Production The First - Monsterlabo High Performance SFF case & Fanless CPU / GPU

yeahe - ML

Cable-Tie Ninja
Original poster
Monster Labo
Dec 19, 2017
Lower skin with dust filter and top hat with 200mm fan :)

Prime95 in-place large FFT
Without 200mm fan, 140mm fan at 50%:

With 200mm fan and 140mm fan at 50%:

This is really a nice build. Nice performance with such high power CPU. 160W !!!

yeahe - ML

Cable-Tie Ninja
Original poster
Monster Labo
Dec 19, 2017
Strongly considering this case but would probably do extensive modifications on the bottom. It's a lot of unused space. Gonna try to use a 520W Nightjar and lay it horizontally, chop off extra length and try to rebuild the bottom structure. Really really good job on the combined passive heatsink though. Just not a fan of the wasted space on bottom. Ooh, might even go smaller and use an internal DC/DC board

You can use an ATX PSU even in standard version but you can do your own. We thought at the beginning of the project using a DC/DC board but go back to use more standard solution. At the end you may be able to reduce the case by 4/5cm but I'm not sure the aesthetical proportion will be nice.

Also it reminds me that I need to add some CAD file on thingiverse !!

This is really a nice build. Nice performance with such high power CPU. 160W !!!

We will propose them to the website as "on demand". We are not thinking to stock them.
There is not sufficient volume to make a new skin on stock at the moment.
But we have few of them so if you ar interested please send us a message.

Also, we have several cases to send due to Computex. When it's done we will go back to work on options and updating the website.

Last edited:

yeahe - ML

Cable-Tie Ninja
Original poster
Monster Labo
Dec 19, 2017
Last GPU updates

Markus

Case Bender
Jun 18, 2019
Hi Monsterlabo,

I'm really into your awesome case heatsink product! To clarify some stuff before I buy:
  1. Is the Asrock Z390M-ITX/ac supported by The First? It looks like a nice ITX board -- the only component I am currently missing for doing the switch, and it seems to be part of the prebuilt Intel system.
  2. Do you support the Powercolor Vega 64 Red Devil? I assume the PCB is similar if not the same as the regular Powercolor Vega 64, but I am not quite sure (looks a lot like "all the Vega boards" and the PCB is 27 cm)
  3. Are the DIY case mods for the 20 cm fan on top and on bottom skinnable? I mean, is their outer contour the same as the case with or without skin?
  4. Would the Free custom 3D printing parts offered with the premium package include those two?
  5. Where does the PSU pull it's air from? Inside the case? And if so, isn't that bad for the air flow?
Thanks a lot! ?

Nord1ing

Average Stuffer
Dec 5, 2018
5.Are the DIY case mods for the 20 cm fan on top and on bottom skinnable? I mean, is their outer contour the same as the case with or without skin?
If you ask about 2 top and bottom mods for 200mm fans on thingivers, they have same form (but plastic) of skin as case, but useless and ugly without skin. And more, bottom enclosure was never 3d printed and tested by now; top hat defenetly need some changes, but I need to fin time to integrate them (but still, top hat works fine already).

Reactions: Markus

yeahe - ML

Cable-Tie Ninja
Original poster
Monster Labo
Dec 19, 2017
Hi Monsterlabo,

I'm really into your awesome case heatsink product! To clarify some stuff before I buy:
  1. Is the Asrock Z390M-ITX/ac supported by The First? It looks like a nice ITX board -- the only component I am currently missing for doing the switch, and it seems to be part of the prebuilt Intel system.
  2. Do you support the Powercolor Vega 64 Red Devil? I assume the PCB is similar if not the same as the regular Powercolor Vega 64, but I am not quite sure (looks a lot like "all the Vega boards" and the PCB is 27 cm)
  3. Are the DIY case mods for the 20 cm fan on top and on bottom skinnable? I mean, is their outer contour the same as the case with or without skin?
  4. Would the Free custom 3D printing parts offered with the premium package include those two?
  5. Where does the PSU pull it's air from? Inside the case? And if so, isn't that bad for the air flow?
Thanks a lot! ?

1. Yes the Asrock Z390 is a well fitting motherboard. We used it several time for our last customer build.
    Remark: You will need to move a little bit the CPU block to the back of the case to have the best fit.
  2. Yes I think that the PCB and fixture are really similar to all vega 64 board.
    But, you will need to take care about the power consumption of the board, so as putting additional heatsink for the VRM.
  3. Yes the 20CFM option that we want to launch, all the design has been made with the same philosophy.
    For the 3D version of @Nord1ing see his feedback ;)
  4. Indeed, you can have the 3D printing parts for free with premium version.
  5. The PSU is really close to the opening at the bottom. It take air from there and if the PSU fan is activated it will release at the back.
    If not activated, the heat will go up and play with the chimney effect.
    When the fan is activated, it's also means that the power cosumption is high, so the chimney effect is at the maximum and don't impact the performance.

Cheers !

quetzacoatlx

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Aug 11, 2017
The frame and structure of your work is amazing, especially the beautifulness of the huge heatsink and the orange and black colour scheme. Are you planing to design a transparent shroud to show it off?

yeahe - ML

Cable-Tie Ninja
Original poster
Monster Labo
Dec 19, 2017
The frame and structure of your work is amazing, especially the beautifulness of the huge heatsink and the orange and black colour scheme. Are you planing to design a transparent shroud to show it off?
Thans for your feedback. We designed a first version of transparent skin for computex. Indeed there will be some very limited skin available or on demand but I'm not really happy with. Even if it's a nice solution I think we go wrong showing the GPU.

I think and as you said, it would make a lot more sense to show the cooling and the structure. I'm thinking doing something more like that.

--> Focus on the cooling on both side. Maybe some mesh in the continuation in the bottom skin.

or full transparent ?

Markus

Case Bender
Jun 18, 2019
Hi Markus,
5. Take Seasonic Prime 600 Titanium Fanless - it will not pull the air at all =)

Ain't the Seasonic Fanless 600W a tad bit too big? According to Seasonic it's 170 mm (L) x 150 mm (W) x 86 mm, which is 10 mm more than The First allows.
Or can you mount the PSU sideways (lying flat)? ?

Eduard

Trash Compacter
May 31, 2019
Ain't the Seasonic Fanless 600W a tad bit too big? According to Seasonic it's 170 mm (L) x 150 mm (W) x 86 mm, which is 10 mm more than The First allows.
Or can you mount the PSU sideways (lying flat)? ?
Hm, you are right... I wanted to buy this one for my build =(

@Monsterlabo, could you please confirm that this PSU is not compatible? I'm pretty sure that I saw somewhere your builds with this PSU in the end of 2018. Or something changed or I'm mistaken?
Edit: My bad, it was a 420W PSU, not 600W.

Last edited:

Nord1ing

Average Stuffer
Dec 5, 2018
I'd say, corsair sfx 650w platinum would be a good chose.
I have 450w gold model, and with 1600 ryzen oc and gtx1080, psu fan almost never turn (i saw only under heavy stress test and if room temp go all the way up to 30C).
Only one issue, default 24pin cable is too short.

yeahe - ML

Cable-Tie Ninja
Original poster
Monster Labo
Dec 19, 2017
Hm, you are right... I wanted to buy this one for my build =(

@Monsterlabo, could you please confirm that this PSU is not compatible? I'm pretty sure that I saw somewhere your builds with this PSU in the end of 2018. Or something changed or I'm mistaken?
Edit: My bad, it was a 420W PSU, not 600W.

In fact the 420W is fitting perfectly.
The 600W can fit inside by bending the HP of the GPU and using a Riser. Also you need to take absolutely care about the cables that could touch the GPU.
So it's not recommended but it's possible. Also I want to say you won't be able to use draw 600W in fanless, not yet ;)
My choice right now for most of the build is the SGX650. This is really nice, neved heard any electronic noice and indeed I had never activated the fan.

Eduard

Trash Compacter
May 31, 2019
Hello Monsterlabo,
I'm going to buy PSU Corsair SF600 platinum. The PCIe power cable is 400mm long. Will it be enough? The SGX650 you are using has this cable 50mm long.

And do you have any updates about 20cm tophat? It is the only point blocking me from the purchase of the châssis.
Thank you in advance.

Reactions: Markus

yeahe - ML

Cable-Tie Ninja
Original poster
Monster Labo
Dec 19, 2017
Hello Monsterlabo,
I'm going to buy PSU Corsair SF600 platinum. The PCIe power cable is 400mm long. Will it be enough? The SGX650 you are using has this cable 50mm long.

And do you have any updates about 20cm tophat? It is the only point blocking me from the purchase of the châssis.
Thank you in advance.

Hello, I think the cable of the Corsair PSU won't be sufficient.
I'm using the SGX650 and it's fitting perfectly but I don't think 50mm shorter will be good.

For the Top Fan we had sincerely no time to work on it between our ordinary jobs and B2B work on the case.
I'm starting to work on this by tomorrow but for sure we will need to launch some modification.
I will put here pictures by the end of the week.
In the meantime, the 140mm can do the job ;)

Reactions: Eduard

Eduard

Trash Compacter
May 31, 2019
Hello, I think the cable of the Corsair PSU won't be sufficient.
I'm using the SGX650 and it's fitting perfectly but I don't think 50mm shorter will be good.

For the Top Fan we had sincerely no time to work on it between our ordinary jobs and B2B work on the case.
I'm starting to work on this by tomorrow but for sure we will need to launch some modification.
I will put here pictures by the end of the week.
In the meantime, the 140mm can do the job ;)

Thank you for the reply!

So in this case, I will go with SGX650. Which is even less expencise on your site than on Amazon =)

I would like to have a 20cm tophat because it should create an airflow in the gaps between the motherboard/graphics card and the chassis (will it?). It could be important for NVMe drive on the MB's back and GC...

yeahe - ML

Cable-Tie Ninja
Original poster
Monster Labo
Dec 19, 2017
Thank you for the reply!

So in this case, I will go with SGX650. Which is even less expencise on your site than on Amazon =)

I would like to have a 20cm tophat because it should create an airflow in the gaps between the motherboard/graphics card and the chassis (will it?). It could be important for NVMe drive on the MB's back and GC...

You are right, the 20CM wll be a nice option for airflow especially for the GPU VRM and back side of the Mobo.

Update: we have worked on the small heatsink features and updated the shop. NVME heatsink also available

bbalex

Chassis Packer
Nov 30, 2018
@yeahe - ML, how much will it cost to ship the 20 cm fan option at a later time to Romania?

Will it be available as a part into which we can put our 20 cm fan, or will it be available only as a part with the 20 cm fan embedded into it?

yeahe - ML

Cable-Tie Ninja
Original poster
Monster Labo
Dec 19, 2017
@yeahe - ML, how much will it cost to ship the 20 cm fan option at a later time to Romania?

Will it be available as a part into which we can put our 20 cm fan, or will it be available only as a part with the 20 cm fan embedded into it?

You will be able to buy it separately if you already have a Fan.
For Romania with DPD it's 20€