Production The First - Monsterlabo High Performance SFF case & Fanless CPU / GPU

Nord1ing

Average Stuffer
Dec 5, 2018
First version of lower skin with dust filter:

And update to fit 120mm dust filter and do not show trough main case body.

McIntyre

Efficiency Noob
Apr 20, 2019
Thanks ! I will upload it and it's nice to see your picture.

Do you have some temperature log before & after ?

Sure. I tested the same scene in Witcher 3 for one hour each:

Max CPU original skin: 76°C
Max CPU mesh skin: 64°C -> 12°C better temperatures

Max GPU original skin: 77°C
Max GPU mesh skin: 69°C -> 8°C better temperatures

Here is a graph from the measurement where you can also see that the GPU throttles with the original skin, otherwise the GPU temperature would be even higher.

yeahe - ML

Cable-Tie Ninja
Original poster
Monster Labo
Dec 19, 2017
@McIntyre Very nice results ! So you win a lot.
This is with the top mesh removed also. Can you remind me the configuration (CPU & GPU) & if possible the maximum power consumption of each component ?
This is indeed really nice improvements.
Many many thanks !

@Nord1ing Nice job !!!

@Duality92 How are things going ?

Some updates on our side.
  1. Some prototypes you are waiting for will arrive at the office tomorrow ;)
  2. We are preparing Computex. New skin will be shown with art work of Gizmo2poche.
    Monsterlabo will be of for 10 days starting the 05/23/19
  3. Configuration are still available so as some pre-prod

yeahe - ML

Cable-Tie Ninja
Original poster
Monster Labo
Dec 19, 2017
Zotac GTX 1660ti + Ryzen 1700 + Asrock H370-itx + Seasonic SGX650W - Full fanless mod + New skin (teaser)
--> Modified motheboard back plate possible and nice.
-->On the way to computex.

jol

What's an ITX?
Apr 23, 2019
Hello guys,

I just received my (a bit customised) The First - High End this week (i5 9600K + RTX 2070) !

Thanks MonsterLabo team for :
  • the quality of your advices befory I bought it,
  • building it for me,
  • the quality of the shipping package,
  • this wonderfull product !
I am so glad to have a high performance computer in a nice small case that does'nt make any noise !! (my girlfriend is also very happy about that too!!)

Performances are very good with benchmarking tools (3D Mark score : 7 792) and games !
The heat dissipation seems to work very well as shown in this graphic (case closed).

Best regards,

Last edited:
Reactions: Kooki

yeahe - ML

Cable-Tie Ninja
Original poster
Monster Labo
Dec 19, 2017
Hello guys,

I just received my (a bit customised) The First - High End this week (i5 9600K + RTX 2070) !

Thanks MonsterLabo team for :
  • the quality of your advices befory I bought it,
  • building it for me,
  • the quality of the shipping package,
  • this wonderfull product !
I am so glad to have a high performance computer in a nice small case that does'nt make any noise !! (my girlfriend is also very happy about that too!!)

Best regards,

Hi Jol !!! Many thanks for your feedback

bbalex

Chassis Packer
Nov 30, 2018
Hello, I have a few questions:

1. The 20 cm fan case accessory option was announced since the beginning, but it's still not an item available for purchase. Is this still planned to be released, and could you give a time estimate if so?
2. The small memory chip heatsinks are available as an item on the shop page, but I've never seen them in stock. Any estimates for when they will become available?

I've been delaying my purchase waiting for all the parts I'm interested in to become available, so I've been tracking the status of the items in the shop for a long time now.

And I also have a few requests:
1. Please make available the dimensions, and the positions of the mounting holes of the VRM heatsink that you are selling. If you have a CAD file for it, making it available would be great.
2. Please let us known what is the height of the memory chip heatsinks that you are selling. If buying from somewhere else (as they never seem to be in stock), what is the height you recommend those chip heatsinks should have? How much free space is there between the graphics card and the case side panel?
3. If you have a (maybe simplified) CAD file for the whole case itself, that would be great to have. Then one can get the dimensions directly from it.

In my view, the dimensions should be made available so that people can check if those dimensions are ok for their hardware parts.

For example, I am not convinced that the VRM part you are selling would fit the non-standard profile of coils, caps, and VRM controllers, and of the mounting holes on my 1080 Ti Aourus Xtreme Edition 11G . Here you can see how they look on this card, while this is how things look on the reference 1080 Ti card. The mounting hole positions are very different between the two cards that could prevent mounting the VRM at all, there are some coils on the Aorus that are not there on the reference card, and the components on the Aorus are different in size and height than on the reference card, too. Having the dimensions and the positions of mounting holes of the VRM heatsink would let me check if it fits or not before ordering. This way I could skip buying it if it doesn't fit.

yeahe - ML

Cable-Tie Ninja
Original poster
Monster Labo
Dec 19, 2017
Hello, I have a few questions:

1. The 20 cm fan case accessory option was announced since the beginning, but it's still not an item available for purchase. Is this still planned to be released, and could you give a time estimate if so?
2. The small memory chip heatsinks are available as an item on the shop page, but I've never seen them in stock. Any estimates for when they will become available?

I've been delaying my purchase waiting for all the parts I'm interested in to become available, so I've been tracking the status of the items in the shop for a long time now.

