Completed The MI-6 Microtower Case: Performance in 6.7L

firewolfy

Master of Cramming
Original poster
Nov 12, 2015
Yes, it can't get much bigger, -or we will have to call it a 7 liter porker, lol. The original target was around 6.4, but grew with the longer ITX GPUs that came out, a bit to fit 15mm HDD drives, and some clearance to fit everything together easily. It's all finalized now at 6.7L. So the 6 is to denote that it is a 6 liter class case.

Reactions: Biowarejak

K888D

SFF Guru
Lazer3D
Feb 23, 2016
www.lazer3d.com
I'm glad you like it! I don't feel like I can take too much credit, since most of the work was simply vectorising an image I found online and adjusting bits plus adding flames.

I think I'm closer to a version that retains the elegance of v1 while still adding flames to make it more Firewolfy.

v4
EDIT: v4.1:

It's definitely better than v3. But I still have a lot to learn about non-typographical design.
Ah right, well in that case then be careful the original image is not copyrighted!

Ganelon

Average Stuffer
Feb 23, 2017
Ah right, well in that case then be careful the original image is not copyrighted!
Yeah sometimes even a derivative work is covered by their copyright

It's free to use, even commercially, according to the website I got it from.

@firewolfy

Btw, from the renderings, seems that the feet are aluminum. Any option for, say, black rubber feet?

Dude, case feet like that are standard size and standard thread (or standard screw-hole). You can buy replacement black rubber feet that fit perfectly for under $5 online.

Please correct me if I'm wrong, Fire. T'would be good to know.

firewolfy

Master of Cramming
Original poster
Nov 12, 2015
It's free to use, even commercially, according to the website I got it from.

Dude, case feet like that are standard size and standard thread (or standard screw-hole). You can buy replacement black rubber feet that fit perfectly for under $5 online.

Please correct me if I'm wrong, Fire. T'would be good to know.

Yes, the feet are relatively standardized anodized natural aluminum. And yes, they can be replaced by the owner with custom feet.

--Also, update on first page regarding status and pricing...

Ganelon

Average Stuffer
Feb 23, 2017
COST: For 30pc run approx $210, plus options such as front I/O or tool-less HDD mount. Working this week on getting more publicity using renders to see if we can increase the first run to 50 or 100 to get the cost down.
SHIPPING: Est $24 for continental US (UPS ground)

Can you estimate the shipping cost to the UK, please? Just so I can budget my project a little easier.

Can't wait to see the photos of the pre-production cases. =D

(by the way, if you have a Gigabyte 1070 Mini on hand, it would reaaaallly help me out to see how it fits. I know it does fit, but I'd like to know what kind of space there is around it.)

Last edited:

rfarmer

Spatial Philosopher
Jul 7, 2017
Thanks for the update Fire. I have a Ncase and spent close to this amount after shipping, so to me it seems reasonable. I am in the US so the lower shipping cost plays in my favor, I know it won't be that low for international shipping.

ignsvn

By Toutatis!
SFFn Staff
Apr 4, 2016
Thanks for the info on the feet.

@firewolfy,
Reading your post about generating interest, I remember you mentioned about sending your latest prototypes to reviewers?

Edit: perhaps a build log video would be great as well.

firewolfy

Master of Cramming
Original poster
Nov 12, 2015
-- Latest Status --

> I updated the renders on first page.

> Going to be kicking off official pre-order form later today. Pre-ordering will be in parallel with the getting the final prototype done. This will save time, help gauge support level and see if first run quantity should be increased (!)

-Fire!

SIEGEX

Trash Compacter
May 19, 2017
MI-6 Mini-ITX Computer Case Project

Formal pre-ordering has started for the first production run.
The sign up form is here: SIGN-UP FORM

9/14 -- Pre-ordering opened in parallel with prototype sample mfg process.
9/13 -- Received feedback and complete quote for pre-production 5pc order. Working with shop on terms and conditions. Expect to kick off order this week. Formal pre-ordering will be as soon as samples are completed and verified sweet.
COST: For 30pc run approx $210, plus options such as front I/O or tool-less HDD mount. Working this week on getting more publicity using renders to see if we can increase the first run to 50 or 100 to get the cost down.
SHIPPING: Est $24 for continental US (UPS ground)

Tentative Targets:
Late Sept -- review pre-production samples, kick off pre-ordering link.
Early Oct -- Set up payment store. Kick off production when 30 orders paid.
Early Dec -- Get cases from fab house, start assembly.
Late Dec -- Ship!

8/8/2017 -- Nearly all quoting activities are completed for the finalized design. Pricing looks slightly above target, so I'll be offering some features as add-on options to tailor the case cost for the customer. Business set up as Case-by-Case Design Company.

