The Photography/Camera thread

Phuncz

Lord of the Boards
SFFn Staff
May 9, 2015
EDIT: I mixed up the 16 and 20mm with 20mm and 28mm
No matter the camera, the Sony pancake 16mm is always going to look crap unless you stop it down to f/8.0 or tighter. The 20mm isn't much better regretably. I wish they made a really good pancake lens. The shots I've seen were usually on-par with the 16-50mm PZ kitlens that's sold with the a6000.

But the Sigma 60mm f2.8 and Sigma 30mm f/2.8 are good lenses for the money that should be able to get more out of the NEX-5 body. If you are looking into getting more out of the NEX-5 that is, but it will also allow you to get a new Sony E-mount body upgrade later on. The Fujifilm cameras are very nice, but also quite an investment since you'll be needing body + lens.

I'm someone who is very careful about spending camera money because I know you can easily spend 5 times as much for something that's in the single-digit percentages better. In the end there is a lot one can do without spending (much) to get a lot better results, like proper lighting, better technique and RAW processing. If the EVF and menus are real obstacles, it might justify changing the body. But in my experience, the menus are always going to be an issue because each brand works differently one way or another.

Last edited:

IntoxicatedPuma

Customizer of Titles
Original poster
SFFn Staff
Feb 26, 2016
The Sigma 30mm 1.4 | C lens is also getting good reviews. I have only owned the 19/30/60 2.8 on my E-M1 but they were pretty solid lenses.

I found Panasonic to have some of the better menus. I always think I'm going to go buy a Sony until I actually try using one and then I get frustrated after a few minutes and hate them again.

I use the E-M1 and other M43 cameras because while my older Canons did have slightly better image quality, I didn't find it was making my photos any better. I've also found my LX100 has quality equal to my E-M1 with a 17/25/45 prime lens, so I ended up selling my Oly primes and just use a Zhongyi 25mm 0.95 - but I would guess in the next year Panasonic will have a "fake" bokeh effect like you can get on the iphone 7 or Huawei Mate 9.

So I am hesitant to spend a lot of money on an expensive full frame camera or even one like the E-M1, because I feel that within a few years the software side will surpass what the camera is capable of. I would guess we are about to the point where companies can do a 3 year flagship camera lifecycle and just update the software of the camera during that time. The original E-M1 and GH4 were both like that, so I would guess the new E-M1 and GH5 both have very powerful processors and will be getting new features for some time. I think Sony needs to go down this route rather than releasing new flagships every 1.5 years.

Reactions: Soul_Est and Phuncz

Phuncz

Lord of the Boards
SFFn Staff
May 9, 2015
Everything was nice and frosty, the sun was still low, time for some wintery pics. This is all with a Sony a6000 and a Sigma 60m f/2.8 lens, after some raw editing:

f/4.5, ISO 100, 1/500 sec.

100% center crop of that same image

f/3.5, ISO 100, 1/750 sec.

100% bottom-right crop of that same image, look to the bottom-right to see what's in focus at the absolute outer edge of the lens at just 1 stop below the maximum F/2.8 aperture.

Obligatory doge

More doge

jeshikat

Jessica. Wayward SFF.n Founder
Silver Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
Wow, those images look great and knowing it's with a $240 lens makes it even more amazing.

Phuncz

Lord of the Boards
SFFn Staff
May 9, 2015
I'm very happy with the lens' quality. To think that lens costs around € 160-170 in my region, tax included :D
It's excellent value for money in a world were € 600 is seemingly the starting point for something that's moderately sharp and you'd want to immediately go to over € 1,000.

Reactions: jeshikat

confusis

John Morrison. Founder and Team Leader of SFF.N
SFF Network
SFF Workshop
SFFn Staff
Jun 19, 2015
sff.network
Some more testing and learning. Taken at F8, 1/100 exposure, (slightly overcast) sunlight only.

(the watermark down the bottom was a test, need to change it to be background agnostic)

Last edited:
Reactions: Phuncz and Soul_Est

jeshikat

Silver Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
Soooooooooo much better than the potato pics you were taking before :p

And that motherboard is nasty.

confusis

SFF Network
SFF Workshop
SFFn Staff
Jun 19, 2015
sff.network
Motherboard is an old ECS made Acer OEM unit, socket. It's my spare known working board for emergency rig setups. It's probably never seen a duster in it's life, nor will it ever :p

Phuncz

Lord of the Boards
SFFn Staff
May 9, 2015
Are you sure it's an old board ? I mean, it has two (!) PCI slots. Apparently that's a thing for 2017.

Are the pics raw-edited or the jpg's ? Because I feel there is much more dynamic range you can get from those shots.
For instance, one of the pics I shot Friday:

RAW-edited

The Histogram and settings to fix my over-exposure and tweaks to the ambiance that moment.

The JPG my camera produced

The original RAW file's Histogram and settings.

