Completed The MI-6 Microtower Case: Performance in 6.7L

firewolfy

Master of Cramming
Original poster
Nov 12, 2015
Quick note--
I updated the first page and the webpage with the latest timing of an early Nov production kickoff.

Revenant

Christopher Moine - Senior Editor SFF.N
Revenant Tech
SFFn Staff
Apr 21, 2017
Looking at all the cooler options I am planning on the Scythe Big Shuriken 2, think that will be my best option in the MI-6.

I am planning to delid, I have been watching the Sentry and Dan A4-SFX and there are people having some serious cooling problems with the 8700k and 50mm coolers. I know I have better options in the MI-6 but I am not the type that is happy with 80C load temps.

Then you'll be real unhappy with the 90C I rountinely get on my 8700 non-k which is TDP limited to 65 watts. The L9i is not a good cooler choice. I plan to move my system from the A4-SFX to the MI-6 and put in a better cooler.

Reactions: Biowarejak

rfarmer

Spatial Philosopher
Jul 7, 2017
Then you'll be real unhappy with the 90C I rountinely get on my 8700 non-k which is TDP limited to 65 watts. The L9i is not a good cooler choice. I plan to move my system from the A4-SFX to the MI-6 and put in a better cooler.

When I get my mother board I am going to install it in my Ncase initially, I have a Dark Rock TF I use with that. The Dark Rock is a 220w TDP cooler so I think it should handle it ok. Depending on what kind of temps I get I may have to leave it in the Ncase and put my 6600k in the MI-6, only time will tell.

If temps are too unreasonable I had my Ncase fully water cooled for a year and still have all the parts, makes it a pain to get at anything but I will switch back to water cooling if that is what it takes to get temps under control.

Revenant

Christopher Moine - Senior Editor SFF.N
Revenant Tech
SFFn Staff
Apr 21, 2017
When I get my mother board I am going to install it in my Ncase initially, I have a Dark Rock TF I use with that. The Dark Rock is a 220w TDP cooler so I think it should handle it ok. Depending on what kind of temps I get I may have to leave it in the Ncase and put my 6600k in the MI-6, only time will tell.

If temps are too unreasonable I had my Ncase fully water cooled for a year and still have all the parts, makes it a pain to get at anything but I will switch back to water cooling if that is what it takes to get temps under control.

The NCASE should be fine with the Dark Rock. I have a 6700K OCed to 4.6GHZ in an NCASE with a C1 cooler and it's fine.

I think at 65mm of clearance you'll be ok in the MI-6. It may run high 70s to low 80s.

Jino

Efficiency Noob
Nov 2, 2017
Hi Fire.

Thank you for your usual hard work.
Well, I made some preparations before a nice case arrives.

PSU : CORSAIR SF600
PSU cable : CORSAIR CP-8920202 (sleeved short)
CPU Cooler : DEEPCOOL Gabriel (heatsink 40mm)
CPU Cooler Fan : Noctua NF-F12 PWM (120x120x25mm)
Case Fan : Noctua NF-A9x14 PWM (92x92x14mm)

I'm waiting at the other side of the sea.
It may be the time when waiting is the happiest time.
See you.

firewolfy

Master of Cramming
Original poster
Nov 12, 2015
Hi Fire.

See you.

Nice collection! You know, I haven't tried that Gabriel, but it looks sweet -and it is asymmetric so you can mount it whichever way will work best.

firewolfy

Master of Cramming
Original poster
Nov 12, 2015
While I'm waiting for the samples to be built, it might be a good time to verify I have everyone's correct contact information (for the 63 pre-orders so far).
Everyone who has signed up on the pre-order form should have received a confirmation email from me within a few days after you placed your pre-order.

I only got 1 bounce back for an invalid email addy (a David B from Sweden), so if you are David B from Sweden or not sure you received my confirmation, please go ahead and send me a PM. Then I can
check into it and make sure everything is peachy.

Thanks

LeMoNH3aD

Average Stuffer
Oct 25, 2017
Did you go with the DEEPCOOL Gabriel because you can stack a 25mm thick fan on top of it?

Hi Fire.

See you.

firewolfy

Master of Cramming
Original poster
Nov 12, 2015
Update on timing and payment handling:

Payment collection will be kicked off about a week after I receive the pre-production samples, when I've had a chance to review them, do a build and get pics up on the webpage and forums. I'm still waiting on the fabricator to get the pre-production parts done, so we are a minimum of probably 1 1/2 weeks away from being ready to take payments.

When payment collection is ready to start, I'll first email everyone who made a pre-order that they can make their payment, so they will have a head start to finish up their order. Then I'll publicize it and take any additional orders. I don't think there will be any availability issues, since the production qty will be flexible, but I owe it to everyone who pre-ordered to help make it a stress-free process.

I'll be taking payments and shipping info thru the casebycasedesign.com webpage. Credit card and paypal will be both be available, and the webpage will automatically calculate shipping for your location. The payment window will be open for a set number of days. I don't know exactly how long, but I'm leaning toward a 7 day window, then kick off the production batch.

Sorry about the sample run taking so long. The parts should have been in my hands a couple weeks ago. This sample run is taking so long, I wonder if the big guy is trying to teach me patience, lol.

Take care,
Fire

rfarmer

Spatial Philosopher
Jul 7, 2017
Yeah I have to agree, I was ready at the beginning of Oct to make payment and hoping this case would be ready to ship in Dec. Guess I will just hope it comes soon in the new year.

Thanks for the update Fire, can't wait to see the prototype.

LeMoNH3aD

Average Stuffer
Oct 25, 2017
Thank you for the update! Although I am very anxious to start my next build, I definitely don't want a rushed final product. Also...maybe the RX Vega Nano will drop around the same time the case is ready to ship.

Last edited:

Jonny727272

Airflow Optimizer
Feb 26, 2017
Thank you for the update! Although I am very anxious to start my next build, I definitely don't want a rushed final product. Also...maybe the RX Vega Nano will drop around the same time the case is ready to ship.
Even if it does, I'm betting it'll cost way too much and put out way too much heat. Probably better off with a 1080 mini from Gigabyte :/

ignsvn

By Toutatis!
SFFn Staff
Apr 4, 2016
Even if it does, I'm betting it'll cost way too much and put out way too much heat. Probably better off with a 1080 mini from Gigabyte :/

I have the same concern. As much as I want to support AMD (for competition sake), historically their GPUs use much more power & dump more heat.

Edit: my last AMD GPU was Sapphire Radeon HD 7770. Damn cool & quiet, but that's only because it's a low end GPU, and Sapphire put a big a$$ cooler on it.

W1NN1NG

King of Cable Management
Jan 19, 2017
Fire just a quick question, would it be possible to fit a 92mm rad and fan down there in the case of not using an sfx psu?

firewolfy

Master of Cramming
Original poster
Nov 12, 2015
Fire just a quick question, would it be possible to fit a 92mm rad and fan down there in the case of not using an sfx psu?

Well the space there is 125mm wide by 190 deep. If you have the front I/O, it takes away some depth and you get about 140.

You'd have to check the radiator dims, I think double radiators tend to be more than 190 deep. I saw a single 120mm radiator by Alphacool that will ft.