Completed The MI-6 Microtower Case: Performance in 6.7L

firewolfy

Master of Cramming
Original poster
Nov 12, 2015
Do you have the 3D model for this. I'm looking to find out how you made the PCI cutouts in the back
Can't give you the 3D model, but you can take a look at the updated 1st page to see some views of the PCI cutout area. To get the PCI cutouts sized and located correctly takes (me anyway) a long time. The public PCI spec has the info, but since the PCI for the MI-6 isn't located at the standard location relative to the MB, it takes some work. Hope that helps.

Reactions: Biowarejak

firewolfy

Master of Cramming
Original poster
Nov 12, 2015
Nice, I just saw that one new render in the op with half length slot holes to end each row. It's looking great!
Yes, it was a good idea so I included that in the final drawing package for the shop to review. --And they say they will get back to me today with feedback.

Boil

SFF Guru
Nov 11, 2015
Nice, I just saw that one new render in the op with half length slot holes to end each row. It's looking great!

Yes, it was a good idea so I included that in the final drawing package for the shop to review. --And they say they will get back to me today with feedback.

I agree, the half holes filling inthe gaps at the edge of the venting definitely look better...!

But could we see this with the front I/O as well...?

Thanks...!

Ganelon

Average Stuffer
Feb 23, 2017
I'm a big fan of this project and I can't wait to get the case.

Since I'm stuck in a hospital bed with not much to do, I decided to try my hand at making vector graphics. Inspired by "firewolfy" I imagined what the logo for this case might be. Really it was just an exercise to try making a logo, since I plan to start a pc modding website soon and I'll be wanting to make the logo for that also (rather than paying a designer).

Anyway, this is what I came up with, here made to look like it's engraved onto brushed aluminium. It's a heavily modified version of a license-free vector I found online.

I hope Fire likes it but I don't even remotely expect him to use it; it's obviously not close to professional work.

V1

V3 (a few revisions later; it has more fire but I'm not sure it's an improvement):

I also designed an alternate nameplate, again just as a design practice exercise, but I don't want to post that because it feels too much like I'm trying to tell Fire what his stuff should look like, which I'm totally not. This case has just inspired me to try something new (I've designed business cards and fliers in the past but never logos).

Last edited:

K888D

SFF Guru
Lazer3D
Feb 23, 2016
www.lazer3d.com
I'm a big fan of this project and I can't wait to get the case.

Since I'm stuck in a hospital bed with not much to do, I decided to try my hand at making vector graphics. Inspired by "firewolfy" I imagined what the logo for this case might be. Really it was just an exercise to try making a logo, since I plan to start a pc modding website soon and I'll be wanting to make the logo for that also (rather than paying a designer).

Anyway, this is what I came up with, here made to look like it's engraved onto brushed aluminium. It's a heavily modified version of a license-free vector I found online.

I hope Fire likes it but I don't even remotely expect him to use it; it's obviously not close to professional work.

V1

V3 (a few revisions later; it has more fire but I'm not sure it's an improvement):

I also designed an alternate nameplate, again just as a design practice exercise, but I don't want to post that because it feels too much like I'm trying to tell Fire what his stuff should look like, which I'm totally not. This case has just inspired me to try something new (I've designed business cards and fliers in the past but never logos).
Those look really nice.

Ganelon

Average Stuffer
Feb 23, 2017
Those look really nice.

Looks pretty professional to me! I prefer v1 fwiw

Yeah I like the v1 the best too, very nice design.

I'm glad you like it! I don't feel like I can take too much credit, since most of the work was simply vectorising an image I found online and adjusting bits plus adding flames.

I think I'm closer to a version that retains the elegance of v1 while still adding flames to make it more Firewolfy.

v4
EDIT: v4.1:

It's definitely better than v3. But I still have a lot to learn about non-typographical design.

Last edited:

ignsvn

By Toutatis!
SFFn Staff
Apr 4, 2016
What's unfortunate is that, Xiaomi just came up with their MI 6 phone. Every time I google MI6 / MI 6 / MI-6, it's Xiaomi phones everywhere (and UK's secret service, of course).

And googling something like "MI6 case" will show accessories for MI6 phone: cases, screen protector, etc XD

Ganelon

Average Stuffer
Feb 23, 2017
What's unfortunate is that, Xiaomi just came up with their MI 6 phone. Every time I google MI6 / MI 6 / MI-6, it's Xiaomi phones everywhere (and UK's secret service, of course).

And googling something like "MI6 case" will show accessories for MI6 phone: cases, screen protector, etc XD

That sucks.

Why is the case called the MI-6 by the way? Does anyone know? I don't see it anywhere in the thread.