Optional Front Power Button and I/O:

Features
  • Solid, clean styling. No plastic or flimsy sheet metal, just beautiful black powder coated 2mm interior and black anodized 1.5mm cover.
  • Dimensions 135 x 203 x 246mm. Small footprint keeps desk uncluttered. Volume 6.7 L.
  • Corrosion resistant, lightweight construction. Aluminum alloy chassis and cover. Stainless steel fasteners. Weight <3.0 lbs.
  • Open physical architecture simplifies working in the case. No PSU covering the MB. Only 4 screws attach the main cover.
  • Built for mini-ITX size motherboards. Socket 1151, 1150, 2011-v3, AMD.
  • Built for mini-ITX size GPUs. All ITX-style GPUs fit.
  • Cutout behind MB for access to backplane. Access M.2 connector and CPU cooler bracket without removing MB.
  • Rear mounted power switch. Minimizes clutter and accidental resets.
  • Optional front panel-mounted white power button (blue LED) and I/O.
Flexibility
  • Fresh air intakes for the CPU, GPU and PSU. Room for 92mm bottom case fan to increase component cooling. Cover vent sized to match all current MB CPU cooler locations and sizes up to 120x120mm. Cover vent pattern sized to match up to all current gpu fan locations.
  • Fits CPU coolers up to 65mm tall.
  • Flexibility to use any SFX, SFX-L or SFX-L+ PSU.
  • SSD/HDD: Multiple locations for 2.5" drives. Also available: a tool-less quick-disconnect stainless steel 2.5” SSD/HDD mount.
  • Mix and Match Mounting:
Up to 4 SSD/HDDs (or 3 at 15 mm) with additional HDD mounts
92mm case fan
SFX-L PSU
Front I/O port.​
  • PCI-E 16x Gen 3 Li-Heat shielded narrow-format riser cable included.
  • Accepts full-height, 1 or 2-slot ITX-sized GPU. Max width 40mm or 43mm with backplate, max length 190mm. Clearance for PEG connectors on top.
  • Internal Envelope for GPU:

• Higher-end GPUs that will fit:
    • Gigabyte GTX 1080 ITX !
    • GTX 1070: Gigabyte GTX 1070 ITX, Palit Galax/KFA2 GTX 1070 Mini ITX
    • GTX 1060: EVGA GTX 1060 ITX, ZotacGTX 1060 ITX
    • All R9 Nanos
    • GeForce GTX 970's: Asus GTX970-DCMOC-4GD5, Gigabyte GV-N970IXOC-4GD
    • GeForce GTX 960's: Asus GTX960-MOC-2GD5, EVGA 02G-P4-2962-KR, EVGA 04G-P4-1962-KR, EVGA 04G-P4-3962-KR, Gigabyte GV-N960IXOC-2GD, Gigabyte GV-N960IXOC-4GD, Gigabyte GV-N960OC-2GD (rev. 1.0), Gigabyte GV-N960OC-4GD
I randomly logged in and HA! You posted 8 minutes ago.....(20 minutes gone by allready) order form submitted. Giving me a 70% chance of being first in line.....woohoo

eastofnowhere

Cable Smoosher
Jun 25, 2017
Before I bite the bullet, whats the expected shipping cost to Australia? Also, is that PCIe ribbon included in the price or optional extra? The ribbon is mentioned on page1 one but not in the form.

ignsvn

By Toutatis!
SFFn Staff
Apr 4, 2016

@firewolfy
Please keep us informed on the alternate pricing of 50 or more units for the first run :)

firewolfy

Master of Cramming
Original poster
Nov 12, 2015
Can you estimate the shipping cost to the UK, please? Just so I can budget my project a little easier.

Can't wait to see the photos of the pre-production cases. =D

(by the way, if you have a Gigabyte 1070 Mini on hand, it would reaaaallly help me out to see how it fits. I know it does fit, but I'd like to know what kind of space there is around it.)
I have a Gigabyte 1070 itx I fit checked in the case last fall. There are pics and info over on [H] here.

Ganelon

Average Stuffer
Feb 23, 2017
I#m
I have a Gigabyte 1070 itx I fit checked in the case last fall. There are pics and info over on [H] here.

Oh lord, that's tighter than I thought (though I don't know why I thought it wouldn't be).

Looks like some modding is in my future. I think you'll really like the project I'm planning.

Mackan

Airflow Optimizer
Jun 2, 2016
I can get a package sent from PerformancePCs in the US to Sweden for around $45 using DHL Express, and then it reaches me in 2-3 days which is darn impressive. Using slower shipping would probably lower the cost. But I guess the weight affects it as well, so I am not sure what to expect for the MI-6. Pretty sure FedEx is always most expensive, though.

firewolfy

Master of Cramming
Original poster
Nov 12, 2015
Before I bite the bullet, whats the expected shipping cost to Australia? Also, is that PCIe ribbon included in the price or optional extra? The ribbon is mentioned on page1 one but not in the form.

Yes the pcie riser ribbon is included. It's listed under Flexibility heading on first page.
Shipping, well I did a quick check and Fedex to Sydney Australia is US$159. Hopefully there is a better way to get it there.

EDIT -- eastonowhere suggested USPS to me, so I checked it and got as low as $50. SO that is much better.

Last edited: