Completed STX160.0 - The most powerful ATX unit, in the world!

jeshikat

Jessica. Wayward SFF.n Founder
Original poster
Silver Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
No, it may work but I don't want to spend $90 just to try since it won't fit internally anyway.

MarcParis

Spatial Philosopher
Apr 1, 2016
I remember that during my S4 mini build, @hdplex guy has come and explain that an internal power supply 250w (the same stuff as internal 160W) was under development at hd plex side.

MarcParis

Spatial Philosopher
Apr 1, 2016
Sorry for double post : stupid question : have you tried HDPlex 160W but with dell 240 or 330W powerbrick?

Based on R9 nano experience from @QinX and myself, weakest link was not DC-DC converter but AC-DC converter.

BirdofPrey

Standards Guru
Sep 3, 2015
I keep hearing about that 250W AC-DC PSU, but so far HDPlex has publicly announced nothing which I find highly disappointing

jeshikat

Original poster
Silver Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
guy has come and explain that an internal power supply 250w

They do have a 250W AC-DC in development but the issue is with the DC-ATX side of things.

weakest link was not DC-DC converter but AC-DC converter.

I've never had the AC-DC shut off, I've tested it with both the motherboard and DC-ATX hooked up to the AC-DC, and when the DC-ATX shuts off the motherboard is still running.

I keep hearing about that 250W AC-DC PSU, but so far HDPlex has publicly announced nothing which I find highly disappointing

When I talked to Larry at the beginning of August he was expecting the 250W AC-DC to launch in the Sept-Oct timeframe.

BirdofPrey

Standards Guru
Sep 3, 2015
I've seen that thread yes, but until today, there weren't any recent updates.
Again, though, I figured we'd get an update from HDPlex where there was actually something to show (ie. was close to being done)

MarcParis

Spatial Philosopher
Apr 1, 2016
They do have a 250W AC-DC in development but the issue is with the DC-ATX side of things.

I've never had the AC-DC shut off, I've tested it with both the motherboard and DC-ATX hooked up to the AC-DC, and when the DC-ATX shuts off the motherboard is still running.

When I talked to Larry at the beginning of August he was expecting the 250W AC-DC to launch in the Sept-Oct timeframe.
Understood..:) but if ac-dc is not the weakest link do you think of any solution if 160w dc-dc power supply is. Ot able to juiçe your setup...i don't see much hope, except your new supplier device..:)

jeshikat

Original poster
Silver Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
Yeah, I don't see how I can make the PICO-BOX Z4 or current HDPLEX 160W work, so I'll just hope the new HDPLEX works or I'll have to wait for the Gigabyte Mini-STX board so I can use a 12V external brick for everything.

Cutie DarkFae

Caliper Novice
May 18, 2016
To prelude: when you actually get this up and running, I want one for the teen, to confuzzle her :) The specs should be plenty good enough for her needs, and I can build my next PC with her, so she'll know what a PSU actually looks like and what it does.

jeshikat

Original poster
Silver Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
Yup, and I think we talked about it in one of the early podcasts, which is where I first heard of it actually.

Reactions: Soul_Est