The Photography/Camera thread

jeshikat

Jessica. Wayward SFF.n Founder
Silver Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
Nice, my sister got the 18-55mm for video when she wants something more portable with autofocus when the Sigma 18-35mm wouldn't be suitable, but even the kit 16-50mm is a great lens considering how small and inexpensive it is.

And Mitutoyo! You're a man who knows his calipers :D

Arboreal

King of Cable Management
Silver Supporter
Oct 11, 2015
A bit of good fortune yesterday, I was talking to a friend who let me borrow his Fuji X-E1 with 35/1.4 lens that was lounging on a shelf.
'What do you want with that old thing?'
To test the Fuji system for FREE!
It's pretty good, but a bit sluggish as expected and not as small and neat as the NEX.
Just spotted it's rocking firmware 1.04... Will ask if I can bump it up to 2.61 and see what benefits we get!
Couldn't have asked for better, other than an 18mm f2 on it!

IntoxicatedPuma

Customizer of Titles
Original poster
SFFn Staff
Feb 26, 2016
Bought my girlfriend a silver E-M5 ii yesterday (paid 4700 for body only). We had been looking at it for about a year and were also waiting to see if the Pen-F would drop in price. It didn't, and the performance doesn't seem any better anyways, so we bought the E-M5 ii. Currently she is using the Zhongyi 25mm f/0.95 lens but I think she wants to go back to an AF lens, so we may be getting the Oly 25 1.8 again.

I also checked out the Panasonic GX85, the price is pretty low (3600 rmb) and performance is good. IBIS wasn't quite to Oly standards but better than the Sony A6500. EVF also wasn't great but as long as it works acceptably I'm ok with that. I think it will be my replacement for my E-M1.

Reactions: Soul_Est

bledha

Airflow Optimizer
Feb 22, 2017
I shot most of my pictures not related to documenting casemods or hardware with a Canon Powershot G10 which was remarkably good for it's size:

My main travel/street shooter is a 600D (T3i) with 18-135mm and the oh so accessible nifty fifty (which I love) - but I gotta say: the Canon Powershot G10 was my favorite of the G series for carrying around as a quick backup or little camera to just grab (AKA, my fav SFF high-power camera at the time). I bought the G12, and even though it had the swivel screen, better resolution, and little faster shutter - the tank build quality and deep colors of the G10 I miss to this day.

Reactions: Soul_Est and Phuncz

Phuncz

Lord of the Boards
SFFn Staff
May 9, 2015
Excellent photos and they seem to be wonderful kids ! When will they be joining the writing staff ?

Reactions: confusis

confusis

John Morrison. Founder and Team Leader of SFF.N
SFF Network
SFF Workshop
SFFn Staff
Jun 19, 2015
sff.network
Well they are SFF versions of me.. lol. It's for them that I am building SFFn and related stuffs. When everything becomes big enough that I can quit my day job, it means I can spend more time with them.

jeshikat

Silver Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
While my T2i has served me well, I need something less bulky for my trip so I got myself a used Sony a6000:

And it's crazy how the Sony is packing 24MP in such a small frame vs 16MP in the Canon.

Lens is a Rokinon 35mm f/1.2, which should deliver some delicious bokeh. Plus it has super low distortion so it'll make for a good product photography lens. It's manual focus though so luckily the a6000 has focus peaking.

Reactions: Phuncz and confusis

ZA Design

Trash Compacter
Sep 7, 2016
Just got myself a Fuji X-T2 and am over the moon with it. Kit lens (18-55 f2.8-4) and, what imaging resource states as the sharpest lens ever, the 90mm f2. 4k and all, I'm kinda amazed at this little monster. Fast focus, stupid sharp sensor, great in the dark. Couldn't be happier. I'm actually absurdly hyped. Anyone down for some image samples?

IntoxicatedPuma

Customizer of Titles
Original poster
SFFn Staff
Feb 26, 2016
My coworker has an X-T1, the controls on the camera are great but it didn't feel quite as good to hold as the Olympus E-M1. Still like the camera ALOT. Image samples sound good, lets see that X-Trans!!!

jeshikat

Silver Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
Before I decided either was way out of my budget, I was torn between the A7S II and the XT-2, I'd be curious to see how it does in low light.

IntoxicatedPuma

Customizer of Titles
Original poster
SFFn Staff
Feb 26, 2016
I guess the XT-2 won't do nearly as well. The A7s ii is designed for low light, much much larger pixels.

jeshikat

Silver Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
Oh I don't expect it to match the Sony's beastly low-light performance, I'm just curious if it's capable since the a7S II has such a low megapixel count. Though maybe the a7S III will fix that issue.

ZA Design

Trash Compacter
Sep 7, 2016
Well, coming from an EM-5 low light performance is a vast improvement, that's for sure. It's also way more fun to use, which is a plus!

But no, it doesn't even come close to the a7s ii in low light, that thing has half the pixels plus double the sensor size, leading to around 4 times larger individual pixels? Didn't expect it to compete. But hey at least the 4k, in decent light, is sharper and better coloured than the a7s's!

IntoxicatedPuma

Customizer of Titles
Original poster
SFFn Staff
Feb 26, 2016
Do you find yourself missing the IBIS of the E-M5? To me that helps a lot to redeem the 4/3 sensor poor low light.