Completed The MI-6 Microtower Case: Performance in 6.7L

rfarmer

Spatial Philosopher
Jul 7, 2017
That is great news Fire. I am patiently (cough, cough) waiting for the release of the MI-6, if you need a volunteer to ship a sample case to you could probably twist my arm. ;)

Reactions: firewolfy

ignsvn

By Toutatis!
SFFn Staff
Apr 4, 2016
Hi @firewolfy;

I read test result here on one of the Custom_MOD FLEX build: Custom_MOD FLEX mini

He got some considerable temperature decrease on the GPU with part of the front panel opened. Based on this test, he suggested that vent holes could be added on the front panel to improve temperature.

In short, this is one of those usual trade-offs between aesthetic VS performance.

What do you (and others) think of this? Or is the bottom fan effective enough to give similar temperature decrease? (Say I use the bottom fan as exhaust - to let out hot air from GPU).

Anyway, a similar testing on MI-6 would be interesting :)

firewolfy

Master of Cramming
Original poster
Nov 12, 2015
Hi @firewolfy;

I read test result here on one of the Custom_MOD FLEX build: Custom_MOD FLEX mini

He got some considerable temperature decrease on the GPU with part of the front panel opened. Based on this test, he suggested that vent holes could be added on the front panel to improve temperature.

In short, this is one of those usual trade-offs between aesthetic VS performance.

What do you (and others) think of this? Or is the bottom fan effective enough to give similar temperature decrease? (Say I use the bottom fan as exhaust - to let out hot air from GPU).

Anyway, a similar testing on MI-6 would be interesting :)

The case is certainly wide open in his test, and the temps are nice. I have not tested a 1080, just a Gigabyte 1070. I will be repeating testing with the 1070 when I get the final samples. The bottom fan has been helping a lot, and testing should show that.

Speaking of samples. Got word from my fabricator on Friday that they are a bit behind. Everything matches up together, but they were finishing installing pem nuts and powdercoating the chassis, and the outside cover and top were being sent out to the anodizer. Bottom line is that instead of being done yesterday, they are now shooting for next Fri Nov 3.

I am seeing if they will be able to expedite the production run so the cases can still be done before Christmas. I'll let you know when I know more.

ignsvn

By Toutatis!
SFFn Staff
Apr 4, 2016
The case is certainly wide open in his test, and the temps are nice. I have not tested a 1080, just a Gigabyte 1070. I will be repeating testing with the 1070 when I get the final samples. The bottom fan has been helping a lot, and testing should show that.

Speaking of samples. Got word from my fabricator on Friday that they are a bit behind. Everything matches up together, but they were finishing installing pem nuts and powdercoating the chassis, and the outside cover and top were being sent out to the anodizer. Bottom line is that instead of being done yesterday, they are now shooting for next Fri Nov 3.

I am seeing if they will be able to expedite the production run so the cases can still be done before Christmas. I'll let you know when I know more.

Yea was thinking if some front exhaust holes can help to decrease temp even lower.

All is well for me, nothing to worry about the delays.

eggDK

Average Stuffer
Mar 14, 2016
I can't really imagine the MI6 with holes in the front, I think it would ruin the simplistic look. Actually it might bring back the toaster associations... That said, I wouldn't mind it being tested(for science).
Also regarding delays, I think this was kind of expected and I'm not in a hurry, but really looking forward to seeing the samples! XD

rfarmer

Spatial Philosopher
Jul 7, 2017
I can't really imagine the MI6 with holes in the front, I think it would ruin the simplistic look. Actually it might bring back the toaster associations... That said, I wouldn't mind it being tested(for science).
Also regarding delays, I think this was kind of expected and I'm not in a hurry, but really looking forward to seeing the samples! XD

Yeah I have to agree, even if holes in the front helped with cooling I just can't see anyway that it would look good. I think with a bottom fan pushing hot air out of the case it should be fine.

I am also not surprised by the delay, a project like this is difficult to finish in a given time. My problem is I want what I want now. :p

Waiting will actually be good for me, I have pretty much decided to go with an i5 8400 for this build and I don't want Intel to force me to buy a Z370 mother board that I don't need. The H370 and B360 are supposed to release after the first of the year and I would rather wait.

Reactions: Biowarejak

rfarmer

Spatial Philosopher
Jul 7, 2017
Well so much for my well laid plans of getting an i5 8400, look what showed up on Craigslist today brand new and unopened for $250.

So looks like I will be getting a Z370 mother board after all. Seriously considering delidding this, given cooler restrictions on the MI-6 and the high temps reported for the 8700k.

ignsvn

By Toutatis!
SFFn Staff
Apr 4, 2016

An example with similar front holes: https://www.englishtaobao.net/product/559938373008/

Not a clean look like what we have with MI-6, but not a toaster either :)

firewolfy

Master of Cramming
Original poster
Nov 12, 2015
Does anyone know what the rather square cut out next to the front IO cut out is used for?

Mackan,
Sorry, I guess I haven't talked about that. If this front rectangular cutout is what you are talking about:

I added it to make it easier to view the PSU connectors when installing cables, and just to help when routing cables.

Last edited:

firewolfy

Master of Cramming
Original poster
Nov 12, 2015
Well so much for my well laid plans of getting an i5 8400, look what showed up on Craigslist today brand new and unopened for $250.

So looks like I will be getting a Z370 mother board after all. Seriously considering delidding this, given cooler restrictions on the MI-6 and the high temps reported for the 8700k.

That is an awefully sweet cpu. Has 6 cores and great single thread performance per Passmark. Thought my 6700k was all that, darn it.

I noticed it has same 95w rating as my 6700k (stock clock), and mine works fine in the first gen prototype case. So there should be hope for it staying cool....

eggDK

Average Stuffer
Mar 14, 2016
De-lid, de-lid, de-lid!!! Yeaah;) Before upgrading from my 3770k, I have to de-lid just to see how much I can squeeze out of it together with my LP53..

rfarmer

Spatial Philosopher
Jul 7, 2017
That is an awefully sweet cpu. Has 6 cores and great single thread performance per Passmark. Thought my 6700k was all that, darn it.

I noticed it has same 95w rating as my 6700k (stock clock), and mine works fine in the first gen prototype case. So there should be hope for it staying cool....

Looking at all the cooler options I am planning on the Scythe Big Shuriken 2, think that will be my best option in the MI-6.

De-lid, de-lid, de-lid!!! Yeaah;) Before upgrading from my 3770k, I have to de-lid just to see how much I can squeeze out of it together with my LP53..

I am planning to delid, I have been watching the Sentry and Dan A4-SFX and there are people having some serious cooling problems with the 8700k and 50mm coolers. I know I have better options in the MI-6 but I am not the type that is happy with 80C load temps.