Completed STX160.0 - The most powerful ATX unit, in the world!

jeshikat

Jessica. Wayward SFF.n Founder
Original poster
Silver Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
Reactions: Phuncz

jeshikat

Original poster
Silver Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
Maybe, but there's no voltage regulation or ripple spec listed :\

czr

Chassis Packer
Oct 20, 2016
From specs they promise 4% voltage accuracy (11.52V - 12.48V)
I've sent them question about the ripple.

chx

Master of Cramming
May 18, 2016
Last edited:

jeshikat

Original poster
Silver Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
Daisy-chaining adapters to get more drive options would be an interesting project.

czr

Chassis Packer
Oct 20, 2016
@Aibohphobia, have You tried to connect gpu without powering M/2 adapter by 3.3v?
I have it connected only to 12v, an GPU doesn't give a signal.
Can the lack of 3.3v cause it?

jeshikat

Original poster
Silver Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
The GTX 1060 supposedly does not require 3.3V but now that I think about I don't think I've ever actually run it without the 3.3V.

jeshikat

Original poster
Silver Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
So Larry at HDPLEX sent me a pre-production sample of his new direct plug 160W unit to test if it can power my setup and it does!!

Excuse the mess, I had to borrow the CPU for a temp rig so I just cobbled together this setup real quick to test it.

Unfortunately I've gotten real busy so I don't think I'll have time to mess with until either this weekend or next (and Christmas falls on a weekend this year so no extra time off :()

CC Ricers

Shrink Ray Wielder
Bronze Supporter
Nov 1, 2015
Maybe it bodes well for the DC-ATX 160w which I have. I plan to purchase the same internal AC power adapter with my system and while I currently have a GTX 1050 I am hoping that there's still room to upgrade to a 1060 with that kind of power setup.

jeshikat

Original poster
Silver Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
The new direct plug would be a much safer bet for powering a system with a GTX 1060 because it's really a 200W unit and it can do the full wattage on just the 12V. It'll be called "160W" just so it matches the 160W AC-DC unit.

jeshikat

Original poster
Silver Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
I don't recall having to change any settings to get it to work.

Zackmd1

Airflow Optimizer
Jun 3, 2016
@Aibohphobia
do I need some UEFI setup to run pci-e gpu on Asrock STX board?
Fan spins, but there is no signal on display (Quadro K620)

Likely an issue with either your m.2 adapter or riser card. If you have a riser card, remove it and plug the GPU directly into the m.2 adapter.

PS: assuming you are providing adequate power to the GPU?

czr

Chassis Packer
Oct 20, 2016
Likely an issue with either your m.2 adapter or riser card. If you have a riser card, remove it and plug the GPU directly into the m.2 adapter.

PS: assuming you are providing adequate power to the GPU?

It is impossible to connect gpu directly to the adapter because of not enough space.
I'm using adapter from delock: LINK
It's powered by two bricks, 12V/5A and 3.3V (yes, whole rig is powered by 3 bricks :D)
and it seems that they do the job - with bricks connected gpu fan spins, and without external power it doesn't

jeshikat

Original poster
Silver Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
What are you using the 3.3V for? The Delock must be like the BPlus adapter and uses onboard 5V to 3.3V conversion since it uses a 4-pin Molex adapter for slot power.

TheGooseIsHere

Average Stuffer
Dec 26, 2016
I just ordered myself a bunch of new parts to build my own one of these! Can't wait...

Am thinking of using the new MSI GTX 1050 ti low profile card with it, which should be pretty decent. Still not sure what I'm going to use for a power supply, will start off with a normal psu to test it first.

May end up making a simple case out of acrylic to house all the parts.

TheGooseIsHere

Average Stuffer
Dec 26, 2016
Would like to get input from you experts about using a single 230W-ish 19V AC adapter to power both the STX motherboard and a 1050ti using a 5.25mm splitter... I had a dodgy idea which if anyone could give opinions on this that would be appreciated :)

I have made a quick illustration of my idea:

Would this work or just cause something to explode? lol

Assuming the splitter works as intended, i guess it would come down to whether the picoPSU is capable of supplying a constant 75W through the molex output, which I'm not sure it's designed for...

EDIT: DON'T do this with a cheap splitter, they usually aren't designed for high amp situations and it may burn if you use it. It's better to make your own custom splitter with high quality components.

Last edited:

jeshikat

Original poster
Silver Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
If it's a quality 230W AC adapter you won't have any issue there, you'll be well under it's maximum wattage.

I believe people have used the 12V PicoPSU to power only a video card but I'm not sure if the 19V version will be stable doing that. Most computer power supplies are designed to have load on all the rails (12V, 5V, and 3.3V) but when powering a video like I'm doing and you're proposing, it's basically a pure 12V load and I found that both the current HDPLEX 160W DC-ATX and the PICO BOX Z4-200-ATX were not stable using them like that.