Last edited:

jeshikat

Silver Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
I know it's a bad habit but I love how easy it is to fix under/over exposure in post if you shoot RAW.

Phuncz

Lord of the Boards
SFFn Staff
May 9, 2015
When HDR screens enter the scene and true HDR images (not tone-mapping) becomes a thing, it will be less easy to fix because more of the dynamic range will effectively be used, while now only a small portion is used. So people like me who fudge up the exposure regularly will have to learn to cope with that.

jeshikat

Silver Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
I expect HDR TVs to become fairly commonplace over the next few years but considering how many people I see still using 17-19" LCDs hooked up via VGA or laptops that aren't even 1080p, I don't think HDR will take over computer screens anytime soon, unfortunately.

confusis

SFF Network
SFF Workshop
SFFn Staff
Jun 19, 2015
sff.network
I edited the RAW images, still learning the software! I have had no official training in this stuff :)

Arboreal

King of Cable Management
Silver Supporter
Oct 11, 2015
My response was like two pages long with no end in sight, but I remembered I have alot of work to do so I want to TL;DR my response and save the long one for another day.

Having owned an X-E1 and NEX3, 5, and 7 I would choose between the X-E1/2 or the NEX-7.

The X-E1 has wonderful menus and controls, but it is a VERY slow camera in more ways than one. It is slow to operate, and slow to respond. I absolutely hated that camera and the really bad EVF until I checked my lightroom statistics at the end of the year and found that all my best images by an overwhelming majority were with it, and none of them were shot RAW. So I guess I really loved that camera afterall for how much I used it over the A99 and NEX cameras I had at the time.

The NEX 7 was the first and last of its breed. It is one of my favorite cameras of all time for its mix of power, image quality, speed, controls, and overall ergonomics. Still, I would have to do processing to get the look I wanted.

The NEX3/5 were soulless machines that I didn't like for one reason or another, but great on paper.

I would own an X-E1 or X-E2 today given the choice between all those cameras for still photography. I mean, the best thing I can say for them is my primary stills camera is a X-A1 I bought used for 125 bucks...it doesn't even have the X-Trans sensor. It doesn't have a EVF, it doesn't have a lot of things. But it has the look I want, triggers flash, and you can mount the insanely amazing Fuji glass to it. (I'm just using the 27mm).

The video quality definitely sucks, but content is much more important anyways. I shot most of this series on a X-T1 and some of the previous series on a X-E1...I was a huge noob then but you can see some of what the video looks like. I still am a noob, but I've learned since then for sure.

Things about me:

1. I would have never considered a camera without an EVF (now I don't care as long as the back screen is really good)
2. I wanted ONE camera for stills and audio (Now I think the best choice is one for stills (a Fuji of sorts) and one for video (Panny G7).

Peace.

Christmas mayhem over, I have been able to think about cameras for a bit following your comments.

@ Josh - interesting to follow your journey through cameras. Fully agree that one camera won't do everything you want, there is no perfect camera; but one that ticks a lot of boxes.

There's a lot to like in the Sony system, the size and build are great. The NEX5 I have been using has been a painless (and inexpensive ;)) entry into mirrorless, but I have hit some limitations with my own requirements.
* The rear screen is hard to use in sunlight, and the camera is less stable held away from you.
* I still can't get the hang of what's where in the menus, I'm sure stuff moves around! A higher up NEX with multi control dials looks like it will take away some of that problem, with more direct access to what you need, and more custom buttons.
* Night photography is a pain, not being able to ficus at infinity - I may just switch to Nikon lens + adaptor for that one

I hadn't considered the NEX7, as I thought it would be quite a bit more expensive than a NEX 6. There seem to be a number on the 'bay that aren't unreasonable.

I need to test an EVF camera to make sure adding that feature really makes life easier, as I'd rather put the money into lenses, where the quality lies.

What I miss is a decent camera shop that does used kit, so that you can try the different options alongside one another. The world has changed a lot since I was in the camera trade, so just have to look elsewhere.

Interesting to hear your dichotomy with with X-E1, I did hear that the EVF is laggy compared to newer models and low light AF is slooooow. That said, it produced your favourite images when you were using it.

I have an online photo buddy who is selling and X-E1 and X-E2, he's had those, Sony NEX and A6000 and top end Fuji X kit too.
It would be great to borrow one for a few days to test and see whet it's like in use.

No matter the camera, that Sony pancake 20mm is always going to look crap unless you stop it down to f/8.0 or tighter. I wish they made a really good pancake lens, because the 28mm is not a big improvement either. The shots I've seen were usually on-par with the 16-50mm PZ kitlens that's sold with the a6000.

But the Sigma 60mm f2.8 and Sigma 30mm f/2.8 are good lenses for the money that should be able to get more out of the NEX-5 body. If you are looking into getting more out of the NEX-5 that is, but it will also allow you to get a new Sony E-mount body upgrade later on. The Fujifilm cameras are very nice, but also quite an investment since you'll be needing body + lens.

