Smallest Motherboard with GPU Support?

P2theG1

Chassis Packer
Original poster
Jul 13, 2017
What is the smallest currently purchasable or soon to be purchasable motherboard that can support a GPU (Either full size or MXM)?

I want to build myself a full capable mini pc but with a minimum GPU Spec of a GTX1070, preferably a GTX1080 or 1080ti though if this is possible, I noticed that AsRock displayed a Mini STX Motherboard that could also support MXM GPU's but I can't find much on purchasing information or consumer availability, also I have no idea where to start in obtaining a MXM GTX1080 GPU, the other option I have noticed people mentioning is the use of a Mini STX Motherboard and then using a M.2 to PCI-E 3 x4 adapter to add a Desktop GPU.

What would be the smallest possible way of achieving my aim, size wise? And what is actually possible, I dont want to plan to build around the STX MXM motherboard if I will never be able to buy it or if I would be better off choosing the Standard STX board and a M.2 to PCI-E Adapter

Any help would be greatly appreciated :)

Necere

Shrink Ray Wielder
NCASE
Feb 22, 2015
Anything smaller than Mini-ITX requires you to jump through a lot of of hoops to get running, and with cases like the S4 mini down in the 4.5 liter range, it seems a little hard to justify if you just want something small, IMO.

P2theG1

Chassis Packer
Original poster
Jul 13, 2017
Anything smaller than Mini-ITX requires you to jump through a lot of hoops to get running, and with cases like the S4 mini down in the 4.5 liter range, it seems a little hard to justify if you just want something small, IMO.

Well, I have planned out a Custom Mini ITX Case that is 65mm x 350mm x 230mm, do you think that it's probably not worth making it any smaller? It is my first attempt at making my own case so I don't have a lot of experience when it comes to case design

Josh | NFC

Not From Concentrate
NFC Systems
Jun 12, 2015
www.nfc-systems.com
I sent emails out to people who were interested in purchasing a MXM based custom system from me. These were all people who understood the price would be a premium and let me know that ahead of time they were interested.

Once they found out the cost of ordering a 1070/1080 MXM card (and this was in a buy of 10) they all bailed (I don't blame them!)

I think this would be a very fun project, but as Necere pointed out, it will be a challenge, and come at an insane cost.

Last edited:

P2theG1

Chassis Packer
Original poster
Jul 13, 2017
I sent emails out to people who were interested in purchasing a MXM based custom system from me. These were all people who understood the price would be a premium and let me know that ahead of time they were interested.

Once they found out the cost of ordering a 1070/1080 MXM card (and this was in a buy of 10) they all bailed.

I think this would be a very fun project, but as Necere pointed out, it will be a challenge, and come at an insane cost.

Thanks for your Input, especially from yourself (Someone whose drive to improve SFF PC's I admire), by the sounds of it at the moment it's not a cost effective decision to save just an extra little bit of space and potentially lose future upgrade options plus the huge material costs in regards to the GPU, thank you for giving me such advice, this forum and the SFF community is amazing and I for one can't wait to become a member of it in the future once I get my new Case/ITX rig constructed and shared with everyone here, many thanks for the help :) Peter.G

Reactions: Josh | NFC