Completed The MI-6 Microtower Case: Performance in 6.7L

Biowarejak

Maker of Awesome | User 1615
Platinum Supporter
Mar 6, 2017
Considering all the leg work has been done, you might be able to get a kickstarter (or indiegogo, I guess) going with a goal that lowers the price significantly due to the bulk order :)

Ganelon

Average Stuffer
Feb 23, 2017
Looking a bit more carefully at the renders, I noticed the PSU is seated with only 3 screws, and not 6 or 4. Is there any reason for this?

Even though SFX PSUs have six screw holes, only three are needed to keep it 100% secure. You'll see most ATX to SFX PSU adapters have the screw mounts in the exact same place; two on one side and one in the middle of the other.

I've held ATX PSUs in place with only two screws for extended periods of time before. Not recommended, but steel screwed together is pretty damn strong.

In this case it's probably just to save cost and efficiency. Why have more than three holes, and need to provide more than three screws, when three will do?

Reactions: Biowarejak

Boil

SFF Guru
Nov 11, 2015
Looking a bit more carefully at the renders, I noticed the PSU is seated with only 3 screws, and not 6 or 4. Is there any reason for this?

Nothing wrong with only three screws, I am looking at my SF600 right now...

Yes, it has six spots for screws, but all are not needed to secure...

Looking at the SFX > ATX bracket from Corsair, only has three spots to secure the SFX PSU to the adapter bracket...

Look at other SFX PSUs, you will note they can vary anywhere from three to six screw holes, but look at the vast majority of cases & you will see they only require three or four screws to secure the PSU...

I do not think I have ever seen a case with six holes to secure a SFX PSU...

ignsvn

By Toutatis!
SFFn Staff
Apr 4, 2016
LOL I have most components in my PC secured by N - 1 screws, where N = available screw holes of the said components.

Edit: and I never screw them tightly - easier when replacing components / cleaning.

Nosuchthing

Trash Compacter
Feb 27, 2017
Much as I really wanted to pre-order the case, I'm afraid I'm going to have to pass this time.

I've just written off my car this morning and don't really have the spare cash for the investment I'd need to make.

Best of luck with the pre-order. If it all works out then I'd love to order it in a few months. But right now I am in no position to do so.

firewolfy

Master of Cramming
Original poster
Nov 12, 2015
Sorry all. Was out of town on business travel most of this week and couldn't keep up like I wanted to. But I'm back now.

Btw @firewolfy, I think this is something to consider. Not the price but basically the minimum number of people thing.

I'm going to stay flexible on the order quantity thing. When the final prototypes are done, then reviews and other options might open up to get more publicity. That may get the qty up and we can get that price down for everyone.

This is going to turn into a massdrop type of thing haha.

Dude, I hadn't checked out massdrop before. That is kind of a cool site and business model (although the knitting thing kind of leaves me puzzled, lol).

Much as I really wanted to pre-order the case, I'm afraid I'm going to have to pass this time.

I've just written off my car this morning and don't really have the spare cash for the investment I'd need to make.

Best of luck with the pre-order. If it all works out then I'd love to order it in a few months. But right now I am in no position to do so.

Sorry bout that Nosuchthing, but I'll keep working on the pricing and hopefully get a price level that will work for you.

Quick Status -- The list is at 38 orders now, so it is still rolling pretty good! The fab house is working on their schedule and I should know in the next few days when they will start fabricating.

ignsvn

By Toutatis!
SFFn Staff
Apr 4, 2016
Also, I'm not familiar with massdrop.

What are the pros & cons using massdrop from both creators' & customers' point of view?

firewolfy

Master of Cramming
Original poster
Nov 12, 2015
One pre-order has an undeliverable email: D Bluson, if you read this forum can you PM me your email address? Thx,

Jonny727272

Airflow Optimizer
Feb 26, 2017
Also, I'm not familiar with massdrop.

What are the pros & cons using massdrop from both creators' & customers' point of view?
It's a company that works directly with the OEM to cut out the middle man and deliver products at cheaper prices. Also, you can "commit" to a lower price point and if enough people do then you can get even cheaper buys. It's super good for consumers. I don't know of any cons outside of having to wait a couple weeks for the product. And I'm not sure what @firewolfy would have to do to sell on there either.

InfernoZeus

SFF Lingo Aficionado
May 23, 2017
@firewolfy, have you considered a version of this case without space for a PSU at the bottom? With a G-Unique unit, you could reduce the height by 60mm or so, leaving a volume of 5.2L or so. I'd personally love it! :D

Reactions: eggDK

eggDK

Average Stuffer
Mar 14, 2016
.... 5.2L or so. I'd personally love it! :D

I second this statement! I was actually expecting Dan to go that route next, but he went the other way.. NFC hasn't hinted that way either afaik.. And with the feedback that the Ukrainians are getting lately, there's really only you left to fill this gap. (Assuming the MI-6 lives up to my expectations;))

Biowarejak

Platinum Supporter
Mar 6, 2017
@firewolfy, have you considered a version of this case without space for a PSU at the bottom? With a G-Unique unit, you could reduce the height by 60mm or so, leaving a volume of 5.2L or so. I'd personally love it! :D
Yeah but you still have to deal with the volume of the external AC-DC at some point :) will agree that it might look nice though!

InfernoZeus

SFF Lingo Aficionado
May 23, 2017
And with the feedback that the Ukrainians are getting lately, there's really only you left to fill this gap. (Assuming the MI-6 lives up to my expectations;))

I've been following that thread for a while, and the recent happenings are what spurred me to ask here!

Yeah but you still have to deal with the volume of the external AC-DC at some point :) will agree that it might look nice though!

Very true, but personally I prefer it as it makes travelling with the case much easier. With an external AC-DC block, the maximum dimension of the case is smaller, and you can chuck the power block anywhere, either in the same bag or in your main luggage.

Biowarejak

Platinum Supporter
Mar 6, 2017
Very true, but personally I prefer it as it makes travelling with the case much easier. With an external AC-DC block, the maximum dimension of the case is smaller, and you can chuck the power block anywhere, either in the same bag or in your main luggage.
True, usually I wind up putting my computer and charger in the same space and they bump, so I generally prefer to have it integrated. That said, I could always pack better :) lol

Jonny727272

Airflow Optimizer
Feb 26, 2017
As one who uses a G-unique and a massive dell powerbrick, I do kind of wish I had gone the route on the internal psu. That is a huge reason why I want this case so badly.