And I also have a few requests:
1. Please make available the dimensions, and the positions of the mounting holes of the VRM heatsink that you are selling. If you have a CAD file for it, making it available would be great.
2. Please let us known what is the height of the memory chip heatsinks that you are selling. If buying from somewhere else (as they never seem to be in stock), what is the height you recommend those chip heatsinks should have? How much free space is there between the graphics card and the case side panel?
3. If you have a (maybe simplified) CAD file for the whole case itself, that would be great to have. Then one can get the dimensions directly from it.

In my view, the dimensions should be made available so that people can check if those dimensions are ok for their hardware parts.

For example, I am not convinced that the VRM part you are selling would fit the non-standard profile of coils, caps, and VRM controllers, and of the mounting holes on my 1080 Ti Aourus Xtreme Edition 11G . Here you can see how they look on this card, while this is how things look on the reference 1080 Ti card. The mounting hole positions are very different between the two cards that could prevent mounting the VRM at all, there are some coils on the Aorus that are not there on the reference card, and the components on the Aorus are different in size and height than on the reference card, too. Having the dimensions and the positions of mounting holes of the VRM heatsink would let me check if it fits or not before ordering. This way I could skip buying it if it doesn't fit.

Hi BBalex, thanks for your message.
1. We just received the 20cm top fan prototypes before Computex. So we still need to test and see if there is fitting as we want.
Please note this is just prototype and we can't right now gives released date.
2. The small heatsink will be released really soon, just after Computex as NVMe heatsink

Other requests:
1. Ok I can put the CAD file on thingiverse. No problem.
2. Same for the small heatsinks. It's 11mm height for us. Just wait we are coming back from Computex for the CAD ;)
The heatpipes are covering all the GPU, so the small hetasink heights won't be an issue.
3. I understand your point. I will work on the simplified model to share.

Definitely, the compatibility question about VRM is right now the most difficult one.
We haven't made any video or user manual on it at the moment. That's why is difficult to appreciate --> Our fault !!
So what people is doing right now is to send us the configuration for us to check.
We can check you board and at first sight it seems to be ok. The height can be adjusted by colums we are providing in the package.
We have also the option to put the heatsinks for that as we are doing for the 2070 from Zotac we are selling on our shop.

To fully check, would you pleased send us a message at 'info' @ 'monsterlabo.com' with your complete configuration ?

Eduard

Trash Compacter
May 31, 2019
Hello MonsterLabo Team!
It has been a while that I'm following you and very glad that you have already at least prototype of 20cm top hat. I'm an owner of 1080Ti, so will need it =)

About news from Computex. A lot of new itx x570 motherboards were presented with huge rediators. Whitch ones will be usable without modifications?
Do you think it will be possible to remove the fan from x570 motherboads as it will get some airflow from 20cm top hat?
I'm waiting for a new AMD CPU to buy The First!

yeahe - ML

Cable-Tie Ninja
Original poster
Monster Labo
Dec 19, 2017
Hello everybody ! Last days at Computex. Such a lot of meetings and interested people from the hardware community.
We come back to you soon with the news and conclusion of the show.
@Eduard I will check the board ;) and come back to you.

@Duality92 Many thanks for your nice report.
For people who missed it, check his feedback below

Last day for special price during the show. White cases are temporary sold out, only black cases still available!!

Last edited:

Nord1ing

Average Stuffer
Dec 5, 2018
@Eduard , @yeahe - ML ,
I already ordered top hat 3d print, gonna receive it next week, i think :)

bbalex

Chassis Packer
Nov 30, 2018
Great to hear the 20 cm fan option is still planned. I am waiting for all items to become available before purchasing, which is why I did not take apart my graphics card yet, so I can't provide any measurements for VRM compatibility.

@Eduard, it looks like the ASRock x570 mITX motherboard is the only one without a fan. Previous gen x470 and B450 mITX motherboards will be just as good, I don't see any reason to pick a x570 mITX though, as all old motherboards will likely receive BIOS upgrades for the PCIe slot to run at 4.0, and it's possible that even the NVMe connected to the CPU will run at 4.0 as well. As for memory support, the memory controller is in the CPU, and the mITX boards are the easiest to drive since they only have 2 RAM slots, so there should be no limitation to memory support with the new CPUs on these old boards either. The x570 is rather underwhelming, at least when considering mITX boards.

yeahe - ML

Cable-Tie Ninja
Original poster
Monster Labo
Dec 19, 2017
Honestly regarding thermal perspective, I won't imagine this chipset having such an high TDP so the fan has to run all the time.
This would be so ridiculous at the end that the manufacturer hasn't find an other way.
So let's see what happend and also further development.

Nord1ing

Average Stuffer
Dec 5, 2018
Lower skin with dust filter and top hat with 200mm fan :)

Prime95 in-place large FFT
Without 200mm fan, 140mm fan at 50%:

With 200mm fan and 140mm fan at 50%:

Last edited:

HelloItMeMort

Minimal Tinkerer
New User
Jun 9, 2019
Also, today if you want a trully 100% Fanless case, there is only good ATX solution.

But using ATX slot isn't bad that way because it changes only some cm regarding SFX. We already have a so huge heatsink ;)
Finally you also have the space to put storage inside.

it's definity something we choose. We could have done that smaller, using external PSU for exemple but sacrifying a lot of features at the end.

Maybe next time ;)

Strongly considering this case but would probably do extensive modifications on the bottom. It's a lot of unused space. Gonna try to use a 520W Nightjar and lay it horizontally, chop off extra length and try to rebuild the bottom structure. Really really good job on the combined passive heatsink though. Just not a fan of the wasted space on bottom. Ooh, might even go smaller and use an internal DC/DC board