Completed The MI-6 Microtower Case: Performance in 6.7L

Geomancer

Minimal Tinkerer
Oct 7, 2017
Sorry for the text wall. I've been doing some research into the best cooler that will fit into the MI-6. Most of these should be decent coolers with obviously the larger the better. I'm going to test the Raijintek PALLAS when I eventually receive my case if anyone wants to know if it will actually fit.

92mm Class
  • Noctua NH-L9x65 65mm
  • Cryorig C7 47mm

100mm class
  • Reeven Brontes 59mm
  • AXP-100R 58mm

120mm Class

Can change to a better fan (NF-A12x15)
  • Deepcool Gabriel 60mm (55mm with change)
  • Reeven Steropes 60mm (62mm with change)
  • Big Shuriken 2 Rev. B 58mm (61mm with fan change)

Need to change fan to fit in case + for compatibility (NF-A12x15)
  • Be Quiet! Shadow Rock LP 65.4mm
  • Noctua NH-L12 66mm (Fan mounted on bottom will leave 28mm ram clearance or just use the 92mm fan)
  • Phanteks PH-TC12LS 64mm

140mm Class (Will touch case)
  • Raijintek PALLAS 68mm

Reactions: Jonny727272

rfarmer

Spatial Philosopher
Jul 7, 2017
You also have the Thermalright AXP-100RH at 65mm.

I am still on the fence about whether to do a Ryzen or Coffee Lake build. If Coffee Lake I will probably opt for the Big Shuriken 2 but if Ryzen I will go with the Noctua NH-L12 seeing as the Big Shuriken isn't AM4 compatible.

Geomancer

Minimal Tinkerer
Oct 7, 2017
I was initially planning on Ryzen but will definitely go Coffee Lake as I'd be looking at I3 or I5 and those are very similarly priced to their Ryzen counterparts. I'd also think that Coffee Lake would overclock higher at a lower heat output than Ryzen which would mean that we might be able to get a little overclocking headroom with the low profile coolers.

theGryphon

Airflow Optimizer
Jun 15, 2015
Sorry for the text wall. I've been doing some research into the best cooler that will fit into the MI-6. Most of these should be decent coolers with obviously the larger the better. I'm going to test the Raijintek PALLAS when I eventually receive my case if anyone wants to know if it will actually fit.

92mm Class
  • Noctua NH-L9x65 65mm
  • Cryorig C7 47mm

100mm class
  • Reeven Brontes 59mm
  • AXP-100R 58mm

120mm Class

Can change to a better fan (NF-A12x15)
  • Deepcool Gabriel 60mm (55mm with change)
  • Reeven Steropes 60mm (62mm with change)
  • Big Shuriken 2 Rev. B 58mm (61mm with fan change)

Need to change fan to fit in case + for compatibility (NF-A12x15)
  • Be Quiet! Shadow Rock LP 65.4mm
  • Noctua NH-L12 66mm (Fan mounted on bottom will leave 28mm ram clearance or just use the 92mm fan)
  • Phanteks PH-TC12LS 64mm

140mm Class (Will touch case)
  • Raijintek PALLAS 68mm

I did a thorough research on this, going through pretty much all the reviews out there...

Pallas, NH-L12 (stock config) and BS2RevB are pretty much equivalent in cooling performance, but other things to consider in this case (I know, boring, but pun intended) lead to a conclusion that BS2RevB is the best choice:

1) NH-L12 in stock config will not fit. With the 120x15 fan, there is not only too little DIMM clearance, cooling performance will diminish significantly (will almost surely be behind the other two).

2) Pallas with its 13mm stock fan might fit, but even if it does, it will end up too close to the side panel for healthy air intake and noise. Plus, Pallas is really hefty and will have to be installed horizontally (heatpipes extending to the front panel of the case) or heatpipes extending downwards (which is not a desired orientation for cooling performance), and in either way it might not fit (hitting the front panel, or hitting the PSU). So, a lot of question marks with Pallas in this case.

3) BS2RevB will enable you to install any 15mm-thick 120mm or 140mm (with 120mm holes) fan on top, maximizing airflow with a good clearance from the side panel for noise as well. Plus, it has clearance for 39mm or 43mm (depending on the orientation) tall DIMMs. The only downside, as said above, is that it has no official Ryzen support (shame really).

For Ryzen, Steropes with the Noctua 120x15 or the Prolimatech Ultra Sleek Vortex (140x15) is gonna be my recommendation.

SIEGEX

Trash Compacter
May 19, 2017
Hey.....I gotta pre order on this case but I'm hoping to get it sent to me cheap.

I have some family in the USA is that where this case originates? If so can I get a zipcode of the area it will be sent out from? Then I can gauge postage etc cheers

firewolfy

Master of Cramming
Original poster
Nov 12, 2015
I did a thorough research on this, going through pretty much all the reviews out there...

Pallas, NH-L12 (stock config) and BS2RevB are pretty much equivalent in cooling performance, but other things to consider in this case (I know, boring, but pun intended) lead to a conclusion that BS2RevB is the best choice:

1) NH-L12 in stock config will not fit. With the 120x15 fan, there is not only too little DIMM clearance, cooling performance will diminish significantly (will almost surely be behind the other two).

2) Pallas with its 13mm stock fan might fit, but even if it does, it will end up too close to the side panel for healthy air intake and noise. Plus, Pallas is really hefty and will have to be installed horizontally (heatpipes extending to the front panel of the case) or heatpipes extending downwards (which is not a desired orientation for cooling performance), and in either way it might not fit (hitting the front panel, or hitting the PSU). So, a lot of question marks with Pallas in this case.

3) BS2RevB will enable you to install any 15mm-thick 120mm or 140mm (with 120mm holes) fan on top, maximizing airflow with a good clearance from the side panel for noise as well. Plus, it has clearance for 39mm or 43mm (depending on the orientation) tall DIMMs. The only downside, as said above, is that it has no official Ryzen support (shame really).

For Ryzen, Steropes with the Noctua 120x15 or the Prolimatech Ultra Sleek Vortex (140x15) is gonna be my recommendation.

Great work. Yeah, I have the Noctua 92mm and the BS2. Did some testing with them on the prototype about a year ago. I'll test those again on the final preproduction sample.

Hey.....I gotta pre order on this case but I'm hoping to get it sent to me cheap.

I have some family in the USA is that where this case originates? If so can I get a zipcode of the area it will be sent out from? Then I can gauge postage etc cheers

I will be shipping from zip code 85207, most likely UPS., and weight just under 4 lbs.

Reactions: Biowarejak

rfarmer

Spatial Philosopher
Jul 7, 2017

Thanks for the feedback. You recommend different fans for the Reeven Steropes, stock fans crap?

firewolfy

Master of Cramming
Original poster
Nov 12, 2015
Hey I threw some more renders on the webpage, like this one. It has the AXP-100 but with another fan on it.

Last edited:

SIEGEX

Trash Compacter
May 19, 2017
Great work. Yeah, I have the Noctua 92mm and the BS2. Did some testing with them on the prototype about a year ago. I'll test those again on the final preproduction sample.

I will be shipping from zip code 85207, most likely UPS., and weight just under 4 lbs.
Cheers for that

firewolfy

Master of Cramming
Original poster
Nov 12, 2015

CORRECTION -- I will be shipping USPS most likely, as they have the best rates.

firewolfy

Master of Cramming
Original poster
Nov 12, 2015
The UPDATE---

Got word last week that the fab house started work on the cases. No questions or news this week from them, -I'll be talking to them on Monday to see how they are doing.

We are a go for the custom front I/O that matches the original Corsair model intended for the case, but with Much shorter cables, 30cm vs 50cm.
Had to keep some length to them, so there will be no problems reaching any MB. But easier to route.

For those who choose the front I/O, there will be no rear power button, just the opening These 2 caps will be supplied with the case to cover the opening. The cap on the left will allow running any cables out, and the one on the right will have a nice flat finish.

ignsvn

By Toutatis!
SFFn Staff
Apr 4, 2016

firewolfy

Master of Cramming
Original poster
Nov 12, 2015
A quick note -- In discussions with a pre-order signee, I realized that I had an error on the sign up form: The case can only hold 2 quick-release drive mounting brackets. I had listed 3 max on the form. I have corrected it.

Only 1 customer has signed up for more than 1 of the mounting bracket, so it isn't a big deal, but just wanted to make it clear.

(The 3rd bracket mounting position, on front wall at top, was replaced by the direct mounting holes for 2 drives there).

firewolfy

Master of Cramming
Original poster
Nov 12, 2015
Thanks for the updates.

Any chance they have low profile / slim ribbon cables like these?
- https://www.moddiy.com/products/USB-3.0-20%2dPin-Internal-Header-Adapter-Cable-(Low-Profile-Connector).html.
- https://www.moddiy.com/products/USB{47}AC97{47}HD%2dAudio-Motherboard-Internal-Front-Panel-Cable.html

Would be easier to work with.

What's the diameter of the hole btw? I'm considering to create a DC output (from Molex) to power small portable monitor.

I had tried to get the I/O board designed with flat USB cables, but that was not an option. On the audio and power cables, the wires are pretty small, so I have them in black sleeving to keep them neat, and so the various insulation colors won't show.

The bare opening is 16.3mm, and the grommet opening is approximately 10mm.

ignsvn

By Toutatis!
SFFn Staff
Apr 4, 2016
All these technical questions and I forgot to register on the MI-6's interest list on the website.

Anyway, done & registered!

firewolfy

Master of Cramming
Original poster
Nov 12, 2015
My sheet metal fabricator said they are completing all the punching today and will do the bending tomorrow on the pre-production samples. That will be followed by black anodizing, which take until mid next week. The good news is that since they are all local, I can run by take a look at them before they truck them over to me. I have a requirement in the PO to get me a full dimensional report and an onsite visual inspection before I take delivery of them.

I had a request for some pics of power buttons to see how they will look.

Here is the rear power button installed in the old first prototype MI-6 case. It is a 16mm button. A few things have changed on the back of the case such as venting, but maybe you can get a feel for how it will look.

Next is the front I/O power button. The button is 3D printed white nylon that is polished but still a matte finish. The bezel ring around it is 3D printed black nylon. Here are pics and models, and a mock up in a previous-gen front panel. Boy, blue LEDs and cameras sure don't like each other. Pretty tough to get any kind of detail around the blue light.

And here is the 3D printed button and bezel ring mocked up in an old prototype front plate:

firewolfy

Master of Cramming
Original poster
Nov 12, 2015
As of this evening, there are pre-orders for 60 cases. I plan to size the first run to meet all the orders, and it looks like it should be over the 50-case threshold to get the case price down $10. Not a huge savings, but still about 5%.

Pre-ordering will be open through next week at least, when I will get the pre-production samples, and make any design adjustments. Then I will notify everyone who pre-ordered to send payment. After that the final build quantity will be defined and production started.

Shipping looks on track to be a max of $25 in the US, and a max of around $50 globally (I won't ship to places like N Korea and Iran). I am working hard on keeping the shipping weight at 4 lbs or less, to get the best shipping cost. There is a chance the weight might be just over 4 lbs, which means shipping costs will increase $4-10, depending on location. I will run a test shipment with one of the samples to finalize the weight.

That's all I have right now. Be careful out there. -Fire