Completed The MI-6 Microtower Case: Performance in 6.7L

Jonny727272

Airflow Optimizer
Feb 26, 2017
Wow, @firewolfy seeing the similarity in height and width is crazy. I thought that since you have the PSU on the bottom it would be a lot taller, but it's virtually the same. Thank you Soo much for those renders, I really appreciate it :)

ignsvn

By Toutatis!
SFFn Staff
Apr 4, 2016
I think the width is so that MI-6 has direct PSU out (no internal power cable required), 92mm case fan, as well as supporting up to 65mm tall CPU coolers. (68mm side panel clearance, so perhaps there's a wiggle room for, say the current Noctua NH-L12 single fan)

rfarmer

Spatial Philosopher
Jul 7, 2017
I think the width is so that MI-6 has direct PSU out (no internal power cable required), 92mm case fan, as well as supporting up to 65mm tall CPU coolers. (68mm side panel clearance, so perhaps there's a wiggle room for, say the current Noctua NH-L12 single fan)

That is my hope as well, to use the Noctua NH-L12. But we might need to hurry, Noctua is replacing it with the NH-L12S which is 70mm and would be too tall.

ignsvn

By Toutatis!
SFFn Staff
Apr 4, 2016
That is my hope as well, to use the Noctua NH-L12. But we might need to hurry, Noctua is replacing it with the NH-L12S which is 70mm and would be too tall.

Luckily I already own one NH-L12 :)

Anyway, there are other good coolers <= 65mm too, so you'll have options here.

rfarmer

Spatial Philosopher
Jul 7, 2017
Luckily I already own one NH-L12 :)

Anyway, there are other good coolers <= 65mm too, so you'll have options here.

That was one of the first things that caught my interest with the MI-6 was the cooler clearance. I really liked the look of the Dan A4-SFX but that 50mm cooler clearance just wasn't going to cut it. It is amazing the better selection and cooling capability of coolers when you add 15mm.

If I can't get the original Noctua NH-L12 I will probably just go with the Scythe Big Shuriken, looks to cool very well.

Reactions: Biowarejak

ignsvn

By Toutatis!
SFFn Staff
Apr 4, 2016
That was one of the first things that caught my interest with the MI-6 was the cooler clearance. I really liked the look of the Dan A4-SFX but that 50mm cooler clearance just wasn't going to cut it. It is amazing the better selection and cooling capability of coolers when you add 15mm.

If I can't get the original Noctua NH-L12 I will probably just go with the Scythe Big Shuriken, looks to cool very well.

I guess the keyword here is "compromise", where MI-6 is a compromise of:

- Relatively small dimension & footprint.
- Bottom fan holder = moar airflow, be it in or out.
- Amount of storage.
- Supports dual slots, full-height ITX GPU (at least more options than single slot or half-height GPUs)

I agree that if you heavily use your CPU or live in a hot area, a good CPU cooler is a must.

(Dang I remember my P4 Prescott days... stock Intel CPU fan was so loud even when browsing. And my PC case was under the table. That's the first time I tried a 3rd party CPU cooler, which was a Thermaltake Silent Tower. Only slightly better temp but way less noise)

firewolfy

Master of Cramming
Original poster
Nov 12, 2015
Status Update --
  • Fabrication shop working on the pre-production samples, says they are still working to the 4-5wk they quoted and can't expedite much. So should be about 2wks left now.
  • Case pre-orders at 43.
  • Webpage is close to done, should be able to launch this week (!)

rfarmer

Spatial Philosopher
Jul 7, 2017
Status Update --
  • Fabrication shop working on the pre-production samples, says they are still working to the 4-5wk they quoted and can't expedite much. So should be about 2wks left now.
  • Case pre-orders at 43.
  • Webpage is close to done, should be able to launch this week (!)

All good news, really looking forward to seeing the pre-production samples and the web page.

firewolfy

Master of Cramming
Original poster
Nov 12, 2015
The web page for the MI-6 is up! HERE We will still use the google form for pre-ordering for this upcoming production run, but the webpage has information, specifications and gallery. My plan is to update it with all the final prototype pics when it is done.

Jonny727272

Airflow Optimizer
Feb 26, 2017
Congratulations @firewolfy! The site looks amazing and I can't wait to see build pics up in there. Going off the wording on your website, it sounds like you have plans to build/design other cases?

firewolfy

Master of Cramming
Original poster
Nov 12, 2015
Congratulations @firewolfy! The site looks amazing and I can't wait to see build pics up in there. Going off the wording on your website, it sounds like you have plans to build/design other cases?
Thx for the feedback, and yes that will be a good place to have build photos. But, talk of other cases? Let's not get crazy, lol, --take this on a case by case basis...

NoSk0pz

Average Stuffer
Apr 3, 2017
what's the current number of pre-orders? if they reach 50 will the price drop? would you go over 50?

edit: i'm kind of digging the brushed aluminum look

firewolfy

Master of Cramming
Original poster
Nov 12, 2015
I'm curious about the CPU cooler tolerances. There's a 140mm based low profile CPU cooler called the Raijintek Pallas that scrapes in at 68mm. I wonder if it would fit?

http://www.raijintek.com/en/products_detail.php?ProductID=9
That is a good looking cooler, but 68mm will touch the outer case. Probably get some wind noise and some buzz. I've never tried to install a 140mm cooler on a mITX MB, so I don't know about clearances to memory, sound cards (Asus Maximus I'm looking at you).

theGryphon

Airflow Optimizer
Jun 15, 2015
I believe the best cooler for the MI-6 is Scythe Big Shuriken 2 Rev B. 58mm with stock 12mm fan. If anyone buys it, my recommendation is to replace the stock fan with either Noctua 120x15, or rather Prolimatech 140x15 Ultra Vortex Slim (which won't fit inside the indented fan cutout, so the total height will reach about 63mm).

Reactions: cmyk78