The Photography/Camera thread

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by IntoxicatedPuma, Jul 24, 2016.

1. IntoxicatedPuma

IntoxicatedPuma Customizer of Titles
    Thread Starter Site Staff Moderator Silver Supporter

Anyone else here into photography/cameras?

I started off with a Canon T2i after a few compact Canons back in 2011. After a few years of not knowing what I was doing and collecting rather crappy kit lenses (Canon EF-S 18-55mm kit, 55-200mm kit, Sigma 75-300mm Macro OS lens, Sigma 10-22 f/3.5-5.6) I finally took someones advice and bought a Sigma 18-35mm Art lens. After that I started to figure out what the heck I was doing and how Aperture/shutter speed/ISO affect the image.

I sold my T2i and got a Canon 100D a couple years ago because I wanted something lighter, but realized the Sigma Art lens was just too heavy. Went to an Olympus E-M1 and fell in love with it. Also had a Sony RX-10 (great camera but just didnt really feel right - too electronic) and an LX-100 for walking around (the LX100 is a great camera too!).

Kind of interested to see what others have, and maybe went they wish they had :D

2. onlyabloke

onlyabloke Cable-Tie Ninja

Was wondering when this thread was going to get started!

I started on Nikon cameras but just felt the Canon's of the same price were better.

Currently, I have a Canon EOS Rebel SL1 and I love it. Currently have a 40mm lens, a 24mm (I think, I'd have to look) lens and the standard kit lens. Used to have fisheyes for the Nikon and whatnot but sold those when I moved to Canon.

Sample Images: https://www.flickr.com/photos/xjg/

Josh | NFC likes this.
  3. IntoxicatedPuma

Ah I forgot when I had the 100D (SL1 by another name) I also picked up the 40mm pancake and Nifty-Fifty. The 100D always gave me issues with autofocus, especially when shooting wide open on the Nifty-Fifty and Sigma Art. The !00D+40mm pancake seemed to have no trouble hitting though. That was a really really great combo for walking around, crazy light and compact.

The second image is with the fisheye on Nikon I take it?

4. onlyabloke

You are correct with the fisheye! Was taken during a trip in Japan. I haven't had any issues with my SL1 yet. It's about 100x better than the Nikon I had originally that's for sure! You have any images with your current camera?

5. PlayfulPhoenix

PlayfulPhoenix Just another human
    Site Staff Chimera Industries SFFLAB

I can pitch in to this. I own an Olympus OM-D E-M5, which I purchased a few years ago in anticipation of a trip to Nepal. It's a Micro Four Thirds camera, and better yet the body is actually dust and weather-proof - handy when traveling, though you have to pair it with a similarly-rated lens whenever you're depending on the durability.

My online gallery is a mix of camera and smartphone photos (iPhone 4S and 6 Plus), but all the photos from Nepal (and most of them generally) are from the E-M5. You can see some example photos (all unretouched) in the "Photography" dropdown of my website - a few example photos would be below, though these are compressed, so bear that in mind:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Olympus has since updated the line, and I'm not sure what the camera landscape looks like presently - but I am a big fan of the camera, and recommend it highly! One of the best purchases I have ever made.

Josh | NFC and onlyabloke like this.
  6. Phuncz

Phuncz Lord of the Boards
    Moderator Gold Supporter

#6 Phuncz, Jul 24, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 24, 2016
    I shot most of my pictures not related to documenting casemods or hardware with a Canon Powershot G10 which was remarkably good for it's size:

[​IMG]
    Don't remember where in Portugal

[​IMG]
    Lisbon

Last year I bought an upgrade in the form of a Sony A6000 with kit lens and macro lens:

[​IMG]
    Doge

[​IMG]
    Buzz buzz buzz

I'm eyeing for a new default lens, because the 16-50mm kit lens is terrible in image quality. I wish they had good pancakes but they are terrible too. So probably I'll be getting a Sony FE 50mm f/1.8 lens in the future.

