The Goliath MINI- Fully customizable, affordable, and elegant. We need your feedback

esplin2966

Cable-Tie Ninja
Mar 2, 2015
Wow, that's rude. I work as a computer tech so I get some extremely ignorant questions sometimes but I would never laugh at them to their face for it.

Wasn't nearly as bad, but when I first talked to a manufacturer with my fairly crude SketchUp model I definitely felt like an amateur way out of his league.

Well, I sent my design to like 200 people when I was looking for a manufacturer, so 1/200 isn't that bad.

iFreilicht

FlexATX Authority
Feb 28, 2015
freilite.com
Well, I sent my design to like 200 people when I was looking for a manufacturer, so 1/200 isn't that bad.

Also, people just do a lot of things unintentionally. The guy probably expected something manufacturable or at least close to that, so when he saw flanges that would interfere on a flat pattern, he just couldn't help himself.

Maybe he felt bad for doing so and that's why he bought you lunch in the first place. :)

esplin2966

Cable-Tie Ninja
Mar 2, 2015
Also, people just do a lot of things unintentionally. The guy probably expected something manufacturable or at least close to that, so when he saw flanges that would interfere on a flat pattern, he just couldn't help himself.

Maybe he felt bad for doing so and that's why he bought you lunch in the first place. :)

Haha, probably. To be fair, I probably would have laughed. I had no rounded corners (everything was perfect right angle), and I just had a box. Like, it's impossible to make even with casting, because you can't remove it from the mold.

Phuncz

Lord of the Boards
SFFn Staff
May 9, 2015
Doesn't get much lower profile than that :p

I have a Lian-Li with about one millimeter of slack between the top of the PCB and the case, so I have a point of reference to work from :D

EdZ

Virtual Realist
May 11, 2015
Like, it's impossible to make even with casting, because you can't remove it from the mold.
Ooh, cast-in-place PC case. Assembly your components on a frame, then cast the case around them! Probably best to cast in a two-part resin rather than metal, or all the board components will desolder themselves.

Reactions: esplin2966

esplin2966

Cable-Tie Ninja
Mar 2, 2015
Ooh, cast-in-place PC case. Assembly your components on a frame, then cast the case around them! Probably best to cast in a two-part resin rather than metal, or all the board components will desolder themselves.

This. This needs to be a thing.

|||

King of Cable Management
Sep 26, 2015

Hahaha...why don't you just make a conformal coating into a chassis? It would effectively have the volume of the components themself.

BirdofPrey

Standards Guru
Sep 3, 2015
Hmm, a solid brick of resin that happen to contain a computer.
That's grade A impact protection, there.

The downside is you upgrade it like a Mac

iFreilicht

FlexATX Authority
Feb 28, 2015
freilite.com
Haha, probably. To be fair, I probably would have laughed. I had no rounded corners (everything was perfect right angle), and I just had a box. Like, it's impossible to make even with casting, because you can't remove it from the mold.

I guess you could make that with a very large laser sinter or 3D printer, but it'd cost you a good amount of money :D

|||

King of Cable Management
Sep 26, 2015
I guess you could make that with a very large laser sinter or 3D printer, but it'd cost you a good amount of money :D

Or you can do like Parvum does and use stacked acrylic sheets screwed together, which give you sharp corners.

iFreilicht

FlexATX Authority
Feb 28, 2015
freilite.com
Or you can do like Parvum does and use stacked acrylic sheets screwed together, which give you sharp corners.

Well it was not the complete case that esplin was talking about, but the inner skeleton, and his model was of a single sheet of pastic/metal, even with acrylic that wouldn't be possible. You could plastic weld them together, I guess, if that counts :D

esplin2966

Cable-Tie Ninja
Mar 2, 2015
Well it was not the complete case that esplin was talking about, but the inner skeleton, and his model was of a single sheet of pastic/metal, even with acrylic that wouldn't be possible. You could plastic weld them together, I guess, if that counts :D

I think you can weld metal together to achieve a one-piece inner skeleton as well, at least that's what one of the manufacturers said. Obviously, it is insanely expensive, but yeah.

Edward78

Airflow Optimizer
Jun 16, 2015
What about making it where you don't need a riser & wide enough for a mATX (for those people who want more that 1 card) give it a extra exp. slot, so a duel slot GPU can still be in the last PCIe slot... I am thinking maybe a mATX SG05 & what do you think of a 3.5 bay not for a drive, but for the 3.5 i/o panels? So if a person wants firewire just get a 3.5 i/o panel with 1... Plus, that would free you up from puting a i/o panel in...

Reactions: LFO

jeshikat

Jessica. Wayward SFF.n Founder
Silver Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
but they would start to heat up so much to the point where they could start to glow.

"Our new Ultra Small Power connector, aka USB USP, not only saves space, it comes with its own built-in light source!"

Edward78

Airflow Optimizer
Jun 16, 2015
I wish protocase had a PC cutouts section, all the cutouts can be confusing... Well it only saves in it's own format anyway, the odd thing is the site has a template maker which saves formats other CAD software can read...

GoliathDesign

Efficiency Noob
Original poster
Goliath Design
Nov 3, 2015
What about making it where you don't need a riser & wide enough for a mATX (for those people who want more that 1 card) give it a extra exp. slot, so a duel slot GPU can still be in the last PCIe slot... I am thinking maybe a mATX SG05 & what do you think of a 3.5 bay not for a drive, but for the 3.5 i/o panels? So if a person wants firewire just get a 3.5 i/o panel with 1... Plus, that would free you up from puting a i/o panel in...

Yeah that's definitely a thought. I can only image the work it will take to design a riser of my own (either that or pay a bunch to get someone else to do that). Right now I'm working on refining the design into a more console-sized package.

QinX

Master of Cramming
kees
Mar 2, 2015
Yeah that's definitely a thought. I can only image the work it will take to design a riser of my own (either that or pay a bunch to get someone else to do that). Right now I'm working on refining the design into a more console-sized package.

Actually if you are looking for a rigid riser, they are not that expensive to design and make, I made one for H2O-Micro they can be quite cheap to get made. So if you really need a very specific rigid riser I can hook you up, if you want a flexible one I believe LiHeat is the way to go and @iFreilicht has a good contact and experience with them.

Edward78

Airflow Optimizer
Jun 16, 2015

Truth be told, I would love that also, but the power connector/PEG. whatever you call it needs 6 inches clearance, most GPUs are 4.5ish tall right??? The SG05 is all good, accept for the mITX only thing... I meanit be more console like, sorry for the confusing reply & the long time for a edit... :D

Last edited: