The lab is open: Introducing SFFLAB, an international marketplace by and for enthusiasts

Discussion in 'General' started by PlayfulPhoenix, Nov 13, 2017.

1. PlayfulPhoenix

PlayfulPhoenix Just another human
    Thread Starter Site Staff Kimera Industries SFFLAB

#1 PlayfulPhoenix, Nov 13, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 17, 2017
    [​IMG]

EDIT: November 17, 2017

I'm thrilled to be able to officially unveil a project that I've been working on for some time now.

A while ago, Dan and I were talking shop about case manufacturing, and the conversation inevitably pivoted towards how hard it was to sell and scale our work. We knew instinctively that our enclosures (and those of our contemporaries) had the potential to benefit many, many enthusiasts - but we were also intimately aware of how hard it was for a small upstart to break into the marketplace. If only there was a platform that could support and promote this work, we imagined, then perhaps we could finally proliferate our values of quality and focused design beyond the small form factor landscape.

Well, we've done more than imagine. Today, we can finally begin to share an experimental solution we've made to solve this problem. Dubbed SFFLAB (or 'the lab' colloquially), this website is meant to be an international marketplace that features a curated collection of enclosures and related hardware, made by and for enthusiasts. More than that, though, SFFLAB is a platform that - in the long run - will leverage collaboration and community engagement to amplify and promote the sorts of projects that have transformed the small form factor community.

As a part of this launch, I am honored to be able to share our starting roster of partners for this endeavor. From day one, we're excited to announce that we'll be opening up pre-ordering of NFC's S4 Mini on 11/24. We will also soon be selling wares from NCASE, DAN Cases, and KMPKT as well, with dates for those sales to come. Through our direct partnerships with these brands, SFFLAB will soon be promoting and selling the fantastic enclosures, power supplies and other accessories that these enthusiasts have crafted. And this is just the start - we have more to come in our pipeline, and our ambition spans well beyond the products you can see on our website today.

To be sure, our launch today is but a small step. Our ambition is to empower enthusiasts - operationally and financially - to realize the next amazing products only they can invent, at a grand scale. This will require more than a storefront. A lot more. It will also require the sort of experimentation that will bring with it successes and failures alike.

But we'll be throwing ourselves at this challenge, and trying to make it work. Because if we can support the projects of our fellow enthusiasts, and bridge the boundaries to market entry, we can accelerate innovation and make our community - and our lives - all the better from it.

So, welcome to the lab. We can't wait to show you what's next.

- Joshua

2. PlayfulPhoenix

#2 PlayfulPhoenix, Nov 13, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 17, 2017
    On 11/20/17, Dan and Joshua will be hosting a public AMA with the small form factor community on Discord! Please join in as we discuss the vision and goals for SFFLAB, and answer questions from participants.

To access the AMA, look for the link to be posted on our thread at SFF Forum on 11/20. The AMA will begin at 7:30 PM EST.

zovc likes this.
  3. VegetableStu

VegetableStu King of Cable Management

:eek: what's this? build simulator?

AleksandarK and WadeAK78 like this.
  4. PlayfulPhoenix

It's a project that is outside of my work for Minutiae and Kimera.

It's a collaboration with others.

That's all I'll say, for now ;)

5. NFSxperts

NFSxperts Average Stuffer

Is this the same lab that's making the custom windowed sidepanels for NCASE m1?

6. no_one

no_one 1ΜΆ
    Gold Supporter

7. confusis

confusis Writer, Editor, Awesome Person
    Site Staff

At this rate, PlayfulPhoenix will have a full rainbow of banners XD

I'm interested to see what this is all about - I'll mark the 18th down in my diary. (Damn you USA for being almost a day behind me!)

8. |||

||| King of Cable Management

Small Form Flab...damn it, another dietary supplement o_O

AleksandarK, Biowarejak and WadeAK78 like this.
  9. Phuncz

Phuncz Spatial Philosopher
    Moderator Gold Supporter

Can't wait to see the reveal ! Isn't that the date the Cerberus is released for pre-order ? :eek:

WadeAK78, AleksandarK and Biowarejak like this.
  10. Biowarejak

Biowarejak Maker of Awesome
    Silver Supporter

Signed up for the email notification :)

AleksandarK likes this.
  11. AleksandarK

AleksandarK Master of Cramming
    Mini-ITX.com

I am in whatever it is.

Biowarejak likes this.
  12. ondert

ondert SFF Lingo Aficionado

I trust this forum's works, so, I'm in too.

Biowarejak and AleksandarK like this.
  13. confusis

Site Staff

FYI all: Whatever this is (even I don't know), It's unrelated to SFFn, SFF Forum or Minutiae Media.

stree, Choidebu, Soul_Est and 3 others like this.
  14. smitty2k1

smitty2k1 Caliper Novice

Oh hey I see you're just down the road from me!

AleksandarK and Biowarejak like this.
  15. Choidebu

Choidebu SFF Lingo Aficionado

Uh-huh *wink*

AleksandarK likes this.
  16. confusis

Site Staff

I'm 100% serious that there is no relation here.

WadeAK78 and AleksandarK like this.
  17. Choidebu

Thought you're joking there. But the knowing bit too? You're also in the dark on this?

18. Biowarejak

Biowarejak Maker of Awesome
    Silver Supporter

Yeah it seems super outta the blue. I mean the logo isn't even SFF Forum blue. :)

WadeAK78 and AleksandarK like this.
  19. AleksandarK

AleksandarK Master of Cramming
    Mini-ITX.com

I think it is probably some kind of Cloud Computing platform. Probably IaaS.

20. Choidebu

But if you squint really hard SFF Forum logo outline is also a hexagon. But with a square middle.

Nah, man. It's more like CaaS (Cases-and-friends as a Service