The lab is open: Introducing SFFLAB, an international marketplace by and for enthusiasts

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wahaha360

a.k.a W360
SFFLAB
NCASE
SSUPD
Feb 23, 2015
No Kimera Industries partnership? :p

No, at least not for now. With respect to KI I am unilaterally focused on bringing Cerberus and Cerberus X to market as they are, as quickly as possible. There may be an opportunity in the future to marry the two projects in some way, but there are no plans to share in that respect.

Don't worry, I will be nudging @PlayfulPhoenix to get Kimera Industries integrated into SFFLAB asap ;)

Cerberus and Cerberus X are creative expression of @Aibohphobia and @PlayfulPhoenix. For future projects, where SFFLAB is part of the creative process, it makes more sense for those projects to be part of the lab.

For the upcoming NFC and DAN products, we gave input to improve the product, that's also why these products are on SFFLAB. The goal for the lab has always been to create unique products. So products in the lab should be different than what is available elsewhere.

Last edited:

SumGhai

Cable-Tie Ninja
Jun 14, 2016
I've been out of touch here for a long time, but I saw the SFF Lab announcement and I'm thoroughly excited to see how it grows!

Reactions: AleksandarK

PlayfulPhoenix

Founder of SFF.N
Original poster
SFFLAB
Chimera Industries
Gold Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
Hey all,

I'll post the URL to the Discord chat later today, but if you have questions for us but don't anticipate being able to join in, feel free to post them here and we'll address them during the AMA!

A recording of the AMA will be shared here after we finish the event.

SilverFox18

Trash Compacter
Sep 29, 2017
Not sure if this is a valid question - but here goes…

I see some great (world class) design development work, which gets well and truly honed by this forum, takes a 'while' to get to 'Kickstarter (or similar)' level… and then it fails to reach funding target. Judging by the feedback some of these projects receive during their 'gestation' - truly these projects are your 'babies' :) - the many stated intentions to buy… I am really surprised that they fail…

Does the Kickstarter 'process/cycle' hamstring projects in some way?

Which leads me onto whether SFFLAB might consider an alternative funding 'structure/mechanism' that could be born (there is that analogy again!) and supported in some way by the very enthusiastic SFF Forum membership…? Probably all sorts of issues - but I would like to see more projects be successful, get to market quicker and be a lot less stressful and a 'slog' for the designers… huge respect for them

Thanks for all the fantastic work :thumb:
- SFFLAB is going to be great success and look forward to catching up on the AMA tomorrow morning
Cheers :D

robbee

King of Cable Management
n3rdware
Bronze Supporter
Sep 24, 2016
When recording of the AMA would be available ?

Or any kind of written recap for us EU users? I can see the questions that've been asked in discord but no way to know the answers :(

Wasim

Trash Compacter
Nov 13, 2017
Ok, People may find this odd but I am not interested in using graphics card in my s4m build. I would either install 10gig nic or intel optane ssd ( single pcie slot ). This would leave empty mounting space (which otherwise graphics card would have filled it). Correct me if I am wrong but I don't think s4m come with any placeholder ( bracket ).

To fill the empty slot what should I do? Can anyone point which bracket should I buy to fill the gap ? I am assuming I would need a full sized bracket not a low profile one?

Thanks.

Choidebu

"Banned"
Aug 16, 2017
Ok, People may find this odd but I am not interested in using graphics card in my s4m build. I would either install 10gig nic or intel optane ssd ( single pcie slot ). This would leave empty mounting space (which otherwise graphics card would have filled it). Correct me if I am wrong but I don't think s4m come with any placeholder ( bracket ).

To fill the empty slot what should I do? Can anyone point which bracket should I buy to fill the gap ? I am assuming I would need a full sized bracket not a low profile one?

Thanks.
Got an even better idea for you.
Sell the included riser, buy a bifurcation riser, put both your nic AND your optane.

Wasim

Trash Compacter
Nov 13, 2017
Got an even better idea for you.
Sell the included riser, buy a bifurcation riser, put both your nic AND your optane.

That is an interesting idea. I will wait to see which motherboard/cpu I buy. If I go with intel platform, I would have to get optane so that I have dedicated pcie bandwidth ( without choking the PCH ) . But if I go with AMD, I will just throw in Samsung 960 EVO/PRO m.2 ( without worrying about PCH bandwidth ) . I like AMD platform , in AMD architecture M.2 pcie lanes directly goes to cpu .

Lets see, first I need to get my hands on S4M :)
Thanks.

Halfdan

Average Stuffer
Sep 5, 2015
It's nice that multiple products are available from one website, but for EU users shipping from US or Taiwan still means duties which makes things expensive. Hopefully they will be able to offer these products directly within EU some day.

Last edited:
Reactions: bledha

Dubnobass

Average Stuffer
Sep 9, 2017
Just made my first purchase from the lab! Kmpkt 360 has some nice pics up, are there dates for this unit or is that something you guys either don't know or can not disclose?

Wahaha360

a.k.a W360
SFFLAB
NCASE
SSUPD
Feb 23, 2015
Guys, I broke the website, you should not have been able to take orders.

I thought I disabled payments, but PayPal orders slip through. I will make adjustments / refunds (A4, M1) within 24 hours.

Wahaha360

a.k.a W360
SFFLAB
NCASE
SSUPD
Feb 23, 2015
S4M orders will be honored, extra shipping paid should be refunded, b/c shipping should have been lower for most countries.

Kmpkt

Innovation through Miniaturization
KMPKT
Feb 1, 2016
Just made my first purchase from the lab! Kmpkt 360 has some nice pics up, are there dates for this unit or is that something you guys either don't know or can not disclose?

Hoping to have it ready to ship inside of two weeks.

Reactions: Biowarejak
Status
Not open for further replies.