I'm someone who is very careful about spending camera money because I know you can easily spend 5 times as much for something that's in the single-digit percentages better. In the end there is a lot one can do without spending (much) to get a lot better results, like proper lighting, better technique and RAW processing. If the EVF and menus are real obstacles, it might justify changing the body. But in my experience, the menus are always going to be an issue because each brand works differently one way or another.

@Phuncz, I partly wish I had bought the larger Sigma 19mm, as it's optically noticeably better than the Sony 20mm. My focus was on portability, to replicate my phone camera with a better low light ability and more control. It's worked about 80% I'd say, but am disappointed at the softness. The NEX5 came with a Pentacon 50mm lens with adaptor, and that is way sharper than the 20mm, even with the extra trouble of apetrure and focusing manually.

I totally agree with you about throwing money at the situation (I don't have the spare cash to waste, family takes up most of that); definitely diminishing returns in buying top end kit over something lower end or preferably used.
The lenses are really important IMHO, most bodies above the minimum entry level are capable of excellent results. All you are paying for is better build quality and features that you may not use, but have been persuaded that you 'need'.
17 years in the camera trade showed that 'Gear Acquisition Syndrome' as they say in the USA was good for our profits, but not necessarily for the photographer.
Part of me is attracted to Fuji, as I like their way of working and unusual approach to cameras. I used to borrow the Fuji GX617 panoramic camera and the GS645i MF 'rangefinder' cameras from demo stock.

I must really get my software sorted and work on RAW files better, that would be a good start. Then I can see what another body will do for me, preferably adding what I am missing in the way of features which make it work better for me - at the end of the day it is personal and if you're not comfortable with the camera, it won't let you get teh best out of it.
Happy New Year and more photography

Josh | NFC

Not From Concentrate
NFC Systems
Jun 12, 2015
www.nfc-systems.com
Last note--I am very familiar with several RAW software programs having shot Canon for many years. Not ever having to with my Fuji is like, one of my favoritest things.

The Sony cameras annihilate pretty much everything on paper, but you have to like working with them and the computer. And I really don't.

As far as camera journey I'm actually ashamed to admit the cameras I have purchased, but I do think it serves as a warning/advice for people getting into the hobby. Here are bodies I purchased for myself in order (some of them at the same time, sometimes 2x bodies for work).

Canon G12
Canon T2i
Canon 7D
Sony NEX3
Sony NEX5
Sony NEX7
Sony RX1
Sony A99
Fuji X-E1
Fuji X-T1
Sony A7ii
Sony A6300
Fuji X-A1

Cameras that I used extensively for work but were purchased by work:

Canon XH-A1s
Canon XA10
VG900 (NEX9)
Panasonic G7

Lenses...to many to count. I've owned a huge amount of L-glass (usually only one or two at a time, they have a high resale value so I "rented" for long periods of time). I got the entire e-mount lineup in trade with the NEX7, and all but the Zeiss 24mm sucked so I sold them off. But I got to use alot of glass and really get a feel for what I liked and what I didn't.

Aaaaaaannndd of course I've been lucky to use a billion other bodies. My sister and her husband are talented pro photogs in the Seattle area, and my work with my previous company had us buying consumer bodies for testing and compatibility and software development so I got to play with a ton of stuff...and of course the things I didn't get to rent I got to see at NAB, CES, etc.

Really, after all that, I can say what I learned is that the gear TRULY doesn't matter. Just find something you like using. If the quality is bad you aren't using light to your advantage, as really the worst lens looks great at f7. I mean I shoot with a camera I paid 130 dollars for my stills stuff and you would be hard pressed to really tell a difference in quality between it and my $3500 FF setup with Zeiss glass. I mean, you can probably tell which one was the Sony and which the Fuji if you know color, but as far as QUALITY goes?

Good luck and peace!

Reactions: Phuncz and jeshikat

3lfk1ng

King of Cable Management
SFFn Staff
Bronze Supporter
Jun 3, 2016
www.reihengaming.com
Untouched a6500 shots w/ 50mm F2.8, no additional lighting.
I've been impressed with this camera since day one. It captures with near-perfect lighting accuracy and the colors always match the subject.
I cannot wait to unleash this camera at CES

jeshikat

Silver Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
You feeling brave enough to do any video or will you stick to stills?

3lfk1ng

King of Cable Management
SFFn Staff
Bronze Supporter
Jun 3, 2016
www.reihengaming.com
I just bought a 16-50mm lens specifically for video but my primary focus will be detailed stills.
Hopefully they won't question why I am walking around with a Mitutoyo Caliper, haha

Reactions: EdZ and Phuncz

confusis

SFF Network
SFF Workshop
SFFn Staff
Jun 19, 2015
sff.network
If they ask questions, just say that unlike most areas of the industry, accurate measurements are important *glares at GPU manufacturers*

Reactions: Phuncz and 3lfk1ng