens) with a mirrorless, as well as to dabble w/ 4k. My options are;

Reason for upgrade: My 60D's video sucks, as well as various issues I was having with it at Computex (AF glitching, crashes, auto exposure glitching).

Thoughts?
Either The Panasonic or the Olympus get my vote. Ming Thein uses Olympus OM-D E-M1 bodies to get effect for shooting his training videos. This is because of their IBIS stabilization. Panasonics tend to be more video focused IMO.

confusis

SFF Network
SFF Workshop
SFFn Staff
Jun 19, 2015
sff.network
Thanks for the inputs. This is a medium-long term goal (got other things to fund first!).

@owlilar - all these cameras have interchangeable lenses
@IntoxicatedPuma The M50 does 4k!
@3lfk1ng I just moved to a Nokia 6 - a mobile upgrade isn't on the cards for at least a year :/

Reactions: owliwar

IntoxicatedPuma

Customizer of Titles
Original poster
SFFn Staff
Feb 26, 2016
The M50 has 4k but it doesn't have Dual Pixel AF in 4k, which is a major drawback considering the strength of that camera is it's AF system. As a result the G7 might be a better choice if you require 4k.

I'm going to repeat again that 3lfk1ng is right about using a phone instead. This has nothing to do with it being a phone, this is about the camera and the OS on that phone. Unless Sony is going to release an Android version of the RX100 series, these phones have huge advantages over traditional cameras when you consider their capabilities with accessories. Even without the accessories, they're very compelling for 4k and great video AF.

SashaLag

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Jun 10, 2018

Thoughts?

Fujifilm X-T20? Doesn't have in body stabilization so it has to rely on in lens stabilization... But to me, Fujifilm has the best line-up for mid to high end lenses developped having in mind to be put on a mirrorless APS-C body... Plus, that X-T20 has the same sensor as its bigger brother, the X-T2. They both shot 4K video but as far as I know the X-T2 downscales to 4K while the X-T20 do line skipping read-out from sensor to have a 4K stream. Just a bit less quality for video, but the same for photo shooting. Autofocus is really good here as for the 18-55 2.8-4 kit lens they come with.

Based only on the three you listed, I would pick up the Panasonic one... I already have a Panasonic HC-X900 (a videocamera) and their in body stabilization is fantastic... If you don't mind a 4/3 sensor (low light noise, bokeh etc) and a less well tought line-up of lenses (just my opinion here) go for it!

Canon M-50 would be my last pick, if anything else can't be choosen. Great camera, but lens line-up sucks... Plus, to me, Fujifilm it's better in autofocus area...

Last edited:

stree

Airflow Optimizer
Dec 10, 2016
I use Sony A6000, apart from E mount lenses I use pentax adaptors to use old an good prime lenses ( cheap) and C mount for CCTV lns ( great effects) keeps it cheap, flexible and fun

confusis

SFF Network
SFF Workshop
SFFn Staff
Jun 19, 2015
sff.network
I bit the bullet and went with...

An image stabilisation lens and a video mic for my Canon 60D. Much cheaper and I really should learn video before dropping a grand on a new camera!

Reactions: owliwar