The Photography/Camera thread

confusis

John Morrison. Founder and Team Leader of SFF.N
SFF Network
SFF Workshop
SFFn Staff
Jun 19, 2015
sff.network
Boya BY-MM1. $25 cheaper than the Rode VideoMicro, but reviews around the same as to sound quality

comagoosie

sff is life
May 8, 2018
What's everyone workflow like? I just picked up a Canon 80D and a couple lenses (for someone special) and was curious on how people managed their photos / videos?

• Do you shoot exclusively in RAW, jpeg, or both?
  • When transferring to your computer, are photos automatically organized in some way (such as folders by date taken)
  • Do you backup originals? (If so, what about ALL originals, or do you slim down to only select originals)
  • Do you have a separate space for photos that are uploaded to internet to share with the wide world vs photos (originals?) on the internet for you to privately work on.
  • Do you tag your photos via a program, once uploaded to a site, or not at all?
  • For the software + sites you use for your photos, how much does it cost monthly/annually?
  • Does your workflow change when traveling?

In the last few pages, I see lightroom often mentioned, and am curious if most are in unison. While I'm not the camera user I'm looking to suggest a reasonable workflow that couples convenience, consistency, and piece of mind. I have a 12TB usable raidz2 NAS with many self hosted apps (in case someone wants to recommend something along that route), but I'm more than happy to pay for a program / site as well.

Reactions: Phuncz

confusis

John Morrison. Founder and Team Leader of SFF.N
SFF Network
SFF Workshop
SFFn Staff
Jun 19, 2015
sff.network
@comagoosie
I work on all my photos on my PC in Lightroom, save them (and the originals) to my NAS. I shoot in JPG only at the moment. I do purge unwanted originals at present, but will most likely stop doing this now that I have a chunky NAS.

Can't remember what Lightroom costs, but I have SFFn for article image storage, Instagram for my hobby photos and another imagehost for misc.

Reactions: comagoosie

VegetableStu

Shrink Ray Wielder
Aug 18, 2016
  1. Do you shoot exclusively in RAW, jpeg, or both?
  2. When transferring to your computer, are photos automatically organized in some way (such as folders by date taken)
  3. Do you backup originals? (If so, what about ALL originals, or do you slim down to only select originals)
  4. Do you have a separate space for photos that are uploaded to internet to share with the wide world vs photos (originals?) on the internet for you to privately work on.
  5. Do you tag your photos via a program, once uploaded to a site, or not at all?
  6. For the software + sites you use for your photos, how much does it cost monthly/annually?
  7. Does your workflow change when traveling?

1. Personally I shoot in RAW. no reason to shoot as both personally. I use jpg when it's a seriously long timelapse or a time-sensitive any-quality project
    (the main reason of shooting both is for quick sharing while still retaining the original pixel data (think coverage projects), but that's a previous life long past, so)
  2. not sure if there's an automatic way, but for me I put them in folders named with the date, location, and shoot title or comment respectively. always go big endian in naming (e.g. 2018.08.03 California Oakland some rare birds).
    if there are multiple cards I'll paste the separate card folders into the folder with the camera's name on it
  3. yeah I still have every RAW I shot in. I'm not sure what I can do to reduce the filesize losslessly, since I read that CR2 is based on TIFF compression ,_, not sure about the CR3 raw format though
  4. I'm not sure I get this... sorry ,_,
    I'm getting to the 2 of the 3-2-1 backup strategy soon (3 copies: 2 local, 1 physically elsewhere), so...
  5. I'd see my feelings, lol. Instagram maybe not but sometimes (at least for the time I've been using it).
    Imgur holy crap definitely not! Too discoverable! (I'm using it as a quickshare anyway, so I'm trying to be pretty discreet with my photos to Imgur)
  6. Canon's DPP is free, and does a lot without breaking the bank (although lightroom's much quicker in terms of workflow, but DPP's more than enough when you're starting out). Online imagehosts, well, imgur. I tend to not use imgur for serious storage, so there's that.
  7. Well it depends on situation, so kinda but not always however maybe definitely? o_o
Go download DPP now if you haven't already. Have your camera's serial number ready (also check the site before downloading, LOL)

Reactions: comagoosie

comagoosie

sff is life
May 8, 2018
Thanks the input

@confusis , I couldn't find the article you mentioned about image storage

I'm not sure I get this... sorry ,_,
I should have given examples, haha! The question, partly ties into "Does your workflow change when traveling?".