Way before these cameras I also had a Sony Cybershot F828 and before that a Sony DSC-P72 so I've been clicking digitally for a while.

7. confusis

confusis John Morrison. Writer, Editor, Awesome Person.
    Site Staff

all of my article review shots are taken with a $50 Nikon point and shoot, propped up on a box or handheld... Yeah

a better camera is due at some point this year, not sure when though, there are a few changes that affect my budget coming soon.

edit: This camera or one very similar (im on the bus heading to work at the moment so cant confirm!) http://imaging.nikon.com/lineup/coolpix/a/a100/

8. onlyabloke

#8 onlyabloke, Jul 24, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 24, 2016
    Trying to edit at least one photo a day to post to my flickr since I have thousands in my archives I've never touched for some reason. Hasn't been going so well lately, I'm probably averaging 3-5 photos a week, if that.

Eyes of theCity was taken in Tokyo while I was there in 2012.
    Smoke And Wide Lines was taken at MSP, a race track in the Aomori Prefecture in Northern Japan.

Josh | NFC likes this.
  9. Aibohphobia

Aibohphobia aka James
    Chimera Industries

Every forum needs one of these threads, so I've fixed the thread title @IntoxicatedPuma :)

onlyabloke likes this.
  10. PlayfulPhoenix

I just like scrolling through great photos random people have taken.

It's also really neat to just consider all the places we seem to have been, collectively, with our digital eyes.

onlyabloke likes this.
  11. BirdofPrey

BirdofPrey Standards Guru
    Silver Supporter

Don't forget good lighting.

Josh | NFC and confusis like this.
  12. K888D

K888D SFF Guru
    Bronze Supporter Lazer3D

This photo of a Chipmonk swinging low was taken in Fuerteventura with a Sony Nex C3:

[​IMG]

NRG likes this.
  13. IntoxicatedPuma

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

Most were taken with the E-M1, but the 3rd one (on the mountain) was taken with a Canon 100D + Sigma 18-35mm Art.

14. PlayfulPhoenix

Wow, those are excellent. The bridge photo in particular is gorgeous!

15. IntoxicatedPuma

The bridge is a famous one in Chengdu, JiuYuanQiao (9 hole bridge) and one of the older buildings in the city. I think it was built during the 1600 or 1700s. It's a pretty easy bridge to take pictures of because it has long open boardwalks along the sides of the river and is lit up so well.

16. Soul_Est

Soul_Est SFF Guru
    Bronze Supporter

#16 Soul_Est, Aug 2, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 2, 2016
    You all make me want to travel so much! XD Oh well. I would just take a Fujifilm X70 or a Ricoh GR with me if I did.

17. NRG

NRG Cable-Tie Ninja

[​IMG]
    A photo from a friends party
    [​IMG]
    And another towards the end of the day!
    [​IMG]
    And lastly, A N64 controller that I pulled apart and cleaned with q-tips and alcohol for 2 hours :D The OCD is real hahah.

Tek Everything and Phuncz like this.
  18. Josh | NFC

Josh | NFC Not From Concentrate
    NFC Systems Silver Supporter

This thread is dangerous...luckily I've already been full circle on the buying L lenses and FF bodies and now realize that 300 bucks can make timeless pictures so long as 2/3 of that is allotted to light modifiers :)

Phuncz and onlyabloke like this.
  19. IntoxicatedPuma

Just picked up a 25mm Zhongyi Mitakon f/0.95 lens. Will post pictures this weekend :D

The purple fringing is pretty horrific, and the bokeh is a bit busy. We'll see how it does in normal use!

20. Phuncz

Phuncz Lord of the Boards
    Moderator Gold Supporter

That's got to be a challenge to use on the go and without autofocus.

Samyang is picking up momentum, they have a 14mm f/2.8 with autofocus for the Sony E-mount scheduled for september, I'm hoping the price is OK.