The Goliath MINI- Fully customizable, affordable, and elegant. We need your feedback

iFreilicht

FlexATX Authority
Feb 28, 2015
freilite.com
Yeah that's definitely a thought. I can only image the work it will take to design a riser of my own (either that or pay a bunch to get someone else to do that). Right now I'm working on refining the design into a more console-sized package.

As QinX said, if you want a rigid riser, either talk to him or take a look at some of the readily available ones.
Don't even start to think about designing a flexible one for yourself! If you don't have experience with high frequency applications and EMI shielding, it's going to take you forever. I tried to design a decent front audio panel for my case and put that on hold because it was too complicated when signal quality was factored in.
LiHeat is indeed the way to go because they make custom length risers even in small batches and they aren't as expensive as 3M.

Of course, the cheapest riser is always the one you don't use.

Edward78

Airflow Optimizer
Jun 16, 2015
What about a L connector for the GPU power then the case could be 5 inches tall right & the L connetor would plug in to the GPU power plug & make it where the PSU wire can plug in to the other end... Would that mess up the power in any way though?

iFreilicht

FlexATX Authority
Feb 28, 2015
freilite.com
What about a L connector for the GPU power then the case could be 5 inches tall right & the L connetor would plug in to the GPU power plug & make it where the PSU wire can plug in to the other end... Would that mess up the power in any way though?

Something like this is possible in theory and wouldn't have any negative impact on power delivery if done correctly. The PSU of the Alienware X51 even had something like that, but none of these right-angle PEG connectors are readily available as of now, so designing and manufacturing them for a single case would cost a lot and would be close to impossible to finance for an indie case designer.
Large manufacturers like Dell/Alienware can of course do that sort of thing, they've got sufficient funds.

Edward78

Airflow Optimizer
Jun 16, 2015
Good point on the $$ of doing it, hmmm... Well, I just would love a NES size case, (adjusted for mATX ofcourse & the fifth slot, so a duel width GPU can be in the end PCIe slot) & a bit higher so most GPUs will fit... It just seems odd that no one does something like that yet... Hmmm, what would you call a connector like that? Maybe they do have it...

iFreilicht

FlexATX Authority
Feb 28, 2015
freilite.com
Good point on the $$ of doing it, hmmm... Well, I just would love a NES size case, (adjusted for mATX ofcourse & the fifth slot, so a duel width GPU can be in the end PCIe slot) & a bit higher so most GPUs will fit... It just seems odd that no one does something like that yet... Hmmm, what would you call a connector like that? Maybe they do have it...

Well at that point it's hardly NES sized anymore, is it?

I'd just call them angled PCIe power connectors.

TwitchingDan

Efficiency Noob
Sep 10, 2015
Like I told you on reddit, A full Sized ODD bay would be a nice touch, because I could put a fan controller or USB hub there.

Last edited:

Edward78

Airflow Optimizer
Jun 16, 2015
A combo i/o slim ODD would be cool, but I have never heard of one... A 3.5 drive cutout could be used for a I/o panel though, you can buy them... Lain Li made a console looking case one time, it needs updates ofcourse, but I lould love one with good airflow & no other issues...

Last edited: