Stalled Spotswood Computer Cases | DA-160 Vertical Mini-ITX/DTX Case - Zero interest. Tell me why!

Spotswood

Average Stuffer
Original poster
Spotswood Cases
Jul 18, 2015
spotswoodcomputercases.com
The DA‑160 is a vertical case designed specifically for an air cooled mini‑ITX/DTX rig.

Accepting pre-orders now! Cases are expected to ship in about 3 weeks. Orders are currently restricted to US residents only.

Features

• The motherboard is mounted vertically with the GPU bracket positioned at the top or bottom of the case. Ether way, cables exit at the bottom.
  • The PSU can be mounted virtually anywhere (vertically, horizontally, behind, or over the motherboard, etc.).
  • The location of the motherboard and GPU can be repositioned up/down, left/right, and further into the case.
  • Location of the fan/storage mounting plate can be adjusted vertically.
  • Modular case panels allows you to choose which side is the front/back/side of the case.
  • Solid side panels for quiet directed bottom-to-top airflow.
  • Matte black powder coating.
  • The C14 power inlet can be mounted anywhere along the bottom of the case (an angled C13 power cable is recommended).
  • Made in the USA by Spotswood Computer Cases, LLC.

Specifications

CPU cooler163mm (compatible with Noctua NH-D15S)
Dimensions (L x W x H)249 x 194 x 428 (20.6L). 18.9L excluding the
space at the bottom of the case to hide wires.
453mm tall including case feet.
Fan support2x 120mm at the top. Optional 120mm fan at the bottom
Graphics card355mm long, 63mm thick, 160mm wide
MotherboardMini‑ITX, mini‑DTX
Power supplyATX, SFX, SFX‑L
Storage1x 3.5"
1-2x 2.5"
Weight7 pounds
Materials1.6mm powder coated aluminum sheet
Anodized slotted extrusion
Stainless steel fasteners
16mm LED vandal switch
Soft rubber feet (25.4mm tall)

Available at Spotswood Computer Cases.

I've decided to dip my toe into the world of "SFF" cases. I designed this (admittedly large) case to house an air cooled mini-DTX motherboard (adding support for watercooling would increase the size of the case a bit more).

Specifications

Material
: Anodized aluminum extrusion and aluminum sheeting bolted together i.e. can ship flat.
Dimensions: (W x H x D): 200x 315 x 262, 16.5L
Footprint: 200x 262mm
Graphic cards support: Three-Slot GPU up to 200/225mm (with/without bottom fan)
Motherboard support: Mini-ITX and mini-DTX (90-degree motherboard mounting orientation)
Power Supply support: ATX and SFX
CPU Heatsink support: ~60mm height (ATX PSU), ~85mm height (SFX PSU)
Drives: 2x 2.5" SSD
Cooling: 2/3x 120mm fans. The fan cooling the GPU can be mounted to a bottom-fed air duct.
Manufacturer: Spotswood Computer Cases, LLC

Specifications

Material
: Anodized aluminum extrusion and aluminum sheeting bolted together i.e. can ship flat.
Dimensions: (W x H x D): 230 x 315 x 295, 22.4L
Footprint: 230 x 295mm
Graphic cards support: Three-Slot Slot GPU up to 200/225mm (with/without bottom fan)
Motherboard support: Mini-ITX and mini-DTX (90-degree motherboard mounting orientation)
Power Supply support: ATX and SFX
CPU Heatsink support: ~75mm height (ATX PSU), ~100mm height (SFX PSU)
Drives: 2x 2.5" HDD/SSD
Cooling: 3x 120mm fans. The fan cooling the GPU is mounted to a bottom-fed air duct.
Manufacturer: Spotswood Computer Cases, LLC

Last edited:
Reactions: confusis

BaK

King of Cable Management
Bronze Supporter
May 17, 2016
I think I replied to your thread at OCN, to which this case looks like a shorter version.
Still big for us though , shrink it even more XD

Windfall

Shrink Ray Wielder
SFFn Staff
Nov 14, 2017
The case was made inhouse from 15mm and 20mm aluminum extrusions and .05-inch sheeting. The sheeting was cut on our CNC:

This is the bottom sheet:

So, is your goal production?

Any estimated cost at this time?

Spotswood

Average Stuffer
Original poster
Spotswood Cases
Jul 18, 2015
I can fabricate this basic design at any height to accommodate longer GPUs (even offer multiple sizes at the same time).

What large size GPUs would be appropriate to air cool in such a case (I'm assuming that there is a cutoff to where the builder would want to water cool)?

Last edited:

Tazpr

Master of Cramming
Aug 7, 2018
Cool case - I like the vertical design with an airflow focus!

Out of curiosity, why such a large void at the top?
In my opinion, you could improve the internal compatibility by moving the IO section up 50-ish-mm to allow for reference design GPU's then also improving AIO compatibility on the bottom fans without increasing total volume at all.

low profile and 90 degree cable connectors and extensions are pretty common these days and I think the appeal of a vertical designed case with vertical airflow and thick high end graphics card support would lead to higher demand.

I don't think there's a cut off - the time and maintainance required for water cooling is a lot and some people want a beast of a card that uses the manufacturer design. I think for air cooled GPU's they often come in under 300x60mm of GPU clearance space, most high end cards are about 280-300mm long with 2.5 slot coolers - some people do just want an air cooled design they don't have to maintain, me included.

Reactions: Spotswood

Spotswood

Average Stuffer
Original poster
Spotswood Cases
Jul 18, 2015
Cool case - I like the vertical design with an airflow focus!

Out of curiosity, why such a large void at the top?
In my opinion, you could improve the internal compatibility by moving the IO section up 50-ish-mm to allow for reference design GPU's then also improving AIO compatibility on the bottom fans without increasing total volume at all.

low profile and 90 degree cable connectors and extensions are pretty common these days and I think the appeal of a vertical designed case with vertical airflow and thick high end graphics card support would lead to higher demand.

I don't think there's a cut off - the time and maintainance required for water cooling is a lot and some people want a beast of a card that uses the manufacturer design. I think for air cooled GPU's they often come in under 300x60mm of GPU clearance space, most high end cards are about 280-300mm long with 2.5 slot coolers - some people do just want an air cooled design they don't have to maintain, me included.

The void at the top is only about 60mm, but could be reduced a bit. This case has ZERO support for AIOs. I have a separate case designed specifically for water cooling.

I'm inclined to build this design at two different heights: for GPUs that are 200mm and 300(?)mm long (both 3-slot wide).

Last edited: