Completed The MI-6 Microtower Case: Performance in 6.7L

Ganelon

Average Stuffer
Feb 23, 2017
Yes the pcie riser ribbon is included. It's listed under Flexibility heading on first page.
Shipping, well I did a quick check and Fedex is US$159. Hopefully there is a better way to get it there.
Could you give us the dimensions and weight of the package so that we can look into options ourselves? I feel sure that when I was moving back over here and shipping my stuff from Detroit to London there were cheaper options than FedEx. Even though that shipping price is pretty good, we could do the research so you don't have to.

firewolfy

Master of Cramming
Original poster
Nov 12, 2015
Could you give us the dimensions and weight of the package so that we can look into options ourselves? I feel sure that when I was moving back over here and shipping my stuff from Detroit to London there were cheaper options than FedEx. Even though that shipping price is pretty good, we could do the research so you don't have to.
Good idea. Package will be 13x10x7 inches. Wt 4 lbs.

Reactions: Biowarejak

Ganelon

Average Stuffer
Feb 23, 2017
Good idea. Package will be 13x10x7 inches. Wt 4 lbs.
Hmm. Most of these require that I input all your personal info before it gives me a quote. There were a few I couldn't check but it looks like FedEx are actually a pretty good option now.

The killer is the import tax and duty. I would be paying an extra over $100 on top of the case cost and cost of shipping.

Maybe I should have it shipped to my family in Detroit, and then have them send it to me marked as "personal belongings" on the customs form. Since I DID live over there fairly recently, and was on vacation there even more recently, it should be believable. Tax and duty are free for personal belongings being sent back to you from a country you visited.

In fact, that's an awesome idea and I'm a genius. You can change my form so that the country listed is USA. I'm sure my uncle will be happy to send it on to me. Fuck you, HRMC Customs!

firewolfy

Master of Cramming
Original poster
Nov 12, 2015
Also, I'll be likely be shipping from zip code 85207 in Arizona, so you can use that to check shipping options.
Please let me know if you find some good shipping solutions, as I'll need to decide on the best shipping companies to use.

firewolfy

Master of Cramming
Original poster
Nov 12, 2015
I can get a package sent from PerformancePCs in the US to Sweden for around $45 using DHL Express, and then it reaches me in 2-3 days which is darn impressive. Using slower shipping would probably lower the cost. But I guess the weight affects it as well, so I am not sure what to expect for the MI-6. Pretty sure FedEx is always most expensive, though.

Just checked USPS and got cost as low as $49.50, so much better.

firewolfy

Master of Cramming
Original poster
Nov 12, 2015
Looks like USPS has some great rates. Here is a compilation of some quick checks for shipping (13x10x7in, 4 lb, from US Arizona 85207):

Domestic: $19 New York City (USPS) (other side of the country from AZ, so should be max domestic cost).
Western Europe: Austria, Denmark, Finland, Germany, GB (London), Sweden: $49.50 (USPS).
Australia: $50 (USPS).
Canada (Toronto): $36.50 (USPS).
Japan: $50.75 (USPS)
Singapore: $53.25 (USPS)

Last edited:

firewolfy

Master of Cramming
Original poster
Nov 12, 2015
I added all the possible 2.5" HDD/SSD mounting configurations to the first page (click on spoiler). You can use this to determine how you want to configure your case.

EDIT -- With the complexity of the options, let me know if you need to change your selections if you have pre-ordered already

Last edited:

firewolfy

Master of Cramming
Original poster
Nov 12, 2015
Pre-Order Update

Sign ups: 28 (29 cases) Wow. Pretty much at the minimum order target after only 3 days. Thanks everyone who signed up so far.

As I wrote on the first page earlier today, there is no need to close the order sign up list until the samples are done. The final sample run is in process, so the sign ups will remain open until it is done and production is ready, about mid October.

If sign ups are much more than needed for a 30pc run, it should be possible to make the first batch larger than 30pcs, so everyone can get in on the production run.

firewolfy

Master of Cramming
Original poster
Nov 12, 2015
A quick note to clear up any confusion about drive mounting. The tool-less 2.5" hdd/ssd mounting bracket is not required to mount 1 drive of any thickness. You can also mount 2 thin drives (7.5mm) without a bracket. Here is how:

Hope this helps. This is from the first page under the hdd spoiler. You can find more mounting configs there as well.

SIEGEX

Trash Compacter
May 19, 2017
The other day I posted a query about temperature tests....have there been any lengthy tests carried out for thermals?

Cheers

firewolfy

Master of Cramming
Original poster
Nov 12, 2015
The other day I posted a query about temperature tests....have there been any lengthy tests carried out for thermals?

Cheers
I did some tests over on [H], on page 13 but just noticed that the test data pic link is broken. I'm on business travel a couple days, but ill try to post some info.

What value will you put on the shipping papers? This makes quite a difference..

I will have to list the sales price of the unit.

mrp0p1nfr3sh

Average Stuffer
Sep 4, 2017
I asked similar question, and he told me that 50 people will bring the price down but only a little. To have a more significant price drop, he'll need 100 people or more.

So guys, let's start promoting!
Yeah id jump on it if its sub $200 shipped or less. Is there a way we can get on a interested list if we can hit over a certain number?

Mackan

Airflow Optimizer
Jun 2, 2016
Looking a bit more carefully at the renders, I noticed the PSU is seated with only 3 screws, and not 6 or 4. Is there any reason for this?