Has there been a time that you wanted to show a friend / family / client a photo taken, where you're away from your camera / computer, but don't want to make the photos publicly available yet? It sounds like you'd shoot in raw + jpeg and transfer the jpeg preemptively to your phone via the canon app and share via Skype, sms, etc. Or would you upload the photo to something like google drive and show them via the app on your phone (or shared privately)? Or is there a site that has private online hosting?

Another scenario: you're at computex taking lots of photos and are afraid that before you return home, either you'll lose the photos by accident (theft, damage, negligence) or you won't have the space on the sd card / laptop you may have brought for your multi-day journey. If you're away from your main storage (ie NAS), you may be unable to dump and backup the images like you're used to. How would do you balance these constraints? Or has a cardinal sin been broken by ensuring you don't have enough local storage with you (ie: flash drives, external hdds)! XD

I may be making a mountain out of a mole hill, so if this is something to not worry about, let me know. The camera user is going on a multi-week journey and I want to make sure they can snap, share, and save to their heart's content

lac29

Average Stuffer
Apr 1, 2017
I shoot with a Fuji XT2 after using the Sony RX100 lineup for a long time (had 3 versions). But I honestly find it difficult nowadays to actually go out and shoot with it. There is no motivation =/. It's kinda amazing how good the images out of smartphones are nowadays with photo editing apps and quick upload to social media, that it makes me question having a dedicated camera.

Reactions: VegetableStu

VegetableStu

Shrink Ray Wielder
Aug 18, 2016
I should have given examples, haha! The question, partly ties into "Does your workflow change when traveling?". (etc)
oh right those. Travel pics (and anything longform but personal) I keep a copy in an microSD card so I can bring it and a card reader to show it off. If it's something I'm already sharing online (like hardware and art projects to SFF for example) I'll just open imgur

I'm still saving up for a WD Passport Wireless SSD for immediate backups, but I'm not sure when will I get to order it ,_, I can't remember if the lite system in the passport wireless can intepret RAW footage, but I know my phone can, so that's probably one less thing to worry?

Regarding sending to facebook or emailing: yeah maybe RAW+jpg makes sense here, but consider the amount of work you're doing while overseas. One thing you can try (now) is processing the RAW on the 80D itself. it's quick in a pinch for one or a few, but not a replacement if you're looking through everything. Another is canon's app, although I'm not too liking the wifi connection step ._.
if your phone knows to make a jpg copy every time it saves a local copy of a RAW photo, then that's even better

Don't worry about worrying (but don't worry too much) becuase I've been to the worrying step before! It's okay to think of contingencies, especially when the footage is important. There must be some balances and tradeoffs though (paying for a data plan to sync all photos to google cloud or even home immediately is out of my league, LOL)

Try not to bring a photography studio to your holiday, LOL

Phuncz

Lord of the Boards
SFFn Staff
May 9, 2015
Try not to bring a photography studio to your holiday, LOL
That's why I went with the Sony A6000 as an upgrade to my Canon Powershot G10. I was craving more lens diversity than non-interchangeable lens cameras could offer, but I did love the compact frame allowing me to take it along everywhere without being too much of a burden. I focus on more compact lenses and I wish the pancakes where of better image quality. But basically my entire camera + 4 lenses (16-50mm kit, 30mm macro, 60mm f/2.8 and 12mm f/2.0 all fit in my small 4 liter Think Tank Mirrorless Mover 20. With the kitlens it's even semi pocketable.