Log The wind tunnel, revival!

princess_daphie

Cable-Tie Ninja
Original poster
Jan 26, 2019

I decided to put my build in this case I modded with 2x92mm noctua fans on top, because it was a literal oven before, and I went with my AliExpress special "600w" PicoPSU that I power with my external Meanwell 380w power brick.

I recently had to do and then redo the power cable "harness", because it had too many junction points and the wires from the 8-pin plug to the bigger wire were AWG18 and were heating up. I had voltage rails issues that I noticed in HwInfo, after having random crashes from time to time. My 12V rail was going as low as 10.5v or so sometimes. With my new more direct connection and AWG16 wires from the bigger cable to the 8-pin plug, my 12v droops to 11.4v or so, but not any lower. I know the internal sensors may be off, but the fact that I was getting random GPU crashes were a telltale sign of a power issue.

I also bought a Thermalright Soul 110 mini dual tower cooler with a 92mm fan that sits very lowe profile. I think it looks awesome in this build!

I removed the video card shroud and fan and hot glued a noctua 92mm cpu cooler replacement fan instead. It doesn't provide as much cooling power as the original because it only spins up to 2000rpm, but it's much more silent and it's sound profile is much less egregious.

Specs:
- Case: Modded Lian-Li PC-Q21b
- PSU: AliExpress 600w PicoPSU
- MB: Asrock B560M-ITX/AC
- CPU: Intel i5 11400 (I can unlock it to 100w no issue in this setup)
- Cooler: Thermalright Soul 110
- RAM: 2x32gb Teamgroup DDR4-3600
- GPU: Gigabyte RTX 2060 6gb ITX
- NVME: Samsung 970 Evo plus 1tb
- SATA: Samsung 860 Evo 500gb

Reactions: judokamak and BaK

BaK

King of Cable Management
Bronze Supporter
May 17, 2016
Nice and clean build, well done!

I decided to put my build in this case I modded with 2x92mm noctua fans on top
A picture showing the fans from above is def missing!
How did you manage to cut the two holes?

I had voltage rails issues that I noticed in HwInfo, after having random crashes from time to time.
Good job finding this out!

princess_daphie

Cable-Tie Ninja
Original poster
Jan 26, 2019
Nice and clean build, well done!
Thanks!

I'm not 100% satisfied about the red/black cable harness, as it looks a bit janky, but the best I can think of would be to add a cable jacket like the ones they use in cheap power supplies, maybe, and I plan on trying to secure the 8pin connector to the back panel instead of having it floating :)

A picture showing the fans from above is def missing!
How did you manage to cut the two holes?

For sure! I took some pictures back when I made this mod!!!

Good job finding this out!

Yeah, the cable harness I'd made at first was outside the case, and it was heating up under load, nothing alarming, but still, looks like the resistance was too high! If I could adjust the output voltage on this external power brick, I'd set it to at least 12.5v, you know, as there's always a bit of voltage leakage with DC cabling, unless you don't use connectors and only use huge AWG cables, lol! AWG 16 is the biggest diameter I can use with normal PC connectors and crimps etc. It's even a tad too big, gotta be more careful with it.

Reactions: BaK

princess_daphie

Cable-Tie Ninja
Original poster
Jan 26, 2019
Nicely done, a hole saw is the only way to do this and get nice clean cuts.
Definitely!!! I also bought one for 80mm for another case (the Goodisory A02), and I reused this 92mm couple weeks ago. Very handy for mods! There was no way I'd use a dremel or something like that for this!

Reactions: rfarmer